What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What type of equipment upgrades needed for propane blends?

FieldsOil

I'm using an mkiii and wanted to try out running propane in my machine. I use an appion g5 twin, and a freezer setup cooling my supply tank. My understanding is that I'll need an after cooler so my pressure doesn't get too high from the warm propane recovering. I know propane operates at a higher pressure and just wanted to be safe before attempting this.

flatslabs

The upgrades we made when we switched to running 50/50 blend were to upgrade any remaining clamps to high-pressure versions, move all of our gaskets to ptfe / viton envelope gaskets and setup a 50' condensing coil after our pump.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm using an mkiii and wanted to try out running propane in my machine. I use an appion g5 twin, and a freezer setup cooling my supply tank. My understanding is that I'll need an after cooler so my pressure doesn't get too high from the warm propane recovering. I know propane operates at a higher pressure and just wanted to be safe before attempting this.

As FS notes, the 6" clamp needs to be switched to an SSH high pressure clamp.

You will need an after cooler to cool the pump discharge. 1/2" X 50' stainless coil should do it.

Attachments

• Butane-Propane mix pressures-1-1.jpg
    Butane-Propane mix pressures-1-1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 16

FieldsOil

Thank you kind sirs.

I already use high pressure clamps on my machine with ptfe screened gaskets and tuff steel gaskets. So it looks like i just meed that aftercooler. Thank alot guys. Any additions that could optimize things that I wouldn't see until I start running the blend?

prune

Veteran
I don't know when or where you put together your MarkIII, but a lot of early adopters found out that their various valves were not performing well at extreme low temps. Perhaps research the suitability of your current provisioning because there is nothing quite as anus clenching as weeping valves mid-process...

FieldsOil

Thanks for the heads up! I have noticed that issue, the ball valves have gone out after about 1.5 years of use. However mine wasn't from cold temps, because it was my recovery valve.

flatusm

Check this out: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/propane-butane-mix-d_1043.html

If you use pure propane, then you're going to hit 150psi at 80F ambient. That's within the rating, but way too much for comfort.

I use 70 isobutane, 30 propane from Ecogreen. I look at the chart and see where the mix is at 0psi, and what pressure it will be at your ambient temperature. If you feel OK with that range of pressures, the mix will work. For me, 0psi comes at -10F, and there is 40psi at room temp. I'll never ever be working at 90F, so the max I'll see is 60psi. That feels fully safe to me, and 40psi is enough for any liquid wash or gas push.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would go with 1/2" to maximize surface area and increase residence time. When not using a counterflow heat exchanger, I used a 1/2" X .049 X 50' 304 SS tube in one coil stack, so that it was self draining.

Latest posts

Latest posts