Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Propagation > Having tough go with seedlings, learning techniques.

Thread Title Search
Having tough go with seedlings, learning techniques. Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-28-2020, 06:45 AM #11
Ivan Milat

Ivan Milat will become famous soon enough
Hey buddie,

As a seed starts sprouting it does not need nutrients at all. It will probably shoot out two seed leafes first and then the first set of leafes with one finger and then the next set with more then one finger. From then on i would give some nutrients. I usually use only rhizotonic up to this stage. Whrn you see that the seed leafes are yellowed and dried, that means the growing plant sucked the nutes out of them to get started. It's like a baby getting fed by moms placenta till it's born basically. Set your ph right only and dont keep them too wet or dry around the 28 degrees and you should see resluts within a week.

Once you butchered your seedlings they will usually never become as good as they could have been. I would probably start over again.
If you use a heat mat make sure you lift everything of the ground not to dry the grow medium out. And also make sure it doesnt sit in a puddle of water which would drown them.

A really nice way of doing it,is using a heat mat..then take the bottom of a little greenhouse (propagation thingie)and fill water in it. Take another bottom part of a greenhouse and put it on top so that the water inbetween gets warmed and spreads nicely underneath the seedlings. This way you avoid drying out or drowing them and you wont hav3 hotspots from the heat mat.

I hope you could follow my thoughts.

If mot hit me up and i try to find some pics online.

Good luck
Ivan Milat is offline Quote

Old 07-28-2020, 06:45 AM #12
bushed

bushed is just really nicebushed is just really nicebushed is just really nicebushed is just really nicebushed is just really nicebushed is just really nicebushed is just really nicebushed is just really nicebushed is just really nicebushed is just really nicebushed is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogman View Post
I thought that was kind of an ignorant response and didn't address anything.

Thanks though

You saw ignorance I saw practical advice that in fact addressed everything. If you are struggling to start a seed you are going to have a really hard time in rock wool, its an extremely unforgiving medium.

Two irrefutable truth's its really easy to grow weed in soil and the worst thing you can do for a plant is to over love it.

Just an idea, grab some soil from a forest floor that's had chance to rot for a while, stick a seed in it under your light do nothing but water it occasionally, carry on with your experiments into rock wool. See which plant you have the most success with and which one you would rather smoke at the end.

I hope you don't take my post the wrong way, everyone here wants to see you success and grow great weed.
bushed is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:00 AM #13
Deep State

Deep State has much to be proud ofDeep State has much to be proud ofDeep State has much to be proud ofDeep State has much to be proud ofDeep State has much to be proud ofDeep State has much to be proud ofDeep State has much to be proud ofDeep State has much to be proud ofDeep State has much to be proud ofDeep State has much to be proud ofDeep State has much to be proud of
Totally agree with Mr. J.... don't overthink it or over complicate things ESPECIALLY for your first grow.

Also, agree with bushed and Aridbud, stuff like rockwool is unforgiving and you have to make sure it's only moist, not soaking wet.

I would recommend a cheap bag of soil raising mixture and a warm window of heat mat for germination, and keep it away from intense light until it's got a few leaves.

To me (i could be wrong) the way your seedling is white it looks like light bleaching from too much light, for a sensitive little sprout.

Be a minimalist with seeds/seedlings and don't practice with expensive seeds.

Good luck.
Deep State is online now Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:45 PM #14
zachrockbadenof

zachrockbadenof has much to be proud ofzachrockbadenof has much to be proud ofzachrockbadenof has much to be proud ofzachrockbadenof has much to be proud ofzachrockbadenof has much to be proud ofzachrockbadenof has much to be proud ofzachrockbadenof has much to be proud ofzachrockbadenof has much to be proud ofzachrockbadenof has much to be proud ofzachrockbadenof has much to be proud ofzachrockbadenof has much to be proud of
stick the seed in soil, water and give it lite.... OOPS... i think someone mite have already given that advice....
zachrockbadenof is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:29 PM #15
Switcher56
Comfortably numb!

Switcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
Seriously bro, stick it in some dirt under a fluorescent or even on the window sill. All that shit you're doing or plan to do is just overkill. Let's just get the things to grow for a minute before we start worrying about UV and IR and peroxide and the whole deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogman View Post
I thought that was kind of an ignorant response and didn't address anything.

Thanks though
Then read a book!

I don't want you to trust me. I want you to doubt me.
I want you to question me. I want you to look at the facts! ~ Snowden

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding.
The highest form of knowledge is Empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world" ~ Bill Bullard

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience,
but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest
the crotch of the person who screws up your day and,
may their arms be too short to scratch...
Switcher56 is offline Quote

Old 07-28-2020, 02:30 PM #16
Switcher56
Comfortably numb!

Switcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushed View Post
You saw ignorance I saw practical advice that in fact addressed everything. If you are struggling to start a seed you are going to have a really hard time in rock wool, its an extremely unforgiving medium.

Two irrefutable truth's its really easy to grow weed in soil and the worst thing you can do for a plant is to over love it.

Just an idea, grab some soil from a forest floor that's had chance to rot for a while, stick a seed in it under your light do nothing but water it occasionally, carry on with your experiments into rock wool. See which plant you have the most success with and which one you would rather smoke at the end.

I hope you don't take my post the wrong way, everyone here wants to see you success and grow great weed.
^^what he said ^^

@OP
peat pellets are touch and go as others have pointed out. I quit using them some time ago, and went directly to a 4" pot, using what I use (HP Promix = very very forgiving) and never had one fail again.

I don't want you to trust me. I want you to doubt me.
I want you to question me. I want you to look at the facts! ~ Snowden

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding.
The highest form of knowledge is Empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world" ~ Bill Bullard

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience,
but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest
the crotch of the person who screws up your day and,
may their arms be too short to scratch...
Switcher56 is offline Quote

Old 07-30-2020, 02:34 AM #17
mexweed

mexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud of
cloning directly into soil is best too
mexweed is offline Quote

Old 07-30-2020, 06:02 AM #18
Joint Lock

Joint Lock is a jewel in the roughJoint Lock is a jewel in the roughJoint Lock is a jewel in the roughJoint Lock is a jewel in the roughJoint Lock is a jewel in the roughJoint Lock is a jewel in the roughJoint Lock is a jewel in the roughJoint Lock is a jewel in the rough
Pre soak the cubes in 5.0 water this will leave u with run off from cubes of 6.0

Like said all u need to do is spray the cube a few times a day with PH 6.0 water . Keep the cube damp not soaked like stated . The plant is small it really doesnt need alot at the stage your at
Joint Lock is offline Quote

Old 07-30-2020, 02:22 PM #19
MrFancyPlants

MrFancyPlants has a spectacular aura aboutMrFancyPlants has a spectacular aura aboutMrFancyPlants has a spectacular aura aboutMrFancyPlants has a spectacular aura about
You need CalMag.

Oh, wait, this isn’t r/microgrowery? /s

But in all seriousness, be careful with the heat mat. I’ve never used them, even in the winter, but I’ve heard that they are more likely to cook the seed than to actually help it germinate.

In your picture it looks like there is a humidity dome as well. While it may be helpful in maintaining a consistent environment for your seedling, it can also cause fungal issues due to lack of airflow and humidity that’s too high.
MrFancyPlants is offline Quote