Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > IC Magazine > Marijuana News > Marijuana industry brought to a standstill by new pesticide testing regulations

Thread Title Search
Click to Visit Seedsman for Cannabis Seeds
Marijuana industry brought to a standstill by new pesticide testing regulations Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2016, 05:23 PM #1
Robrites

Robrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivor
Marijuana industry brought to a standstill by new pesticide testing regulations

Once packed with marijuana concentrates and extracts, the Human Collective's shelves are nearly empty.
Some pot leaf-patterned socks and glass pipes sit scattered among what's left. A static screen with just 13 flower options has replaced a digital "bud list" that used to scroll through the shop's options for people waiting in line. The lines are gone, too. Only one or two budtenders work at a time - cut in half from before.
Within months of Oregon's full recreational marijuana market coming online, the industry has come to a standstill with low supplies and big price jumps for consumers.
Don Morse, owner of the Human Collective in Southeast Portland, and other retailers, growers and processors blame Oregon's strict pesticide rules for the problem.
The regulations - the first mandatory pre-emptive testing in the country for marijuana - went into effect Oct. 1. But the state has so far licensed only a handful of laboratories to do the tests on thousands of products, including flowers, edibles, concentrates, oils and extracts.
And the tests are expensive - in some cases more than six times what companies used to pay, they report. Then they must wait weeks to get their products back and find out if they passed or failed.
Morse has laid off five budtenders since last month. He's down to about 10 percent of the concentrate inventory he had before October. He can't find anyone to sell him enough marijuana to fully restock.
That's happening in most of the more than 400 marijuana dispensaries around the state.
For Morse, the gridlock is ironic because he pushed for the rules. He helped convince growers and processors that reasonable pesticide limits and testing regulations would be better for them and consumers. But now the fledgling businesses are in jeopardy, he said.
"We don't want to come off like it's boohoo and we're only in it for ourselves," Morse said. "The people of the state said they wanted this both medically and recreationally. They left it to the state to set the rules and the state has set the rules to the point where it's no longer available to them. It's this roundabout way of making cannabis illegal again."
Megan Hatfield bought a vape pen cartridge of Sour Diesel for $45 at Morse's store. It's usually around $30 there, but she still considered it a bargain. She tried two other pot stores earlier in the week, finding only two other options, both at $80 for a gram.
"Honestly, I have been to a couple of places that didn't have a selection nearly as big as this," Hatfield said.
The Governor's Office is expected this week to announce some temporary fixes to address the testing backlog, while the Oregon Health Authority has borrowed inspectors from other divisions to help license labs.
The slowdown is the price of safety, said Jonathan Modie, a spokesman for the health authority.
"Our goal is to protect public health," he said, "by making sure that all marijuana products are tested for pesticides and other compounds by an accredited lab and that marijuana products that fail pesticide testing don't reach consumers."
More Oregonlive

Legal Weed is the fastest growing industry in the United States.

mymarijuananewscom

Robrites is online now Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:04 PM #2
theJointedOne

theJointedOne has much to be proud oftheJointedOne has much to be proud oftheJointedOne has much to be proud oftheJointedOne has much to be proud oftheJointedOne has much to be proud oftheJointedOne has much to be proud oftheJointedOne has much to be proud oftheJointedOne has much to be proud oftheJointedOne has much to be proud oftheJointedOne has much to be proud oftheJointedOne has much to be proud of
Wow that's crazy

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:12 PM #3
_tessarecting

_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future
Unbelievable

Bet the same shit will happen down here

Old 12-01-2016, 06:21 PM #4
Weird
3rd eye jedi

Weird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivor
lol fuck people who use pesticides

lol fuck people who thought legal wasn't going to fuck everyone in the ass but those who don't care about the plant, and don't need it, they just want greenbacks

apparently my filtering system isn't engaging lately my apologies in advance

WWDLBD

WW1.618D

Quote:
The shape it takes could be yours to choose

What you may win, what you may lose
Sativa is manna from heaven - BLueGrassToker

Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cured - Ureapwhatusow

nobody every told me i found out for myself, you've got to believe in foolish miracles - o. osborne

Although the masters make the rules
For the wise men and the fools
I got nothing, Ma, to live up to - b. Dylan
Weird is offline Quote

24 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:25 PM #5
dank.frank
ef.yu.se.ka.e.em

dank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivor
Welcome to "legalization" where the very government who used to lock us in a metal box is in control of the very thing they locked us in that box for.

How anyone didn't see the ineffective nature of the bureaucratic system mucking cannabis up just hasn't been paying attention to life. These sorts of things are exactly why I feel so adamantly opposed to half-measure legislation that serve only one purpose: To pacify the masses and regain control.

I hate to see this but I can't help but hear the echoes of "I told you so" bouncing in the heads of everyone who didn't go hug their representative for granting them rights which already exist and belong to the people that were willing to stand up for them. By this, so it isn't misunderstood, I mean the black market growers who have kept cannabis alive and thriving in the face of prohibition in all it's forms. Even this quasi legalization version we are currently seeing spread.

dank.Frank

May we all, in our own way, find our personal calling which allows us to continue overgrowing prohibition!!!

Last edited by dank.frank; 12-02-2016 at 12:47 AM..
dank.frank is offline Quote

24 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:28 PM #6
aridbud
automeister

aridbud has a brilliant futurearidbud has a brilliant futurearidbud has a brilliant futurearidbud has a brilliant futurearidbud has a brilliant futurearidbud has a brilliant futurearidbud has a brilliant futurearidbud has a brilliant futurearidbud has a brilliant futurearidbud has a brilliant futurearidbud has a brilliant future
"Our goal is to protect public health," he said, "by making sure that all marijuana products are tested for pesticides and other compounds by an accredited lab and that marijuana products that fail pesticide testing don't reach consumers."

I wish Colorado would adhere to those principles. When you buy buds in shops, most have a label of what additives and pesticides were used....SCARY!
John Harrigan
Instant gratification takes too long.
Carrie Fisher - RIP.
afterthought autos
Passionate breeders of quality connoisseur cannabis autoflower hybrid seeds at down to earth prices; now 10 years running!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65770
aridbud is offline Quote

Old 12-01-2016, 06:29 PM #7
Weird
3rd eye jedi

Weird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivor
we had a chance to do it differently a chance to do it right

WWDLBD

WW1.618D

Quote:

nobody every told me i found out for myself, you've got to believe in foolish miracles - o. osborne

Weird is offline Quote

Old 12-01-2016, 06:32 PM #8
Betterhaff

Betterhaff has much to be proud ofBetterhaff has much to be proud ofBetterhaff has much to be proud ofBetterhaff has much to be proud ofBetterhaff has much to be proud ofBetterhaff has much to be proud ofBetterhaff has much to be proud ofBetterhaff has much to be proud ofBetterhaff has much to be proud ofBetterhaff has much to be proud ofBetterhaff has much to be proud of
Every time I read something about this topic, all that comes to mind is produce in grocery stores. Another one is the ban on chemicals for growing, some of which are natural products (in Washington State I think).

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for public safety and clean growing but as said in the article if you’re going to set up regulations than you better fast pace the effort to get the means available. And be realistic about what the controls are and don’t go overboard.
Betterhaff is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:34 PM #9
Weird
3rd eye jedi

stiff regulations mean greater price and enforcement

yeah baby more of the same except uncle sam gets a piece of both pies

WWDLBD

WW1.618D

Quote:

Weird is offline Quote

8 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:35 PM #10
dank.frank
ef.yu.se.ka.e.em

dank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivor
Where is the testing facility that limits what other agricultural commodities see store shelves?

Do we send every tomato, every cob of corn, every apple, etc to the testing facility to make sure they are safe to eat? NOPE.

So why are they doing this with cannabis?

Personally, my meds would pass with flying colors and be on shelves. Why? Because, I, in the pursuit of the best medicine, not the biggest and quickest pay day, don't use any pesticides. Go figure.

Government doing what it does best. Protecting people from themselves.

dank.Frank

May we all, in our own way, find our personal calling which allows us to continue overgrowing prohibition!!!
dank.frank is offline Quote

17 members found this post helpful.