What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What brand lighting for greenhouse

HazyBulldog

Putting up 20 1000 watt lights in my existing greenhouses. Anybody recommend one brand over another? My lights will be over the top of light dep curtains, so I would like a long throw on the light. The three I have been looking into are Gavita, Nanolux and phantom. Will need something compatible with controllers. All advice welcome.

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
I've heard about issues with the reliability of the nanolux. The phantoms should be fine since hydrofarm makes them. I don't know anyone who has used them for an extended period of time.

For me the choice would be between the gavitas and the PL's. I don't think PL makes a controller for them, so that just leaves the Gavitas.

maxmurder

Veteran
damn, can't pm.
gavitas with el1 controller hands down.
pm me when you are able i get a pretty good price on em.
the controller is sooo bad ass!
try not to get banned before 50 posts hahahahahahahahhaa

HazyBulldog

lol, I will try. Thanks guys.

I was thinking the same as you guys. For me personally, the nanolux is out I think. I don't like cheap stuff. Plus, some of the features like dim on and off might give my bulbs longer life with the gavita's. The bulb that comes with the gavita's are about 60$ better as well, so really, the gavita is cheaper in the long run.

ColoradoJay

Not sure if it matters to you but Gavita is owned by Monsanto now........have a feeling their market share will suffer along with their quality

maxmurder

Veteran
hathorne is a sub company of scotts.
hawthorn bought gh, botanacare, vermi and 75% of gavita, one 1/4 partner wouldn't sell out.
scotts shares or rents a patten for glyposate (roundup) with monsanto.
monsanto was or is being bought by bayer corp.
99% sure this is correct info.

ubi

i would have went cmh 315s, i have 16 gavitas in my 20x60, only benefit is warming it up. for 16 (1k)s equals 48 (315s) more upfront but way more light over all.

just my 2cents

HazyBulldog

UBI - I have to throw the light fairly far, because the lights will be above my black out tarp. You would still go with the 315's?

maxmurder

Veteran
UBI - I have to throw the light fairly far, because the lights will be above my black out tarp. You would still go with the 315's?

what is the height of your green house?
what is the height of your dep frame?
can you blast hps light without neighbors or others seeing it?

i'm trying to figure out the same thing ubi said, i have a low gh (18'x44'x8') to stay under a fence line. also last year i thought only a couple close neighbors (who i'm friends with) could see the orange glow on overcast/rain days, or just a couple hours in the am and pm, then i was driving down a 1/2 mile away and looked up and saw the glow, DOH!! you can't actually see the gh or which house but the glow was unmistakable.
i was thinking of using the cmh for overcast days, couple hours am and pm, then when it's all rain, close up dep and have gavi's on a different circuit along with cmh. but all my lights are inside dep frame.
i have a few 4x8 tents i'm playing with cmh's in. so far better than gavi plasmas for veg and way cheaper. gonna flower with em in a bout a week or so.

HazyBulldog

I used to care about neighbors. Now it's legal, and they are still bitching. So they get the light.

My greenhouse is 30x48x17 and 12x48x8

The 30x48x17 is going to be depped inside the greenhouse. I have yet to build the dep frame, but I am thinking hoops over my beds about 6' above the beds. Plenty of room for the lights still, but don't want to loose on efficiency due to the long throw.

The smaller greenhouse is depped above the house. So I will be putting in a row down the center as close as possible to the roof. Maybe the 315's in here?

maxmurder

Veteran
I used to care about neighbors. Now it's legal, and they are still bitching. So they get the light.

nice:biggrin:

My greenhouse is 30x48x17 and 12x48x8

The 30x48x17 is going to be depped inside the greenhouse. I have yet to build the dep frame, but I am thinking hoops over my beds about 6' above the beds. Plenty of room for the lights still, but don't want to loose on efficiency due to the long throw.

The smaller greenhouse is depped above the house. So I will be putting in a row down the center as close as possible to the roof. Maybe the 315's in here?

no, if it were me (not that i know much) i would go with the gavi flex 6/750 with the new 150 reflector (wider throw like the epaps) and the el1 controller. i replaced a few regular reflectors with the 150's and spread em out so 2 lights now cover where i used to have 3 and was able to get same yield (approx) per square foot and put those other lights elsewhere gaining another 96 sq ft using close to the same kwh.

ubi

w/ the 315's more points of light, altho afew less lumens per square foot but a nicer spectrum (and 315s def shorten flower time ;)) and if its for light dep. then a lot less heat. if heat is an issue for ya.

ubi

leds will crush market soon.....

for efficiency sake ------- 315s drop a over a gram a watt no problem