What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pollen collection question. Pic!

wdcf

Right now this bad boy is surrounded by females. But I want to cut off his head and place him in a cup of water on my windowsill when the time is right. I rarely mess with males. So tell me someone with experience collecting pollen in this manner, is he ready? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20170428_0443320.jpg
    IMG_20170428_0443320.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 11

troutman

Seed Whore
I would wait until at least one pollen sac is opens.
Cutting him down too early may hurt your pollen yield.
It would be best if you could isolate him somewhere else.
Males don't need as much light as females to mature.

wdcf

I would wait until at least one pollen sac is opens.
Cutting him down too early may hurt your pollen yield.
It would be best if you could isolate him somewhere else.
Males don't need as much light as females to mature.

Maybe this is wishful thinking... but I'm hoping the first pollen say, won't have much pollen :biggrin:

troutman

Seed Whore
I just collected some now. Some Malawi Gold (African Seeds) pollen. :woohoo:

I place cuttings in empty beer bottle filled with water leaning at a 45 degree angle
with the pollen sacs hanging over a clean piece of aluminum foil. A day or two later
I collect the pollen by folding the piece of foil and making the pollen flow off of it
onto a tiny piece of foil 3" X 3" and make a tiny mound of pollen.

Then I bend this little piece of foil in half and do the same while now make the pollen
flow into a small tube and seal it after placing a few silica dessicant gel beads in it.
Then in my refrigerator is goes after being labelled. Each time I collect pollen I place a
new piece of foil to collect more. I'll keep doing this until no more pollen sacs open.

troutman

Seed Whore
Looks like this. :tiphat:

Pollen collection:

picture.php

Pollen Mound Collected onto the small piece of foil.

picture.php

Pollen Tubes

picture.php

wdcf

I'm certainly going to try that method.
However how much longer do you think I should wait before cutting my male from its roots?

Also just placing it on my windowsill will be sufficient lighting correct?

troutman

Seed Whore
I normally wait until a few pollen sacs open before making cuttings.
An empty room with just a regular light bulb will work.
Once pollen sacs are forming. Males don't need much light.

wdcf

I normally wait until a few pollen sacs open before making cuttings.
An empty room with just a regular light bulb will work.
Once pollen sacs are forming. Males don't need much light.

Does the light need to be on 12/12? Also would you suggest a normal light opposed to a windowsill lighting?

wdcf

The lighting period should be the same as when flowering.

Are you sure? I have read others state that once a male plant is cut from its roots, the lighting cycle is insignifgicant. And it will continue to flower if placed in a cup of water.