What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mk IV A Phoenix Terpenator

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just hate to waste good numbers, so when circumstances changed, that there was no longer any motivation to build the half completed Mk IV Chimera, I decided to create the Mk IVA Phoenix rather than complete the Chimera just for show.

I dubbed the Mk IV the Chimera, because it was built from parts of several other systems, and was an attempt to get maximum surface area for vacuum evaporation, using available 6″ sanitary spools. At that time, a 6″ X 12″ spool, was the largest that we could obtain.

Shortly before completion, 8″, 10″, and 12″ X 12″ sanitary spools became available, so I canceled the project.

Hee, hee, hee, behold the Mk IV Phoenix, risen from the ashes of the Chimera and embracing everything that we’ve learned to this point.

This prototype has a 10″ X 12″ lower spool and a 4″ X 36″ column. I put that size column on it for a January shoot out in Seattle, but it will accept anything from a 2″ X 24″ column up to a 4″ X 36″ column.

One of the things that we’ve learned and which has been addressed in the Mk IVA, and that is that stainless to stainless threaded fittings can be problematic, so the IVA uses welded manifolds, rather than manifolds assembled out of pipe fittings.

It has two sight glasses to monitor what is going on, and has a thermocouple in the tank, to monitor the internal temperature during processing, in addition to a JB compound pressure gauge.

While this is about the largest practical unit that can be horsed around, we will be adding a 304SS cart anyway, to carry the pumps and 100# recovery tank, as well as the Mk IVA on casters.

A Haskel Model 59025 pneumatic refrigerant pump is on order for our prototype, and due in January, so timing will be close. We chose the Model 59025 because the pumping chamber is separated from the air piston by enough space, so that if a seal blows, dirty air can’t contaminate the butane stream, with the meds in it.

The system has ports to either recover or vacuum the columns separate from the chamber, and can accept up to three recovery pumps, as well as a separate vacuum pump port, so multiple electric pumps can be run instead of the pneumatic Haskel, which takes a 10 hp screw compressor to run.
Sooooo, here tis!

Attachments

• Mk IV Prototype-1-1.jpg
    Mk IV Prototype-1-1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Mk IV Prototype valves-1-2.jpg
    Mk IV Prototype valves-1-2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Mk IV Prototype-1-3.jpg
    Mk IV Prototype-1-3.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Mk IV Prototype valves-1-1.jpg
    Mk IV Prototype valves-1-1.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 35

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
That is a thing of beauty! I wonder how long it would take to strip it down,
clean it, pack it, and reassemble? I'm sure you could get pretty quick at it...

Ha HA! I was wondering when this would be completed...looks phenomenal! Great job GW. May I ask where exactly you placed the thermocouple?

nakadashi

Holy. Freaking. Crap. I LOVE THIS BAD BOY. I was not in a rush to upgrade to a 12" lid but after seeing this beast I am placing my order as soon as I finish writing this post. Mainly because I am absolutely in love with the idea of sticking two sight glasses on it...omfg...I can't wait for the shoot out to officially confirm what we have known all along -- that terpenators set the standard for every other extractor in existence.

One question though: why did you include two sightglasses? I understand why there is one on the vent port but I don't understand why you also included one before the manifold that leads to the recovery pump(S!!). So bad ass that it can accommodate multiple recovery pumps!!

Holy. Freaking. Crap. I LOVE THIS BAD BOY. I was not in a rush to upgrade to a 12" lid but after seeing this beast I am placing my order as soon as I finish writing this post. Mainly because I am absolutely in love with the idea of sticking two sight glasses on it...omfg...I can't wait for the shoot out to officially confirm what we have known all along -- that terpenators set the standard for every other extractor in existence.

One question though: why did you include two sightglasses? I understand why there is one on the vent port but I don't understand why you also included one before the manifold that leads to the recovery pump(S!!). So bad ass that it can accommodate multiple recovery pumps!!

I'm pretty sure the other sight glass is used to gauge and prevent liquid from going into the recovery pump.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

What TA said. Now that folks are making more cotton candy than oil, it lets you see when you are over filled and aspirating resin.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ha HA! I was wondering when this would be completed...looks phenomenal! Great job GW. May I ask where exactly you placed the thermocouple?

I ordered a 1/4" X 30" tubular Type K thermocouple, with weather head, from Branom Instruments, and picked up a Mypin temperature controller for readout only.

The thermocouple extends down through the top of the recovery manifold end cap, passing down through the sight glass, using a 1/4" compression X 1/4"MPT fitting. Still awaiting the thermocouple, but the Mypin from China is here.

Also awaiting the silicone rubber heat mats for the columns and the Haskel pump that I ordered, though the controllers and solid state relays are here. I also plan to add a cart for the pumps and tanks, as an accessory, but have to design that first.

Permacultuure

Veteran
Is there a reason for the high pressure clamps on the smaller triclamps? I understand the large spools need it but I see a few small ones.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is there a reason for the high pressure clamps on the smaller triclamps? I understand the large spools need it but I see a few small ones.

It's the Valley Girl for sure, for sure model.........

The heavier clamps and eliminating half of the threaded connections, was a design upgrade intended to reduce the possibility of leaks.

HG23

Would widening the port on the lid used for recovery speed up recovery time by anything significant?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Would widening the port on the lid used for recovery speed up recovery time by anything significant?

Unless a much larger pump is used, 1 1/2" is more than adequate.

RHH

Hey GDub(can I call you that?),

Looks awesome. On the recovery side--above the sight glass you have 4 port hookups and the presssure gauge attached. 1 for the vac pump, 2 for the recovery pumps, and the 4th one is for...? Is that where you're threading the thermocouple through?

More details are always appreciated!

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey GDub(can I call you that?),

Looks awesome. On the recovery side--above the sight glass you have 4 port hookups and the presssure gauge attached. 1 for the vac pump, 2 for the recovery pumps, and the 4th one is for...? Is that where you're threading the thermocouple through?

More details are always appreciated!

Yes, it is a 1/4" tubular type K thermocouple and goes through a 1/4" compression fitting at that point.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hee, hee, hee, the Chinese prototypes arrived and except for being beat to shit in transit, they are beautiful.

I decided against the original concentric reducers, in favor of the shorter end cap reducer, since the Mk IV can now be flooded from both directions.

Attachments

• Chinese Prototypes-1-1.jpg
    Chinese Prototypes-1-1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Mk IV valves-1-2.jpg
    Mk IV valves-1-2.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Mk IV manifolds-1-1.jpg
    Mk IV manifolds-1-1.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Mk IV flooding head-1-1.jpg
    Mk IV flooding head-1-1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 35
  • Mk IV Chinese prototype-1-1.jpg
    Mk IV Chinese prototype-1-1.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 36

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Off the subject, but here is the flooding and recovery plumbing for the Mk VB

Attachments

• Mk  V flood and recovery manifolds-1-1.jpg
    Mk V flood and recovery manifolds-1-1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Mk V heads-1-1.jpg
    Mk V heads-1-1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 36

icdog

Hey GW, did you change the valve setup for the dip tube line?
On the pics of your first MKIV phoenix you had a valve on top of the sight glass but on the latest setup you don't.
There is one at the top of the column, wouldn't you want one in both locations?