What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Foilar damage, Need Help!!

Huncho

Been growing for 6 years + been using coco for 2.5 and out of all the time I've spent growing I've never seen this type of leaf damage and I swear I've just noticed this today, hasn't gotten to everything yet and my gut is telling me to flush, so I'm going to do that today...

Anyone had this issue before, I have no idea, and I've spent hours and hour searching, I see no scatapilars or anything on the bottom sides of the leaves, this room did have mites but all I sprayed was organicide at a low mix rate about a week ago

78-80 degrees, 30-35 RH , 3 gal pots with royal gold coco, botanicare pbp with botanicare additives, I also have been using alliance biologics in each rez lately, I usually use of biowar foilar pack and nute pack.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Huncho

I'm starting to think its moths or catapilars but I've never dealt with them before and searching multiple sites isn't giving me much visual help.

if it is moths or catapilars would I not see them during the day? stake out over night?

I've read plenty on how to control both moths and catapilars but I was hoping someone else would be able to chime in here and give there 2 cents before I make any move.

I watered with hygrozyme water because they needed feed and I'm unsure whats going on

Huncho

Figured it out, it's sulfur burn. Smoked a lil and sat there thinking of past experiences, remembered a buddy killing some plants by forgetting to turn off sulfur burner when lights turned back on, looked way worse but I remembered odd burnt looking holes so I did some lite searching of sulfur burnt plants, found several people with identical foilar damage.

Makes total sense why it was over night issue, also the worst of it are the plants closest to the burner, plants in back of room are fine.

I'm chalking it up to too long of a sulfur burn without enough exhaust of the sulfur from the room before light came back on, as I have it all on timers.

The supposed fix is to turn off light(s) and spray room temp water to rinse off plants, turn lights back on once dry.

Just got my light back on everything dried up and leaves have better look to them for sure now, hopefully new growth will shine threw quickly

buzzmobile

Veteran
I appreciate the free lesson. I've heard that sulfur burners can do some strange things and now I have seen a strange thing. Leaf skeletonizers would be the only type of critter to suggest but the damage they leave behind is much different looking.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
The only bug I've seen cause anything like that are leaf hoppers but I agree with OPs theory of it being the sulphur burner + lights..

Huncho

it was deff sulfur burn.

turned off the lights and sprayed room temp water to rinse them off, waited 1 hour for them to dry completely and then turned MH back on, they were praying at the light in about 5 mins!

today, a few days later I'm seeing new growth and everything seems to be fine now.

another thing I noticed in this room was the even smaller plants I have that are in solo cups in the back of the room initially didn't have any visual damage (I'm assuming because there under a T5 light and not the MH) but I'm noticing some weird deformed vegetable looking growth. I'm guessing the sulfur particles or whatever made those act a little weird, I sprayed water on them too.

as far as I can tell only a few days later, the room temp water being sprayed on them rinsed whatever residue the burner left on them and they are back to looking strong (besides some skeleton leaves LOL)

all new growth looks great and normal though.

just a note to anyone finding this down the line, when using a sulfur I think doing a water rinse the morning after your burn is probably a good preventative measure to take so you don't accidentally have this happen like I did.

Cheers!