What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Question about aquarium water for plants

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
are your fish still alive?

can be a good way to feed as soil nutes are running out

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
aquarium water works wonders on burnt spots in the lawn

cant speak to container garrdens

just sayin if additives dont harm the fish it wont harm plants; maybe go easy and see for yourself

kb2243

I guess I am not asking the right way. I do use the water on other indoor plants. I wanted to know if by using the water conditioner would make my marijuana unhealthy.

Bunz

Do a search on aquaponics. It's a method of growing using the bacteria waste that fish create to feed your plants. Hydro warehouse here has a display setup and the employee said they were some of the best tasting vegetables he's ever eaten.

Bunz :D

S

SeaMaiden

I have a fish tank with gold fish in it. If I use a product like Amazon.com: Kordon Amquel Plus Water Conditioner: Pet Supplies
is the water safe to give to my plants?
Yup, it's fine. The active ingredient in most aquarium dechlorinators is sodium thiosulfate, at around a 1%-3% solution. As a product that 'neutralizes' ammonia, nitrite and nitrate (results of the nitrification process) I question the wisdom of using this regularly on the fish tank, but that's another issue. It could force you to feed more nitrogen to the plants, but I don't think it would be appreciable at all.

It's perfectly safe to use with the most sensitive, delicate organisms, too. Tunicates, sponges, corals, sharks, skates and rays. I speak from experience here (not using it to grow cannabis, but I have extensive aquatic experience, including with sodium thiosulfate).

kb2243

Thanks SeaMaiden

I thought it would be ok to use. So I am just going to use it unless someone has any other opinions.

DRorganic

Veteran
me and my brother was thinking of building one of these in a green house .we have seen watching quadraphonic on line and you can use any fish .we where thinking of using perch .and the wast water that comes from the fish circulates through the garden to feed the veggies and returns to the fish all clean and ready to do it all over again. man you should see the vegetables and the fish they eat the freshest food on the planet. i think its the future of feeding large quantities of people .

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol; yeh its basicly the manual aquapponics method

if the fish arent hurt by it swimming around in it; how likely that the plant produced might hurt you? plant roots dont suck everything out of the soil and deposit it in the plant

"are your fish still alive" answers your question

Gano

just sayin if additives dont harm the fish it wont harm plants; maybe go easy and see for yourself

not really. Salt good example, fish can tolerate decently high salt levels, many plants do not like it at all. Animals and plants run very differently, and some things which are poison for one are not for the other. General speaking fish water is good if you do not add a lot of salts or some weird new chemical to kill fungal growth and things. I think many are copper base, but not remember.

S

SeaMaiden

Cupric solutions are usually an issue for multicellular invertebrates, and copper sulfate in particular can be used as an excellent 'cide' to kill inverts.

NaCl is necessary for all life, best I understand it. Just like Ca is necessary for all life. Amounts, ratios, etcetera, are particular to the organism of course.

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
I did not read thru the whole thread to see if someone already covered this, but I had to chime in here. If you do regular partial water changes on your aquarium, you do not need to use that stuff at all.. There are as many 'snake oils' for sale in the aquarium hobby as there is in the growing hobby. I don't know what size your aquarium is and how many and what size your goldfish are, but if things are not too out of balance, a simple weekly water change (not just letting the water evaporate), your water will stay good and your fish will be happy, then you don't need to worry about the junk your putting in ur pot! .. I used to have a 125 full of african cichlids and used the water to feed my plants all the time with pretty good results.

mgk :tiphat:

kasvi

If I use Tetra AquaSafe, Tetra SafeStart and Tetra PlantaMin in my aquarium, can I use this water to water my organic garden?
Tetra AquaSafe contains following stuff:
Sodium Hydroxymethane Sulfinate, Polyvinyl Pyrollidones, Organic Hydrocolloids, Organic Chelating Compounds.
I cannot find ingredients of other ones.

tjmccoy

Veteran
I have expiremented with this an entire round. Had 55 gal drum filled with gold fish with a submersable canister filter. There are some advatages and some disadvantages. The best thing about using water in a freshwater system that has cycled is the very pure and usable form of nitrate/ nitrogen for the plants. The water is natrally softer and generly lower in ph as time goes on. The results were quite good in veg, but flowering became a night mare as the water useage increased, the aquarium water had to be replentished too fast and there was little bennifit as well as fluxuations in ph and water conditions stressed plants and me out!

I wont be trying this again, i feel keeping my water supply consistent causes far less stress on plants.

One thing I took away from this, my perfered germination method, bubble seeds in jar in aged high nitrate aquarium water, till the seed cracks. I had read that pure organic nitrate can even penatrate the seed I feed this to seedings for the first few weeks. I've brought alive some really old seed stock doing this and really seems to make a difference here imo

Cheers