Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science > Cannabis, the effect from increasing photo-period by only 15 or 30 min.

Thread Title Search
Cannabis, the effect from increasing photo-period by only 15 or 30 min. Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-17-2014, 05:28 PM #191
StrongBeef
Banned

StrongBeef will become famous soon enoughStrongBeef will become famous soon enough
I smell a tissy fit.
StrongBeef is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:10 AM #192
blueberrydrumz

blueberrydrumz has a spectacular aura aboutblueberrydrumz has a spectacular aura aboutblueberrydrumz has a spectacular aura aboutblueberrydrumz has a spectacular aura aboutblueberrydrumz has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddleme View Post
up or down there is a lot of info out there, most notably articles/books by DJ Short where he explains that you can bring out indica features using a 13/11 schedule and sativa features with an 11/13. He also says to go plus or minus in 15 min increments to find sweet spots for various genetic traits.

For the last year I have run 11:20/12:40 to get sat traits to show and it works great. I just recently switched to a 6.5 hours on, .5 off, 4 on, 13 off schedule to see if I can lesson the effects of midday depression.

and don't forget the gaslight 12/1 veg lighting
what has your testing shown youe bout the re midday depression..
does that 6.5 on .5 off 4 on 13 off scedule change Yield & Quality wise?
thx
blueberrydrumz is offline Quote

Old 12-25-2014, 03:18 PM #193
Riddleme

Riddleme is just really niceRiddleme is just really niceRiddleme is just really niceRiddleme is just really niceRiddleme is just really niceRiddleme is just really niceRiddleme is just really niceRiddleme is just really niceRiddleme is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydrumz View Post
what has your testing shown youe bout the re midday depression..
does that 6.5 on .5 off 4 on 13 off scedule change Yield & Quality wise?
thx
I breed, so my current run is a seed run, it is about done with 3 left to harvest, so yield is measured by seeds LOL but quality in my garden is off the charts because of other things I do. The light schedule has not diminished quality at all. and the plants are doing great that I just flipped 2 weeks ago for a bud run, you are welcome to follow along ,,,,
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=295624
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S_SAM_3431.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	297404
Riddleme is offline Quote

Old 01-21-2015, 11:42 PM #194
Bubbleblower

Bubbleblower has a spectacular aura aboutBubbleblower has a spectacular aura aboutBubbleblower has a spectacular aura aboutBubbleblower has a spectacular aura about
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE
Bubbleblower is offline Quote

Old 10-15-2015, 07:55 PM #195
BullDogDad

BullDogDad has a spectacular aura aboutBullDogDad has a spectacular aura aboutBullDogDad has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Test Team View Post
I don't see such changes in those leaves (from wide to narrow in the sense of typical 'indica' and 'sativa' leaves). At least nothing short of normal growth changes that I've seen many times from various hybridized cultivars at 12 hour photoperiod (I very rarely grow varieties).
Yeah to me those just look like typical growth changes you see in the average plant. Also, I think young plants have wider leaves. I'm growing HMxBB right now. A true sativa. When they were young (6 to 12in tall) the leaves were quite wide, looking similar to some Shark Shocks I've grown! But as the plant grew the leaves began to thin out. Even before the switch to flower. Then it occurred to me, wide leaves at a young age are probably a good adaptive survival strategy. Bigger leaves means father growth. And the bigger the plant the less likely it is to be killed off by adversity be that climactic, predatory, etc. so I'm not sure that witnessing these growth changes necessarily correlates with a change in genotype. The changes might actually be the genotype.

The gist I got from DJ was simply that, when dealing with land race strains, which have spent decades adapting to niche environments, it's beneficial to mimic as closely as possible the plants native environamental conditions so the plant can most fully express its potential in an otherwise unnatural environment.
BullDogDad is offline Quote

Old 10-17-2015, 12:27 AM #196
SpaceJunkOG

SpaceJunkOG will become famous soon enoughSpaceJunkOG will become famous soon enoughSpaceJunkOG will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddleme View Post
1st pic is a Mango (KC Brains) that I grew in 2011, back then I was experimenting with increased light timing from 12:30/13:30 to 13/11. Note that the leaves ALL have an Indica look to em

2nd pic is my current Mango now in week 5 of flower. Light timing is 10:30/13:30. You can see that the lower leaves are all fat and Indica looking as they were made in Veg under 18/6 (was before I started playing with Gaslight veg) (which I love by the way) and all the new leaves are skinny Sat looking leaves

crazy. I do 10:30/13:30 right now too and I also have a Durban that goes amber in like week 5 or 6 (and finishes in 10), i think you were the one who mentioned the same thing about Durban earlier in the thread? It does it to other African landraces as well, . . . . the trichs start going amber halfway through, while the rest are clear, the cloudiness doesn't even set in until around 13 - 14 wks, then they finish around 16wks with mostly cloudy and a bunch of amber. the high still completely cerebral. never seen anything like it with other genetics. not sure how big a role the photoperiod plays.

the whole reason for 10:30 daylength for me was emulating South Africa's daylength because that's a majority of the genetics i grow right now, I want them to feel at home. it's about 10:30 visible light hours during what would be their harvest season. i start at 11/13 and go down to 10:30 in 1 minute increments each day for the first 30 days of flower.
SpaceJunkOG is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:41 PM #197
shaggyballs
Banned

shaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond repute
Red light is suppoed to be the key to running long light cycles.
Is anyone using red light at night to run longer than 12 hours in flower?
shaggyballs is offline Quote

Old 06-16-2019, 12:28 AM #198
Charles Dankens

Charles Dankens is a glorious beacon of lightCharles Dankens is a glorious beacon of lightCharles Dankens is a glorious beacon of lightCharles Dankens is a glorious beacon of lightCharles Dankens is a glorious beacon of lightCharles Dankens is a glorious beacon of lightCharles Dankens is a glorious beacon of lightCharles Dankens is a glorious beacon of lightCharles Dankens is a glorious beacon of lightCharles Dankens is a glorious beacon of lightCharles Dankens is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyballs View Post
Red light is suppoed to be the key to running long light cycles.

I built a far red bar and ran 13.5-10.5 for a few runs. It seemed to work fine. When i updated my rig with brighter more efficient cobs i calculated my ppfd to be over 1k . Because the irradiance was so intense i cocluded that 12'hours or even 10.5 hours was likely maxing out cannabis DLI. Likely wasting energy and possibly damaging the plant. Im still running the far red bar but im back on a 12/12 schedule. Getting the plants into lights-out mode more rapidly through 15 mins of far red may shorten flowering period.

Im not an expert at all so my assumptions may be faulty and my reasoning mistaken.

There is tons of info about far red over on riu. Among the canna sites riu seems to contain the most info on led technical details with regards to MJ.
Charles Dankens is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:25 AM #199
shaggyballs
Banned

shaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond repute
This was cutting edge at the time!

shaggyballs is offline Quote

Old 07-30-2020, 08:13 PM #200
Acannademia

Acannademia will become famous soon enoughAcannademia will become famous soon enough
There's too many garbage posts diluting quality information in this thread... Can somebody please link me with data using both DLI and PPFD as fixed effects?

I am a trained plant scientist. I work in legal cannabis production and monitor cannabinoid levels through HPLC. Here's some anecdotal evidence that in terms of DLI, the answer is 'it depends':

I recently shifted from indoor production facilities to greenhouse. The PPFD I used in indoor was 1000-1600 PPFD but in the greenhouse environment I only have light intensity of 150-400 PPFD. I've always used 12/12 photoperiod, so DLI is much lower in greenhouse. I don't have experimental data comparing DLIs, but I routinely hit the same or better cannabinoid levels in the greenhouse across a large variety of genotypes as what we would typically see in indoor production. In terms of bud morphology, I believe that yield is lower in the greenhouse but flowers are generally as dense as indoor (except when heat-waves hit).

Colleagues of mine have whispered rumours that they've identified genotypes which have peak cannabinoid production at low DLI, as well as other genotypes that have peak cannabinoid production in high DLI (typical of indoor). It is likely that the optimal DLI level is highly genotype-specific and that it can vary dramatically.
Acannademia is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.