What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

calimagic ec .8 at recommended dosage :(

nicko0

i have to use ro water cause my tap is extremely high in Na sodium. i got calimagic to "make tap water" to go with canna ab.

5ml/g makes the ec .8 which is double what is reccomended for canna.

if i cut the dose in half what are the repercussions.

should i use a different brand cal / mag supplement?

Speed of green

The recommendation on the bottle is for tomatoes or something, its overkill unless you have a serious deficiency.

Making sure your r/o is at 0ec add calmag until you get to the .2-.4ec

Then add your base nutes on top at whatever strength you wish.

Some will lower the base nutrients when adding cal/mag, im more of a risk taker.

The magical by technaflora works great, i used to use it a few years back. I have since switched to dry salt fertilizers though.

gr866

Veteran
i have to use ro water cause my tap is extremely high in Na sodium. i got calimagic to "make tap water" to go with canna ab.

5ml/g makes the ec .8 which is double what is reccomended for canna.

if i cut the dose in half what are the repercussions.

should i use a different brand cal / mag supplement?

I spoke to the folks at canna, I was trying to pH RO with nothing added, don't work for shit, LOL
I use their full line, and the guy suggest I use enough tap water to get the ppm of the RO to 120 ppm and then start adding the base nutes. My tap is so bad and with the low rates I use I wanted to make sure I got the cal and mag to reduce the chance of mag def.
What I do now is add to my RO, ppm 4, is 2 grams Epsom and what ever amount of Cal/Magic needed to get the ppm to 120 or 0.24 or so as Speed said. That is around 3 ml, but I would add your Epsom then add 1 ml of Cal/Magic at a time to get the ppm to 120.

Here is a chart I use when prepping my nutes for the rez.
I total the Cannazym, Boost and Drip Clean together.

I use 400 to 450 ppm of A&B during flower and at that rate I need the extra calcium and Mag.

GR

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I spoke to the folks at canna, I was trying to pH RO with nothing added, don't work for shit, LOL
Try drops, works just fine. No need to pH r/o water anyway and a tiny bit of nutes (and I mean tiny) will give you stable pH readings. R/O should be 7 anyway.

I use their full line, and the guy suggest I use enough tap water to get the ppm of the RO to 120 ppm and then start adding the base nutes. My tap is so bad and with the low rates I use I wanted to make sure I got the cal and mag to reduce the chance of mag def.
What I do now is add to my RO, ppm 4, is 2 grams Epsom and what ever amount of Cal/Magic needed to get the ppm to 120 or 0.24 or so as Speed said. That is around 3 ml, but I would add your Epsom then add 1 ml of Cal/Magic at a time to get the ppm to 120.
You can skip this entire laborious process and simply mix in your nutes. Should the plants happen to show a mag deficiency (have you checked any yet?) THEN you would go to magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) for a fix. Zero need for calimagic with a lot of different mixes.

I use 400 to 450 ppm of A&B during flower and at that rate I need the extra calcium and Mag.

GR
Personally, I'd run it without the calimagic and epsom first. Unless you've done the breakdown and both calcium and mag are low. 2 grams is a LOT of epsom anyway, usual dose is 1g/gallon or less. Unless canna is very low in mag for some reason?

Bottom line, you want to either do the math on the elements, making sure they're close to the lucas formula in ratios, or test how your plants dig it without the added stuff first. Once you know how your plants react to your baseline nutrient mix, then you'll have a great idea about what they're missing.

Why? Because caannabis is a hyper/dynamic accumulator and any excess in the root zone can and will be absorbed and left unprocessed in the plant. These elements will not be flushed/faded out, even with a month of plain water.

You should be able to chop some of your flower, at any time during the flowering period, dry it out and smoke it without any sparkling or crackling going on. :)

Hope that helps

gr866

Veteran
Try drops, works just fine. No need to pH r/o water anyway and a tiny bit of nutes (and I mean tiny) will give you stable pH readings. R/O should be 7 anyway.

You can skip this entire laborious process and simply mix in your nutes. Should the plants happen to show a mag deficiency (have you checked any yet?) THEN you would go to magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) for a fix. Zero need for calimagic with a lot of different mixes.

Personally, I'd run it without the calimagic and epsom first. Unless you've done the breakdown and both calcium and mag are low. 2 grams is a LOT of epsom anyway, usual dose is 1g/gallon or less. Unless canna is very low in mag for some reason?

Bottom line, you want to either do the math on the elements, making sure they're close to the lucas formula in ratios, or test how your plants dig it without the added stuff first. Once you know how your plants react to your baseline nutrient mix, then you'll have a great idea about what they're missing.

Why? Because caannabis is a hyper/dynamic accumulator and any excess in the root zone can and will be absorbed and left unprocessed in the plant. These elements will not be flushed/faded out, even with a month of plain water.

You should be able to chop some of your flower, at any time during the flowering period, dry it out and smoke it without any sparkling or crackling going on. :)

Hope that helps

That may work for you, but I had one hell of a time stabilizing the pH when going straight nutes, once I began adding the Epsom and Cal/Magic my problems were solved.

"Personally, I'd run it without the calimagic and epsom first. Unless you've done the breakdown and both calcium and mag are low. 2 grams is a LOT of epsom anyway, usual dose is 1g/gallon or less. Unless canna is very low in mag for some reason?"

If you look at the chart you will see that is 2 grams per 5 gallons of water. If you wait for mag def to show you already have problems.

But every grower has his or her prefered methods, mine works just fine,
Taken 6/5

I have found that H3ads formula for coco is a bit to heavy, when I was using it I would get nute burn and clawing at those rates. I used 4/6 and a gram of Epsom/gallon. That was using GH micro and bloom. I love my canna.

Doug, I have had problems with grows over the yrs and the main cause of those problems was usually related to mag def

GR

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Yes, mag def is the number one variable with cannabis strains/phenotypes. This is why you get to know your strain/pheno for at least one run, before expecting to run it properly. Otherwise you consistently run the risk of slightly or greatly ruining quality.

You have pH stability issues with simply nutes and r/o? That's a new one on me, for sure. I'd carefully track what you're doing with them for a while, see if you can figure out the issue. Plain nutes (especially decent mfg's like GH or Canna) don't have stability issues with pH, when used with r/o water.

All of my advice is for people wanting to grow the cleanest cannabis possible. Vary it according to your own goals. :)

gr866

Veteran
You have pH stability issues with simply nutes and r/o? That's a new one on me, for sure. I'd carefully track what you're doing with them for a while, see if you can figure out the issue. Plain nutes (especially decent mfg's like GH or Canna) don't have stability issues with pH, when used with r/o water.

All of my advice is for people wanting to grow the cleanest cannabis possible. Vary it according to your own goals. :)

Oh I don't have issues with pH now. I just get the RO/Rain water to 120 ppm using Epsom and Cal/Magic, add the base nutes, then add the rest of the Canna line, let it sit for 24 to 48 hrs and my pH remains stable. Oh it floats over a two day period, start 5.8 and by the second day it is usually around 6 plus. I contribute that to any aration cause by rez circulation during that period.

I do like your advice for growing clean cannabis!

GR