What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

So what happens if you smoke powdery mildew?

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
You have to wonder how many people smoke mildew?
or SM90 or any of the pesticides?

I'm sure there are many things that make your medicine less than helpful.

I know you cant see it all... and if i plant is infected isnt every inch of that plant infected? I know some cut off the "Bad parts" and think they are ok...

Last edited:

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
PM can lead to respiratory infections. If you happen to have the aspergillus mold, you will contract a lung disease called aspergillosis, for which there is no cure. If someone with a compromised immune system smokes any moldy or mildewy product, the resulting infection could kill them.

This is why I use things like Eagle20 as a preventative, no amount of infection is acceptable to me or my patients.

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
PM can lead to respiratory infections. If you happen to have the aspergillus mold, you will contract a lung disease called aspergillosis, for which there is no cure. If someone with a compromised immune system smokes any moldy or mildewy product, the resulting infection could kill them.

This is why I use things like Eagle20 as a preventative, no amount of infection is acceptable to me or my patients.

that's what i thought.

Is there any test one can do to check for PM?

I kept reading the title over and over.. and yeah all spelled correctly... just the wrong word..
Powder Mildew..

burnt out og'er
Veteran
Inhaling mold spores can be very bad on the lungs.
Think "mushroom lung" <- google that one, but count on at least a possible lung infection with chronic bronchitis. These lung problems can lead to other serious lung problems such as copd emphysema and the need to own your very own nebulizer machine for daily albuterol lung function maintenance just like me.

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
and the heat from the flame or vaporizer cannot overcome the spores?
I can hear some saying that would burn up any spores.. but i assume as soon as you touch or grind the medicine up that's when the transfer happens or just opening the container.

I will say this, depending on how long you have been using cannabis and how many different people you may have accessed the product from, you have smoked PM, Spider Mites, Pesticides, etc...No way to ever know 100% what pests or disease may have infested the grow. With that said I wouldn't make a habit of smoking PM bud, but I think everyone that hasn't grown their own has smoked some crap at some point.

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
That's my guess as well. Not saying it will kill you in one shot.. but if its "Medicine" it should be clean as it can be..

igrowone

Veteran
i have seen some interesting posts on vaporizers and mold
there seems to be good evidence a vaporizer will sterilize mold spores
but read up on this before making a health decision

Arthritis_sucks

The Dude
Veteran
Random internet pothead's? Ouch to those of us professionals out here. So all potheads are dumb I guess and we wouldn't be able to become a Doctor, Lawyer, ect.

Speak for yourself not this community!:gday:

Tip of the day: Ask a doctor medical questions, not random internet potheads

Arthritis_sucks

The Dude
Veteran
I've smoked some imported hash that had some mold on it. Will never do that again (it was leb. Blonde an couldn't pass it up), left me with a sore throat for 1 1/2 weeks. Not worth it IMHO.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
You have to wonder how many people smoke mildew?
or SM90 or any of the pesticides?

I'm sure there are many things that make your medicine less than helpful.

I know you cant see it all... and if i plant is infected isnt every inch of that plant infected? I know some cut off the "Bad parts" and think they are ok...

i can feel the thick powder mildew smoke coating my lungs if i smoke pm bud. i dont think it is good in any way......

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
RE: Eagle20

This agent is only approved for ornamental plants, i.e. the nursery stock industry.

From the product's MSDS are a couple of interesting warnings:

WARNING: This product contains a chemical(s) known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm. The chemical is Myclobutanil CAS # 088671-89-0.

WARNING: This product contains a chemical(s) known to the State of California to cause cancer. The chemical is Naphthalene CAS # 000091-20-3.

POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS: This section includes possible adverse effects, which could occur if this material is not handled in the recommended manner.

EYE: May cause moderate irritation.

SKIN: Brief contact may cause slight skin irritation with local redness. The LD50 for skin absorption in rats is >2000 mg/kg. Prolonged skin contact is unlikely to result in absorption of harmful amounts. Did not cause allergic skin reactions when tested in guinea pigs.

INGESTION: Low toxicity if swallowed. Small amounts swallowed incidental to normal handling operations are not likely to cause injury; however, swallowing larger amounts may cause injury. Swallowing may result in gastrointestinal irritation or ulceration. Aspiration into the lungs may occur during ingestion or vomiting, causing lung damage, even death due to chemical pneumonia. The oral LD50 for rats is 3749 mg/kg (females) and >5000 mg/kg (males). Excessive exposure may cause neurologic signs and symptoms. Observations in animals include: convulsions. Symptom: muscle spasms or twitches.

INHALATION: Prolonged excessive exposure to mist may cause adverse effects. Excessive exposure may cause irritation to upper respiratory tract (nose and throat) and lungs. May cause central nervous system effects. Symptoms of excessive exposure may be anesthetic or narcotic effects; dizziness and drowsiness may be observed. Signs and symptoms of excessive exposure may include: sweating, nausea and/or vomiting.

SYSTEMIC (OTHER TARGET ORGAN) EFFECTS: For myclobutanil, in animals, effects have been reported on the following organs: liver, testes, adrenal gland, kidney, and thyroid. For the solvent, in animals, effects have been reported on the following organs: gastrointestinal tract, lungs, thyroid, and urinary tract. Dose levels producing these effects were many times higher than any dose levels expected from exposure due to use. Hypothermia has occurred in animals following skin or inhalation exposures to cyclohexanone. Cataracts and other eye effects have been reported in humans repeatedly exposed to naphthalene vapor or dust. In rare cases, repeated excessive exposure to propylene glycol may cause central nervous system effects.​

Lovely.......................

CC

M

Marywanna

Well,let me see Tripsick.....would it be acceptable to you if the Ampicillin your kid needs for bronchitis has DDT in it? I am one of the people that has no immune system. That stuff could kill me. Man I hope to God you are not a caregiver or medical grower. Insulting others on this Forum that obviously know the answer to your question blows. The fact that you would even consider letting people smoke it shows you don't give a rats ass about the bad effects. MW

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
Well,let me see Tripsick.....would it be acceptable to you if the Ampicillin your kid needs for bronchitis has DDT in it? I am one of the people that has no immune system. That stuff could kill me. Man I hope to God you are not a caregiver or medical grower. Insulting others on this Forum that obviously know the answer to your question blows. The fact that you would even consider letting people smoke it shows you don't give a rats ass about the bad effects. MW

what? are you talking to me? my immune system is way fucked up... thanks for asking.

Please try and re-read this thread... I would never do anything with Powdery Mildew..

I want to know of a test that can detect PM... All dispensaries should be forced to test all their products..

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Here's a couple of MSDS for products favored by so-called medical growers.

Floramite - note that the manufacturer recommends that it NOT be used on fruit bearing plants for at least 12 months.

The manufacturer also boasts of the 'residual effect' that the application of Floramite provides against future invaders. I'm sure that it's okay to use on something that you might smoke but probably not something that one might use for making edible cannabis concoctions.

Avid - no comment required.

"Better living through modern chemistry!"

CC

Random internet pothead's? Ouch to those of us professionals out here. So all potheads are dumb I guess and we wouldn't be able to become a Doctor, Lawyer, ect.

Speak for yourself not this community!:gday:

Thanks for putting words in my mouth....in what way didn't I speak for myself and in what why did I say potheads are stupid..?