What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1st time Coco Grower help

I need to make a picture account I guess.
This past year was first time with coco. Much more unforgiving like hydro than soil. I also wasn't using ca/mag at first and plants were getting sick, so was something I also had to add, that I did not use before.
I pick my pots up to tell when to water, usually once the top is brown you can pic it up and feel if water is still in there or not. Helps the roots strech out towards the water.
10-15% runoff

BD3262

Interestingly, the plant's main fan leaves are dying, but there is new growth from the stems apical meristem. So I am thinking of seeing how bad they are, and removing them so the plant can use the energy new growth. I'll post a pics update later. Thanks for the help everyone, I think they might just make it.

- BD

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
your going to need an EC meter & a PH meter ! feeding them at the wrong PH level will give you more problems than you already have !

those clones need to be in a saturated cup of coco fed at .7 EC & a PH of 5.9 or your wasting your time . they won't last very much longer without it .

i'm not trying to be a prick , but you jumped in head first without checking the waters . you need to understand coco & its needs before you put plants in it unless you want to see them die .
coco isn't dirt & its not water either ..... although its fed alot like you would a water grow .

I needed to see this post. So glad I checked in here.
How did you reach the .7 ec value?

wswise

I've seen some plants do this in coco before, and I can't say for sure what cured it, but here are the steps I've taken:
1. get into a bigger pot. I grow in straight coco. I want it up to a 3 gallon bag and thriving when I flip, and it always seemed I was root bound with plants that have done this.
2. PH, PH, PH. make sure constantly that your PH is accurate, and test your meter. I had one meter off and was actually running around 5.3 for a few weeks, that plant is currently running, but looks much better.
3. do a drench after its in the bigger pot, if it doesn't start reacting.
4. use calmag

I call these the the sagging v leaves. Edges pointed up, tips curling down. slow growth, but still producing new leaves. I've seen it a few times, so I have it narrowed to these issues and I've always gotten past them using these steps.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've seen some plants do this in coco before, and I can't say for sure what cured it, but here are the steps I've taken:
1. get into a bigger pot. I grow in straight coco. I want it up to a 3 gallon bag and thriving when I flip, and it always seemed I was root bound with plants that have done this.
2. PH, PH, PH. make sure constantly that your PH is accurate, and test your meter. I had one meter off and was actually running around 5.3 for a few weeks, that plant is currently running, but looks much better.
3. do a drench after its in the bigger pot, if it doesn't start reacting.
4. use calmag

I call these the the sagging v leaves. Edges pointed up, tips curling down. slow growth, but still producing new leaves. I've seen it a few times, so I have it narrowed to these issues and I've always gotten past them using these steps

thats generally a sign of over watering ... which can be done before the roots have been established in the cup/pot . like freshly rooted clones , it needs a semi dry cycle sorta like soil does , untill it has built up a good root system , then it can be fed multiple times a day to get that hydro growth .

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I needed to see this post. So glad I checked in here.
How did you reach the .7 ec value?

not sure what your asking shishka ?

.7EC is 350TDS/PPM .5 scale ....

i wouldn't give freshly rooted clones more than that for at least a couple weeks . when you see them really start to take off , or your getting roots out the bottoms of the cups .... then you can jump it up a bit . once they get rooted good , i stay around 1.0 for most of veg .

plus , .7 is what i charge my coco with before i use it ..... enough base & 3ml of calmag to get .7 and a PH of 5.9 ,

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
not sure what your asking shishka ?

.7EC is 350TDS/PPM .5 scale ....

i wouldn't give freshly rooted clones more than that for at least a couple weeks . when you see them really start to take off , or your getting roots out the bottoms of the cups .... then you can jump it up a bit . once they get rooted good , i stay around 1.0 for most of veg .

plus , .7 is what i charge my coco with before i use it ..... enough base & 3ml of calmag to get .7 and a PH of 5.9 ,

I was confused as to the minimums and wondering just what you answered. You da real mvp.

BD3262

So I managed to revive them. What I did was re-pot them into a smaller pot then let the coco go through a few dry cycles and expand to the smaller pot then just slowly stepped them up. I added a heavy dose (1/2mL per gal) of super thrive when feeding them in the smaller pots while doing the dry cycles, then dropped it to 1/10th of an mL and fed them daily when roots were established. Hopefully, they keep up the growth and grow some stinky buds. Thinking about doing a grow journal...

- BD