What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mk IV A Phoenix Terpenator

MEMED

Gw, I was just daydreaming on ebay and saw thispnumatic booster pump. anything of use w/ the new recovery idea? Prolly not just curious.

search ebay for smc booster

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting. I downloaded the specs and will check it out.

icdog

For those using a 100lb recovery tank and an ice bath, not dry ice. What type of container do you put the tank in to cool it?

For those using a 100lb recovery tank and an ice bath, not dry ice. What type of container do you put the tank in to cool it?

32 gallon trash can wrapped in insulation. Takes about 60-80#of ice. I used a rain barrel once in a pinch. Also installed a PVC ball valve on the bottom to drain so you don't have to take the whole tank out.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

What RP said. Used plastic barrels come in many different sizes and are available locally on Craigs list.

Good idea on the drain. Siphon also works.

32 gallon trash can wrapped in insulation. Takes about 60-80#of ice. I used a rain barrel once in a pinch. Also installed a PVC ball valve on the bottom to drain so you don't have to take the whole tank out.

you could just use a pump to get the water out, but it depends on whether or not you run it inside or not

Hey GW, any reason why you don't have the flush hose isolated with a ball valve at the top of the the lower tee? Would it be excessive to do so? Thanks.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You could put it either top or bottom, but having it at the top of the column, reduces the amount of butane that has to be recovered under vacuum.

icdog

What are you operating procedures for the mkiv? Do you flood a few times or one long one like RB does? I'm assuming the long flood time is a multiple of the time it takes to feel the cold at the vent tube.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What are you operating procedures for the mkiv? Do you flood a few times or one long one like RB does? I'm assuming the long flood time is a multiple of the time it takes to feel the cold at the vent tube.

There is more than one way to run a Mk IV, dependent on what you are making.

For maximum oil production, run a 200F recovery pot and run soak cycles the same as the original Terpenator I/III instructions.

For minimum wax pickup, run the storage tank in alcohol and dry ice.

For the least wax pickup without dry ice and alcohol, and for carboxylic acid extraction, we flood from the bottom until it spills out the vent tube for a set amount of time, and then open the bottom dump and flood from the top until the column is flushed.

The Mk IV kit comes with two 100 psi sight glasses, but as an option , we offer a 316SS 720 psi sight glass at the top of the column, protected with Swagelok, vacuum check and pressure relief valve #SKUPHA-001.

That allows you to study color or use light sensors to automate that part of the process, and be well within the safety range of the sight glass if both valves are closed and the column heated.

If we wish to run another cycle on the same material, we leave the dump valve open and pull to -10 Hg, which freezes the material in the column, and then we close the dump valve and start the second cycle.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
WolfWurx can supply them with or without certificates of conformance and stainless wire certification tag.

The combination check valve and pressure relief can be obtained directly from Swageloc, who has assigned Skunk Pharm Research part number SKUPHA-001. They automatically come with a certificate of conformance and stainless wire tag.

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
Can they supply them in a timely fashion or is it all vapor ware at this time?

I need to order a column and some sight glasses for my mk4

WolfWurx can supply them with or without certificates of conformance and stainless wire certification tag.

The combination check valve and pressure relief can be obtained directly from Swageloc, who has assigned Skunk Pharm Research part number SKUPHA-001. They automatically come with a certificate of conformance and stainless wire tag.

How much do those run? Could you possibly provide a picture? Thanks GW.

And in regards to Swageloc pressure relief valves, if I remember correctly they are hundreds of dollars. What's wrong with something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Control-Devic...9959630&sr=8-4&keywords=pressure+relief+valve

Looks awfully similar to the one found on a BHOgart recovery tank, although I have not taken more than a glance.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How much do those run? Could you possibly provide a picture? Thanks GW.

And in regards to Swageloc pressure relief valves, if I remember correctly they are hundreds of dollars. What's wrong with something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Control-Devic...9959630&sr=8-4&keywords=pressure+relief+valve

Looks awfully similar to the one found on a BHOgart recovery tank, although I have not taken more than a glance.

You will have to get pricing from WolfWurx. Like the Swageloc valve assembly coming with certifications, the cost of a certified sight glass makes a tender soul yelp with pain.

In perspective, consider that WolfWurx only builds commercial industrial grade equipment, which must meet all the federal, state, and local codes, including OSHA.

We treat extraction system and aerospace system design the same and choose reliability and function over price, when we have to certify it. We are after all dealing with pharmaceutical extraction, using pressurized flammable gases.

Potentially explosive gases if enough oxygen is aspirated through leaky valves.

The simple pop off valve pictured is not rated for both pressure and vacuum, nor does it come with confirmation papers for the factory preset, as well as a wire locked stainless tag.

I added a check valve in front of the pressure relief valve, so that the pressure relief valve only saw pressure.

I don't have to certify the Swageloc to the state agencies, because Swageloc already has.

If you tested them, you would find that the cheap relief valves may pop off somewhere close to set pressure, but they don't reliably for long, as the springs soften through use, and reset pressure may be excessively low.

You might also take a look at where that one is venting the flammable gases. WolfWurx's attaches a hose to the relief valves and either vents it to a recovery tank under vacuum, or to a safer location.

Having said all that, I am only showing ya'll a way, and I have no doubt that it will stir the creative juices in enough brothers and sisters, that they will start adding cheaper alternatives.

What I am also doing, by posting the design solutions on public forum, is preventing anyone else from patenting the principles. That leaves open the window for everyone to branch out in all directions.

JColtrane

I have a few hero's in this industry ... Jack Herer, Rev. Eddy Lepp, and Gray Wolf!!! You've done so much for us all, and can't thank you enough :tiphat:

Last edited:
You will have to get pricing from WolfWurx. Like the Swageloc valve assembly coming with certifications, the cost of a certified sight glass makes a tender soul yelp with pain.

In perspective, consider that WolfWurx only builds commercial industrial grade equipment, which must meet all the federal, state, and local codes, including OSHA.

We treat extraction system and aerospace system design the same and choose reliability and function over price, when we have to certify it. We are after all dealing with pharmaceutical extraction, using pressurized flammable gases.

Potentially explosive gases if enough oxygen is aspirated through leaky valves.

The simple pop off valve pictured is not rated for both pressure and vacuum, nor does it come with confirmation papers for the factory preset, as well as a wire locked stainless tag.

I added a check valve in front of the pressure relief valve, so that the pressure relief valve only saw pressure.

I don't have to certify the Swageloc to the state agencies, because Swageloc already has.

If you tested them, you would find that the cheap relief valves may pop off somewhere close to set pressure, but they don't reliably for long, as the springs soften through use, and reset pressure may be excessively low.

You might also take a look at where that one is venting the flammable gases. WolfWurx's attaches a hose to the relief valves and either vents it to a recovery tank under vacuum, or to a safer location.

Having said all that, I am only showing ya'll a way, and I have no doubt that it will stir the creative juices in enough brothers and sisters, that they will start adding cheaper alternatives.

What I am also doing, by posting the design solutions on public forum, is preventing anyone else from patenting the principles. That leaves open the window for everyone to branch out in all directions.

GW, my hat goes off to everything about you and the way you operate. As well as to WolfWurx. You are truly an incredible innovator in this industry, I don't know where we would be without you.

That being said, a Terpenator running a lower grade pressure relief valve following a check valve, and possible excess pressure safely vented 15+ feet away surely must be safer than no pressure relief valve at all? Or does the chance of oxygen being aspirated into the system still remain a looming danger?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GW, my hat goes off to everything about you and the way you operate. As well as to WolfWurx. You are truly an incredible innovator in this industry, I don't know where we would be without you.

That being said, a Terpenator running a lower grade pressure relief valve following a check valve, and possible excess pressure safely vented 15+ feet away surely must be safer than no pressure relief valve at all? Or does the chance of oxygen being aspirated into the system still remain a looming danger?

Any oxygen in the system is not a good thing, so even if you use a cheaper check valve, I would suggest using one. Cheap check valves usually work more reliably than cheap pressure relief valves.

Venting somewhere safe is key. If the relief valve doesn't have provisions for a hose, it could be put on the end of a hose, as a less desirable solution that works better than none at all.