What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

gibberellin + jasmonic acid = more trichomes?

spurr

Veteran
So is it safe to smoke the buds after you apply the jasmonic acid? Does it affect taste? high? flavor?

Cool thread guys

Yes it's fine, AFAIK. Plants naturally produce JA, you would not be putting anything into the plant that isn't already there.

spurr

Veteran
Note 1:
I made a typo and wrote "methylated" instead of "methyl".

Note 2:
Methyl jasmonate is the same thing as methyl jasmonic acid; both are MeJA.

Note 3:
JA means jasmonate and jasmonic acid.

spurr

Veteran
I'd like to try this experiment on my outdooor patch. Should I get Jaz Rose Spray or Jasmonic Acid in another form? Also apply the Jasmonic Acid about 4 weeks from the end of the flower cycle for peak effectiveness?

It's best to use MeJA as it's most well proven, that said, the form of JA in Jaz spray is also effective. Oswizzle has been using Jaz spray for some time now, and reports the same effects as does Oldman&TheWeed.

I start MeJA application in pre-flower and continue until flower formation starts, around week 4ish. I spray once every two weeks. So I spray usually 3 times from start of pre-flowering to start of heavy bud production. But there is no hard and fast rule, this is new territory, try it, and let us know what you did, and the results you noticed.

It's also important to note that JA is good for many other reasons than just trich and possibly terpenoid production. JA is great for helping the plant defend against biotic attack, and has been found to be effective against PM in some species of plants, etc.

It was Oswizzle who first showed me a study about MeJA effects on trich production in tomato some time ago, at TCC. Then I went from there and did all the background research on JA I posted in the my PGR thread. If it wasn't for Oswizzle giving me a heads up on that first study, none of us would know about using JA for trich production now. This is a brand new area for cannabis growth, AFAIK no-one has written about it or used it prior to Oswizzle and I looking into it, and testing jasmonates.

I'm stoked people are getting interested in this very useful PGR, but besides JA, there are other great PGRs. Albeit no other PGRs I know of have the same effect on trichs.

bugler

So there is a notable effect on trichome production, awesome!
BUT, is there a notable effect on potency? I guess I'm asking if the trich's are just pretty, or does their existence mean higher cannabinoid production as well?

zenoonez

Veteran
Trichomes are where the plant produces its cannabinoids. If you had a plant that didn't produce trichs it wouldn't get you high as I understand the plant physiology.

bugler

@zeno
1. I don't think that is necessarily true. I've gotten way high of not super frosty buds, and just ok high off super frosty.

2. Even if there is a connection in "normal" bud, I wouldn't find it impossible for these increased trichs to be "empty", or to have total thc level just split between more trichs, or something...

spurr

Veteran
@ all, FWIW:

Using MeJA, i.e., methyl jasmonic acid, (aka methyl jasmonate), an ester of jasmonic acid, is similar to some other PGRs, in that it needs to be dissolved in a very small amount of alcohol (e.g., ~< 1 ml), ex., EtOH (ethanol), and then can be mixed with water. Using Jaz spray is easier than using MeJA, but using MeJA isn't hard. I think one could also use isopropyl alcohol (=>70%) to dissolve MeJA, instead of EtOH. I plan to test using Iso (91%) instead of EtOH on my next grow...

spurr

Veteran
So there is a notable effect on trichome production, awesome!
BUT, is there a notable effect on potency? I guess I'm asking if the trich's are just pretty, or does their existence mean higher cannabinoid production as well?

I for one have noticed I seem to get higher from smoking buds from plants that were sprayed with JA, as MeJA. I have not yet tested buds from MeJA application with TLC spot density scanning, but I plan to soon, and compare the results of TLC spot density scanning from non-MeJA sprayed plants. I also plant to do the same test using Jaz spray and compare Jaz spay trich density and THC to MeJA trich density and THC.

Along with THC I plan to look at CBD, and a few other cannabinoids, as well as some terpenoids, with TLC spot density comparison via scanning.

The short answer IMO is yes; increased trich density equals greater level of total THC (and probably some terpenoids) per area or per gram of bud, but not greater THC per gland head.

bugler

Perfect answer! And in my humble opinion, a well calibrated body is just as sensitive, if not more so in answering the potency question than a lab test. Bioassays are old school science, and much more inline with this people's medicine than digits and graphs.

The results on varieties of cannabinoids, terpenoids etc would be interesting though for future medical investigation.

Keep it up!

that is mostly right. I would even go as far to say that if a plant that didnt form trichs will not get you high. I know this because I grew one a while back that made zero oils in the buds but it did make hollow trichs. I read what caused that last night but I dont remember exactly what it was. Some type of mutation.

Its not only the trichs that contain thc, so many people have bought into that. Trichs do contain alot of the thc in some strains, but in other strains(usually sativas, landrace especially) there is more thc located within the calyx itself. Plus sativas in general contain more thc per gram than indicas, thus further corroborating what I am saying

I am also curious as to if it increases potency. At first I thought well of course it has to. But think about this, if it is only causing an elongation of the fiberous part of the trichome is it causing the plant to produce more oils fill in the new growth or is it simply pulling oils from within the calyx upward. In that case the whole experiment would be bunk in my opinion. If its only elongating the trichs I would feel like I was being shady in doing that, being decptive, using trickery, ect.

Im not saying thats what anyone is trying to do but i would seriously like to see a scientific test on the thc levels before I use this stuff. plus if its only stretching the fiberous parts of the trichomes it seems to me that it would make the smoke more harsh than it would be otherwise.

IDK just something to think about

spurr

Veteran
I would even go as far to say that if a plant that didnt form trichs will not get you high.

Yes, THC is formed in trichomes, as are other cannabinoids, mostly in glandular trichomes (in the head) but I also think (IIRC) that non-glandular trichomes have THC.

Its not only the trichs that contain thc, so many people have bought into that. Trichs do contain alot of the thc in some strains, but in other strains(usually sativas, landrace especially) there is more thc located within the calyx itself.
Not to my understanding. AFAIK,THC is formed in glandular trichomes, and maybe non-glandular trichomes. Glandular trichomes are located on calyxes, and I am nearly 100% positive THC is not located in the tissue of calyxes. Do you have any data to back up your claim?

Plus sativas in general contain more thc per gram than indicas, thus further corroborating what I am saying
I disagree with that, it's too much of a generalization IMO. THC quantity is a phenotypic trait, and is affected by the growing environment, besides by the genetic heredity of the plant.

I am also curious as to if it increases potency. At first I thought well of course it has to. But think about this, if it is only causing an elongation of the fiberous part of the trichome is it causing the plant to produce more oils fill in the new growth or is it simply pulling oils from within the calyx upward. In that case the whole experiment would be bunk in my opinion. If its only elongating the trichs I would feel like I was being shady in doing that, being decptive, using trickery, ect.
MeJA increases trich density, i.e., number of trichs per leaf area. I am not sure what you mean by "oils"; if you mean secondary metabolites like terpenoids, AFAIK many are formed in the trichome, like is the case with THC, etc.

If a plant has greater trich density (ex., glandular trichomes), then it stands to reason the plant would have greater quantity of THC per area or per gram (depending upon how you want to quantify THC). But that doesn't necessarily mean that each trich holds more THC than plants not sprayed with jasmonates (like JA, MeJA or MDHJ).

Im not saying thats what anyone is trying to do but i would seriously like to see a scientific test on the thc levels before I use this stuff.
Why? While I agree data on THC levels (either by TLC, HPLC, GC, etc.) is warranted, it's not needed for people to use jasmonates. It stands to reason from greater trich density you get greater total THC per bud, per leaf, etc.

Others reasons to use jasmonates is evidence that jasmontes (e.g., MeJA) increases some terpenoids (in both plants and trees); and it's well proven jasmonates increase plant resistance to many biotic attacks (ex., PM) and some abiotic stresses too, like drought conditions, coldness, etc.

plus if its only stretching the fiberous parts of the trichomes it seems to me that it would make the smoke more harsh than it would be otherwise.
That is not the case, jasmonates (as MeJA) increases trich density. Trichome formation needs jasmonates, as MeJA.

spurr

Veteran
Another study I recently came across compares the effects of three different elicitors on the accumulation of the terpenoid essential oils in basil over a three-week period.

Terpenoid Essential Oil Metabolism in Basil (Ocimum basilicum L.) Following Elicitation

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa4091/is_200611/ai_n17189964/

While basil is not cannabis, the same effects MAY carry over. The elicitors studied were chitosan, methyl jasmonate, and methyl salicylate.

This is what the study showed:

Chitosan: The plants treated with chitosan resulted in no induction of the monoterpene limonene and the response on concentration of the other terpenoids was more varied compared to methyl salicylate and methyl jasmonate.

Methyl Jasmonate: The plants treated with methyl jasmonate took192 hours after spraying to show a significant increase in terpenoid production, but “resulted in the most uniform response in biosynthesis” compared to the other two elicitors. Methyl jasmonate was the only elicitor that resulted in total percentage increase of β-caryophyllene, 1,8-cinelole, linalool and limonene.

Methyl Salicylate: While induction in the methyl salicylate treated plants occurred faster than with the other elicitors, the total percentage increase of terpenes showed a lower effect on methyl salicylate treated plants.

So, this study seems to show that methyl jasmonate is the most effective of the three elicitors studied in increasing terpenoid essential oils in basil.

The low showing of chitosan is interesting, since it is the active ingredient in so many hydo store potions that claim to increase trichome production.

Nice find, I read that a while ago but forgot about it. Thanks for posting the study. I am going to post in my PGR thread too.

spurr

Veteran
If aesthetics or bag appeal mean nothing, than perhaps the combination of gibberellin and jasmonic acid just MIGHT be for you. It does work, but with foxtailing as a side effect.

If a low enough concentration of GA3 can not be found that (1) does not cause fox tails and (2) increases trich destiny, people that grow cannabis for edibles or hash/kif or other extracts would probably benefit from using both GA3 and JA. I know that is my plan if I can't find the a sufficiently low dosage of GA3 to meet the criteria above, for when I grow just for extracts, edibles.

Dude I have the flu so I will try to answer your questions the best I can, I feel like shit.

Quote:
Its not only the trichs that contain thc, so many people have bought into that. Trichs do contain alot of the thc in some strains, but in other strains(usually sativas, landrace especially) there is more thc located within the calyx itself.

Not to my understanding. AFAIK,THC is formed in glandular trichomes, and maybe non-glandular trichomes. Glandular trichomes are located on calyxes, and I am nearly 100% positive THC is not located in the tissue of calyxes. Do you have any data to back up your claim?

No this is just something I have noticed over the years with sativa srains, pure sativas have tiny trichs, hence less trichome coverage. Im not arguing that thc isnt made in the trichomes. It could even only be made in the trichomes but I believe that some strains/phenos calyxes absorb thc produced by the trichomes. IDK how it happens but I know we have all busted into a darker than normal sativa but that was just greasy not sticky. I have many times actually, and what im saying is generally that happens on sativa strains. Or that is my observation from over the years

And by oils I meant tch, cbd, cbn, the essential oils in cannabis

B

BigTex

The Phytotechlab link has an attachment regarding the sale of MeJA...

"This product is for research use only and cannot be purchased for hobby use. The product cannot be shipped to residential addresses unless proof of legitimate research use can be provided."

That's a problem for me and I guess counts me out as I am not doing legitimate research nor can I get it delivered to my house. Looks like I'll be using Jaz Rose Spray...oh well.

The Phytotechlab link has an attachment regarding the sale of MeJA...

"This product is for research use only and cannot be purchased for hobby use. The product cannot be shipped to residential addresses unless proof of legitimate research use can be provided."

That's a problem for me and I guess counts me out as I am not doing legitimate research nor can I get it delivered to my house.

Just go here:

http://www.jazsprays.com/Jaz-Rose-Spray--16-oz-Concentrate_p_8.html

The active ingredient in Jaz Rose spray is methyl jasmonate.

No "proof of legitimate research use" needed.

B

BigTex

Hey OldMan while you were typing that last post I was editing my last sentence. LOL
Yea you sent me that link earlier and I checked it out...at that price how could I not try it! Normally I avoid excess chemicals but I think this little experiment is safe enough. Thanks for the info :D

...Spurr thanks for the links you sent me earlier :D