Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Hydro > Stems are turning purple during week 3 of flower

Thread Title Search
Stems are turning purple during week 3 of flower Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2020, 04:11 AM #11
Medicine, Man

Medicine, Man has a spectacular aura aboutMedicine, Man has a spectacular aura aboutMedicine, Man has a spectacular aura aboutMedicine, Man has a spectacular aura aboutMedicine, Man has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, could be, especially heavy Cookie/OG/Indica/Chem genetics, which just seem hungrier overall, especially for magnesium.... All those TMV "variegations" that could be solved with a little Epsom salts... Which is why you just add the Epsom... If they're green, but have purple petioles to their fan leaves, and purple stripes on the main stalk, they might just need more mg.

If they're not dark green, yellowing down below, and have purple fan stems, boost your nutrients overall, not just mg...
Medicine, Man is offline Quote

Old 08-01-2020, 05:47 AM #12
tilopa

tilopa will become famous soon enoughtilopa will become famous soon enough
I just finished a run using LEDs for the first time. The strain was Forbidden Fruit which gets pretty purple at the end. About 3 weeks into flower the buds started getting purple. I was a little concerned at first but then figured maybe it was because of the fuller spectrum of light, I'm using CRI 90. But maybe I should have given them more Mag.

At the end of the day I felt the buds were more purple and had a stronger smell than with my HPS lights. But I think the yield was slightly lower with the LED.
tilopa is offline Quote

Old 08-01-2020, 05:40 PM #13
overbudjet

overbudjet is just really niceoverbudjet is just really niceoverbudjet is just really niceoverbudjet is just really niceoverbudjet is just really niceoverbudjet is just really niceoverbudjet is just really niceoverbudjet is just really niceoverbudjet is just really niceoverbudjet is just really niceoverbudjet is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicine, Man View Post
I think he thinks you only need magnesium, which is why he's just recommending the Epsom salts. No sense adding extra calcium if you don't need it. Plus the Epsom would give you a little extra sulphur, for the funky smells... Just my guess though.

Right on!

Epsom salt is an old grower trick for purple stem .SSHZ is also right some genetic are prone to purple stem .

peace to all
overbudjet is offline Quote

Old 08-01-2020, 07:31 PM #14
ilovesluts420

ilovesluts420 is on a distinguished road
It’s odd bc I have the same strain in hugos in which the stems are turning purple. I also have the same strain in coco and the stems remain green. I’m noticing the plants like the coco a lot better. Hugo’s are a pain in the ass. Next run I’m going all coco
ilovesluts420 is offline Quote

Old 08-02-2020, 06:39 AM #15
sshz

sshz is just really nicesshz is just really nicesshz is just really nicesshz is just really nicesshz is just really nicesshz is just really nicesshz is just really nicesshz is just really nicesshz is just really nicesshz is just really nicesshz is just really nice
No, LED lights do not cause any kind of nutrient deficiency; purple streaks on stems and petioles are a normal response to exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light.

A rumor was started that LED lights cause magnesium deficiency when people noticed that some plants develop purple petioles (leaf stalks) or streaks on the stems under LED lights, but not under HPS lights. While purple coloration on stems and petioles can be one of the signs of magnesium deficiency in plants, it is also a sign that the plant is producing natural purple pigments (anthocyanin) in response to ultraviolet (UV) light. Many artificial lights (including HPS and most LEDs) don't give off UV light, so plants grown under these lights don't produce this natural pigmentation. Under these UV-lacking lights, purple coloration is often a sign of magnesium deficiency. However, when grown under UV-containing lights or natural sunlight, plants will produce their full range of natural pigmentation-- it is not necessarily a sign of a nutrient deficiency.

The major symptom of magnesium deficiency is usually yellowing, blotchy-looking (chlorotic) leaves, accompanied by purple stems and petioles. When growing under LED grow lights, unless the leaves are chlorotic, purple stems and petioles are not a sign of a magnesium deficiency-- they are a sign of a happy, healthy plant."
sshz is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:37 PM #16
Substitute

Substitute has a spectacular aura aboutSubstitute has a spectacular aura aboutSubstitute has a spectacular aura aboutSubstitute has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshz View Post
No, LED lights do not cause any kind of nutrient deficiency; purple streaks on stems and petioles are a normal response to exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light.

A rumor was started that LED lights cause magnesium deficiency when people noticed that some plants develop purple petioles (leaf stalks) or streaks on the stems under LED lights, but not under HPS lights. While purple coloration on stems and petioles can be one of the signs of magnesium deficiency in plants, it is also a sign that the plant is producing natural purple pigments (anthocyanin) in response to ultraviolet (UV) light. Many artificial lights (including HPS and most LEDs) don't give off UV light, so plants grown under these lights don't produce this natural pigmentation. Under these UV-lacking lights, purple coloration is often a sign of magnesium deficiency. However, when grown under UV-containing lights or natural sunlight, plants will produce their full range of natural pigmentation-- it is not necessarily a sign of a nutrient deficiency.

The major symptom of magnesium deficiency is usually yellowing, blotchy-looking (chlorotic) leaves, accompanied by purple stems and petioles. When growing under LED grow lights, unless the leaves are chlorotic, purple stems and petioles are not a sign of a magnesium deficiency-- they are a sign of a happy, healthy plant."

Great explanation! Sounds reasonable. My plants are growing under a good amount of UV...and they show natural purple streaks and pigmentation under the light...and they are heatlhy!
Substitute is offline Quote

Old 08-02-2020, 05:41 PM #17
ilovesluts420

ilovesluts420 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Whatttt my whole LED life has been a lie...
ilovesluts420 is offline Quote

Old 08-02-2020, 06:13 PM #18
roybart

roybart is just really niceroybart is just really niceroybart is just really niceroybart is just really niceroybart is just really niceroybart is just really niceroybart is just really niceroybart is just really niceroybart is just really nice
I have 3 Grand Daddy Purple under 6K white LED , never seen UV.
2 have purple stems one doesn't. All in the same bucket same food same light source.
So it can be plant specific for sure..
Like the other's said, if it looks healthy give it love, find something else to get confused about LOL

Also lets not forget, its a weed and can recover from a lot of stuff. Nature provides chaos as part of the life cycle.
Pruning by animals, LST by wind, Hot sun to overcast , humidity can be all over the map. bad air because of a bush fire. Topping by falling limbs, loss of a shade tree or gain of an unwanted shade tree.
All of these variables and still plants survive.
One should only over medicate friends and family. the girls do better on their own unmediated.
roybart is offline Quote

Old 08-02-2020, 06:49 PM #19
Medicine, Man

Medicine, Man has a spectacular aura aboutMedicine, Man has a spectacular aura aboutMedicine, Man has a spectacular aura aboutMedicine, Man has a spectacular aura aboutMedicine, Man has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
No, LED lights do not cause any kind of nutrient deficiency...

That's a pretty bold statement, and I think many LED growers would respectfully disagree, based on their experiences and observations.

If yours are all healthy, that's awesome- sounds like you found the right combinations of nutrient levels and light intensity for your setup, and ahead of the curve a lot of LED guys are facing!

What nutes do you like to run, and what kind of light coverage?

Since most of the people having these issues have been under different "white" light LEDs, like the OPs, that don't have UV unless you add it,
wouldn't you think his situation would be the beginning stages of deficiency?

I'd agree regarding the blotchy yellow leaves, but it seems like that comes later, after the purple petioles and stem streaking. I guess if he starts seeing that, maybe he can start thinking it might be a deficiency.

Good luck OP! Let us know how they progress.

Pictures and/or more details would help avoid some of these sub conversations we're having. Stuff like what wattage you're running the lights, how far from the plants, what strain the plants in question are, type of medium, feed, etc. A better overall picture for us should get a better, quicker overall answer for you ;-)
Medicine, Man is offline Quote

Old 08-02-2020, 08:56 PM #20
Substitute

Substitute has a spectacular aura aboutSubstitute has a spectacular aura aboutSubstitute has a spectacular aura aboutSubstitute has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by roybart View Post
Nature provides chaos as part of the life cycle.

You can say that again, in general. My life is chaotic enough.
Substitute is offline Quote