What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Antibiotics, etc In Manure.. Anything To Worry About?

B

Bluemater

Hi, I have no doubt that there is antibiotics galore as well as plenty of other nasty shit like deworming agents (there's enough levimisole in coke these days, who wants it in their weed?) So I was wondering.. If one can not get manure from an organic farm or does not trust the manure labelled as organic is there anything to worry 'bout anyway? I've done a lil research and it seems many have a short half life under the right conditions so you reckon there's anything to stress over? Don't want anything fkn with the herd!

LadyGuru

I always let my horse poop sit for 6 months before giving it to the worms. The deworming agents are gone and they don't effect the worm bins. So let the poop sit for a while, IMO.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I always let my horse poop sit for 6 months before giving it to the worms. The deworming agents are gone and they don't effect the worm bins. So let the poop sit for a while, IMO.

Absolutely true and one reason I prefer horse poo over cow manure which can contain residual antibiotics longterm. Horses only receive antibiotics occasionally while cattle can have it administered as a matter of course.

Even waiting only 2 months is likely okay.

wetdog

The 'best', or I should say the 'safest' cow manure AFA your concerns would be manure from dairy cows like Black Kow brand. Milk is so highly regulated and tested for any sorts of contaminates (milk is tested in the tanker before it even leaves the farm), that dairy cow manure is the least contaminated of commercially available manures.

Of course sourcing manure from a organic operation is likely the best situation it is also the least likely to be found.

Wet

Klompen

Absolutely true and one reason I prefer horse poo over cow manure which can contain residual antibiotics longterm. Horses only receive antibiotics occasionally while cattle can have it administered as a matter of course.

Even waiting only 2 months is likely okay.

Horse poop also has better properties for growing mycellium in my experience. Also, it tends to have more Fire Fang on it in the field than cow poo does. Some of the best compost I have ever used was discarded mycellium cakes from cubensis grows done with vermiculite and horse manure.

Latest posts

Latest posts