What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Water Circulation Pumps

Hello fellow IC Mag folk,

It has been a while but as often occurs with the followers of this wonderful forum work often draws us away from the forums for a time. If this has been addressed please let me know but I did a quick search and didn't see any conversation on the topic.

What pumps are folks using to pump water around their jacketed columns/ recovery vessels? More specifically, what parameters are folks judging the size of the setup they needs vs the number of runs/ size of the runs they are doing? Is anyone running a system that they assembled the water circulation components themselves?

If these questions are already answered somewhere please link and flame away I have no issues reading and would appreciate the directional guidance. If I am way off base in the type of questions to be asking to broach the water circulation topic please correct me.

To frame the overall inquiry I have a few machines that are currently in need of some upgrades and one of them is a better method for handling basin temperature but without scrapping the entirety of the system.

As always thank you to everyone on here for the support and helpful words. I hope the community has been doing well and I am pleased to be back forum crawling with you all presently.

SB

If I'm pumping water in an extractor or rotovap I just use cheap hydroponic water pumps. I use a 1/4hp water chiller and thermostat controlled immersion heater in the reservoir for control from 0-30C. I determine whats the largest gpm pump I can use without creating unwanted backpressure by trial and error

Grundfos has good pumps for down to -55C when dewaxing/winterizing. Below that there are centrifugal pumps for precision cryogenic cold baths but they're too spendy for me

I appreciate the incite we have discussed those type of pumps and how we might configure them to be most effective but haven't tried it yet.

Do you utilize one of the jacketed collection vessels when doing hydrocarbon extractions? I found myself wondering what kind of pump most people were utilizing if they purchased one of the many pre-made jacketed vessels to retrofit a machine as I am sure many of the folks buying them are doing.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello fellow IC Mag folk,

It has been a while but as often occurs with the followers of this wonderful forum work often draws us away from the forums for a time. If this has been addressed please let me know but I did a quick search and didn't see any conversation on the topic.

What pumps are folks using to pump water around their jacketed columns/ recovery vessels? More specifically, what parameters are folks judging the size of the setup they needs vs the number of runs/ size of the runs they are doing? Is anyone running a system that they assembled the water circulation components themselves?

If these questions are already answered somewhere please link and flame away I have no issues reading and would appreciate the directional guidance. If I am way off base in the type of questions to be asking to broach the water circulation topic please correct me.

To frame the overall inquiry I have a few machines that are currently in need of some upgrades and one of them is a better method for handling basin temperature but without scrapping the entirety of the system.

As always thank you to everyone on here for the support and helpful words. I hope the community has been doing well and I am pleased to be back forum crawling with you all presently.

SB

We make our own using Dayton 1/3rd HP hot water circulation pumps from Grainger.

Here is a picture showing the unit for the collection pot, which has a 2 Kw heating element and thermocouple in the 6 X 12" sanitary spool attached directly to the pump discharge.

The column heating system uses a 6 Kw heater and a 6 X 24 spool for the element and thermocouple, and with a 12" X 24" surge tank on the inlet, to prevent pump cavitation when flooding empty columns.

I use Type J thermocouples and a PID control.

Attachments

• Inline water heater.jpg
    Inline water heater.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 7

montroller

I appreciate the incite we have discussed those type of pumps and how we might configure them to be most effective but haven't tried it yet.

Do you utilize one of the jacketed collection vessels when doing hydrocarbon extractions? I found myself wondering what kind of pump most people were utilizing if they purchased one of the many pre-made jacketed vessels to retrofit a machine as I am sure many of the folks buying them are doing.

I'm using a 10" jacketed platter and an ecoplus 1110 pump. Works great

GW and montroller thank you for the quality info as usual. GW are you still implementing your cotton candy tech with jacketed collection vessels? That is still one of our operators favorites for shatter and is one of the easiest cleanups but seems like the water jacket could be prohibitive to the tek.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GW and montroller thank you for the quality info as usual. GW are you still implementing your cotton candy tech with jacketed collection vessels? That is still one of our operators favorites for shatter and is one of the easiest cleanups but seems like the water jacket could be prohibitive to the tek.

Our collection vessel isn't jacketed, just the columns. It sits in a pot of water, from which the water is pumped to and fro.

I use a drop in manifold in the collection bath pot, that directs the pump discharge under the collection tank, which sits on a stand.

Attachments

• Mk IVC hot water pickup and distribution.jpg
    Mk IVC hot water pickup and distribution.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 11
GW are you still implementing your cotton candy tech with jacketed collection vessels? That is still one of our operators favorites for shatter and is one of the easiest cleanups but seems like the water jacket could be prohibitive to the tek.

This the reason I no longer use my jacketed pot anymore, its a hassle to pick up and move to another room for purging

This the reason I no longer use my jacketed pot anymore, its a hassle to pick up and move to another room for purging

Ah well thats interesting in a back breaking sort of way. We have been discussing this in our group since its one of our favorite ways to transfer out of a collection vessel numerous reasons. I would imagine the pour is a tek of choice for people using jacketed vessels but I know our operators are not a fan of the wasting the gas or pouring in general when they could cotton candy instead.

frog357

I transfer my hydroponic pump from the hot water tank to an ice water tank when I'm about to start making cotton candy. I use a small 155gph pump from an old flood table. We are discussing just putting in a "T" and a few ball valves. Thus jacketed vessels work just fine for the cold purge tech.

I transfer my hydroponic pump from the hot water tank to an ice water tank when I'm about to start making cotton candy. I use a small 155gph pump from an old flood table. We are discussing just putting in a "T" and a few ball valves. Thus jacketed vessels work just fine for the cold purge tech.

My lab design partner and I discussed similar thought of dropping the circulation temp to cotton candy it but as per usual the simpler answer comes from experience, just swap the basin. I like your idea of just having a T and some valves though. Much appreciated.

Do you/ anyone anyone have an opinion for sourcing premade jacketed collection vessels? Alot of the ones I see are six inches tall and certainly not tall enough to contain some of the muffins our operators have to pull. I haven't been shopping for individual components in a while and the number of people in the market has grown exponentially as I am sure so has the less scrupulous vendors numbers.

Our collection vessel isn't jacketed, just the columns. It sits in a pot of water, from which the water is pumped to and fro.

I use a drop in manifold in the collection bath pot, that directs the pump discharge under the collection tank, which sits on a stand.

That makes alot of sense too GW I missed this post earlier today. This is definitely another super viable way of tackling the problem without investing in new collection vessels for these machines since they have enough standard spools to run smoothly at capacity now.

GonePhishin

Are you putting the jacketed vessel in the freezer or just cold purging by pumping the water in and skipping the freezer?

Shortburner

I thought about using a wort pump like "chugger" with a stainless head but ran across a new enoitalia euro 20 at a screaming price and matched it with a bosch tankless heater.

Latest posts

Latest posts