What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis Fasciation

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have one on a Princess13. Flat stem on one of them. This pplant was topped one is normal the other is flat. I have seen this before. Not 100% sure what there called.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
highlife: ya prolly would, but its pretty random,
i've seen it in cucumbers, climbing on a trelis in the veggie garden...

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
2 more pics of my fasciated driz:
picture.php

couple extra nodes from the fasciation.... they didnt kno where to form.

top down:
picture.php

Tom Hill

Veteran
faciated stems are indicative of a pliable genetic scenario. There may or may not be correlations related to other areas of plasticity, but if so it is certainly not obviously measurable. Until it is, I am of then opinion that said plants would be better to be culled from the genepool, long and way before many other efforts should be brought to bear (weak sexual expression for example). -T

So has anyone that has flowered out a specimen exhibiting fasciation actually felt that is was a benefit or detriment to the end result that we are looking for (yield/quality). Just curious as I am thinking that I am going to cull the one I have right now.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Tom, you know how differently you and I see this stuff, so you wont be surprised to see me say,

Keep it, don't cull it.

I love them, they are heavy yielding and cool to watch grow, only problem with them is they are a little slower and there's a risk of mold. After the tri's, these are my next project.

Tom Hill

Veteran
this is because fasciation is closely related to whoreled phylotaxy, no surprise to me that you would defend it, you're bound to, or admit wasting your efforts and time, something you are not ready to do, it's cool ,bro, we'll wait ;)

Tom Hill

Veteran
So has anyone that has flowered out a specimen exhibiting fasciation actually felt that is was a benefit or detriment to the end
no, exactly like whoreled phylotaxy this is nothing more than misplaced growth, like a midget, not that there's anything wrong with short folk, but there is certainly no acceptable reason to find some undeniable worth, either.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for chiming in tomhill.
Im w ya, they are def more of a novelty, like "hey lookee there, that's pretty cool", nothing thats gon change cannabis the way we do it.... fiber production maybe, but for bud & trich growth, i get ya, misplaced energy. im seein this now 4sure as flowering progresses in this room and the fasiated plant is still stretching and putting growth into stems as other plants begin budset. I know i *should* cull it, but im keepn this lil one around for novelty value....
& documentation.
:)
its just fun to see sumn different also

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
hmm, a house with a solar panel saves money on electricity because it is collecting sunlight. Leaves are the plants solar panels, the more it has the more it can collect. The more it can collect, the more energy it has to work with. Its an old argument, is the energy it takes for a plant to grow leaves wasted, or is it a wise investment for the future? It certainly takes a bit longer, but is the equation of time invested v bud harvested favourable or not? this is the question being debated. The truth is, as with everything in nature, variable from individual to individual. Anyone claiming the same principles of eugenics should be used in all breeding projects is missing the point. Diversity in a species is beneficial to the species. Therefore to my mind, each breeder should have different selection criteria to his particular program, and that will lead to the greatest variety within the species as a whole. When we say everyone should make the same selections we are entering a world I don't want to live in.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hmm, a house with a solar panel saves money on electricity because it is collecting sunlight. Leaves are the plants solar panels, the more it has the more it can collect. The more it can collect, the more energy it has to work with. Its an old argument, is the energy it takes for a plant to grow leaves wasted, or is it a wise investment for the future? It certainly takes a bit longer, but is the equation of time invested v bud harvested favourable or not? this is the question being debated. The truth is, as with everything in nature, variable from individual to individual. Anyone claiming the same principles of eugenics should be used in all breeding projects is missing the point. Diversity in a species is beneficial to the species. Therefore to my mind, each breeder should have different selection criteria to his particular program, and that will lead to the greatest variety within the species as a whole. When we say everyone should make the same selections we are entering a world I don't want to live in.

i feel ya, not trying to say that everyone should cull every fasciated cannabis plant, dunno if tom was either, just to say overall you will prolly do better w a room full of unfasciated plants than a room full of plants showing this mutation, but who knows, maybe not. since its just about completely random, and at least i dont know how to MAKE it happen, its just a fluke anomaly....

most peeps so far say they are more prone to problems and less prone to showing something amazing and new., but hey, keep lookin GMT, im not gona tell u to stop, i made this thread just so people can share pics and info @ this mutation in cannabis and any other plant variety.

i will keep track of my fasciated drizella from clone, and compare it to a similar driz from clone in the same room at harvest.... and maybe that will shed some lite on it. i got very low humidity so not worried about the bud rot aspect.