What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can coco go bad???

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I took a bunch of clones, from plants I grew from seed. I usually have extremely high success rate, but only cloned cuts from GG4 which is very hardy plant.

I had to hack the tops off of plants that were started in rockwool and moved to coco (GH) about 10 days ago. The top leaves were twisted and mangy. I usually add about 20% perlite, but did not this time.

I had expanded coco in a bin in the basement which is always damp, and let it sit there for a month or two. Used that after moistening. Could it have developed some kind of mold that was not visible, and poisoning the plants now?

Here is one I hacked all of the bad parts off less than 24 hours ago, and is still going bad.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Coco don't go bad as far as i know.... Had used some old bags in storage of a brand I stopped using bout 4 yrs ago... Used them the plants looked and grew exactly the same as fresh...
Id check for pests,,

Loc Dog

Veteran
Coco don't go bad as far as i know.... Had used some old bags in storage of a brand I stopped using bout 4 yrs ago... Used them the plants looked and grew exactly the same as fresh...
Id check for pests,,

I have seen some flying bugs. Have scoped some leaves, but they are hard to find sometimes. I averaged about 2 russet mites per leaf, on really sick plants, a year ago.

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
I assume you recharged it with Trichoderma after 2 months sitting around

HqFarms

I have seen some flying bugs. Have scoped some leaves, but they are hard to find sometimes. I averaged about 2 russet mites per leaf, on really sick plants, a year ago.

Do you still have russets? I'm not to sure why you are talking about plants from a year ago

Loc Dog

Veteran
I assume you recharged it with Trichoderma after 2 months sitting around

No I did not. I have never charged coco. I get the GH bricks, and they just mention adding water to expand. I have been using boiling water when expanding, to try and kill off fungus gnat eggs. Never had problems doing that. Maybe it picked up some nasty mold from basement. Have GG4 clones started a week later, and they seem fine using same coco.

I have great white, but have only used with hydro.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Do you still have russets? I'm not to sure why you are talking about plants from a year ago

I hope not, but I do not rule anything out. By the time you find them, it is usually too late.

HqFarms

I don't charge coco ever so I can definitely say it's not that important as people say it is and that's not your issue. The only issue I have had is when i reused coco and didn't flush good enough and things died fast because of salt build up. Have you tried transplanting into new coco to rule anything out?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Could be bugs, loc dog...anything is possible.

Know inferior potting soil has swarms of gnats.

Loc Dog

Veteran
I have not found any bugs. Have checked runoff, and very high. Think I burned them up. Maybe a spazzed out in mixed up too strong of a feed for them. Flushing now until runoff is around 300 PPM. Will update if I figure it out.

waltersobchak

Would pressure cooking/sterilizing or pasteurizing in the oven(turkey bags) have any positive or negative effects on the coco for reuse? Maybe just adding an unnecessary step

X

xavier7995

Not sure about reuse, but don't think it would hurt. I always get my coco pretty wet and then bake it at 350 to 400 for a few hours to kill off anything that might be there.