What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I used systemic pesticide , should I throw it away ?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@ Dirt Bag...you are aware, there's a major lawsuit regarding lymphoma/leukemia deaths from those using Round Up, a Monsanto product.

Spouting that Bayer-Monsanto products are safe, and they have people's best interest involved is untrue.

And the list goes on to harmful byproducts of Monsanto, chemists and scientists aware, but nothing done....yet. This lawsuit may show just how harmful the mega-corporation is to ordinary consumers.

Dirt Bag

The leaves absorb the pesticide.. that is how it works... It would be great for a rose bush or some other ornamental... Do what you want, it is your plants... Myself and some others here advise against that, because you are smoking the end product I presume?

Personally, we don't consume anything that develops during vegetative stage, which happens to be those parts most preferred by insects.
Systemic pesticides such as imidacloprid are not systemically relocated throughout the plant and is why reapplication is necessary once flowers develop (on ornamentals such as roses).
Using a relatively mild systemic in vegetative states will not affect flowers OR any other plant material that forms after application. The proof is in the pudding. Bugs that feed on untreated material live, ones that eat treated die.
For those wondering about imidacloprid, it is the most widely used pesticide on earth, is the active ingredient in those drops you put on your dog once a month, and is indeed detrimental to pollinators, such as bees so shouldn't be used outdoors on any flowering plants. However, indoors on your cannabis plants it will eliminate (not "help to control") any insects that feed on your plants. Any I've ever encountered, anyway.
I would be remiss to neglect to mention Mosquito Dunks for gnats. Just keep one floating in your reservoir or sprinkle the bits on your soil. You'll never see a gnat again.
Before these two miracle products we were in constant battle with whiteflies and fungus gnats and even mites on one occasion.
Now we're insect free. We don't have to spray plants in the flower room at all (though I always treat around the room as I do the rest of the property). Sticky yellow traps snag intruders, which has included a few unidentifiable bugs as well as whiteflies.

Last edited:

MrBungle

Reading the OP's first post.... he applied it 1 month before the problem reoccurred... he has 4 months before harvest..... That sounds like a pure sativa in flower to me....

but over all it is unclear whether he is in flower or veg....

And dirtbag, you may have solved your bug problem, but it still doesn't tell me that your weed is safe to smoke...

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Using a relatively mild systemic in vegetative states will not affect flowers OR any other plant material that forms after application. The proof is in the pudding.
Residual levels of pesticides, which are weak enough to not kill pests, will still cause issues with human consumption. Especially if the flowers are used for extracts.

Cannabis is a hyper/dynamic accumulator plant, and treating it with chemicals the same way you do common fruits and veggies WILL cause harm.

Period. End of story.

baxbax

picture.php

the leaves near soil are like this , what pest is this likely ?

Douglas.Curtis

If you don't see pests on the plants themselves, the issue will be in the root zone. Mites, gnats, root aphids, whiteflies? Couple things make white dots on the leaves like that.

Dirt Bag

@ Dirt Bag...you are aware, there's a major lawsuit regarding lymphoma/leukemia deaths from those using Round Up, a Monsanto product.

Spouting that Bayer-Monsanto products are safe, and they have people's best interest involved is untrue.

And the list goes on to harmful byproducts of Monsanto, chemists and scientists aware, but nothing done....yet. This lawsuit may show just how harmful the mega-corporation is to ordinary consumers.

Roundup and it's lawsuit has absolutely nothing to do with imidacloprid.
I never said anything about people's best interests.
Coincidentally, and also as irrelevant, I am a stage 2 and stage 4 Diffuse Large B Cell Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma survivor of 4 years now.

Dirt Bag

Residual levels of pesticides, which are weak enough to not kill pests, will still cause issues with human consumption. Especially if the flowers are used for extracts.

Cannabis is a hyper/dynamic accumulator plant, and treating it with chemicals the same way you do common fruits and veggies WILL cause harm.

Period. End of story.

Bullshit

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bayer-Monsanto = multi billion dollar corporation employing some of the most brilliant Nobel Prize winning scientists and chemists in the world. The people behind so many of the life saving, life changing, amazing things the entire world depends on every day that I'm not going to bother listing them,
Crock....oh it's changing lives....causing life threatening illnesses cancer.

https://abc7news.com/health/opening-arguments-begin-in-roundup-lawsuit/3733407/

In July 2015, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), a specialized intergovernmental agency of the World Health Organization (WHO), issued a final health assessment of glyphosate — the active chemical in Monsanto Company’s Roundup® herbicide — determining that glyphosate is a Group 2A agent, ”probably carcinogenic to humans.”

IARC [International Agency for Research on Cancer] on specifically linked exposure to Roundup® to non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL), (including its various subtypes such as lymphocytic lymphoma / chronic lymphocytic leukemia, B-cell lymphoma, hairy cell leukemia, and others).

Monsanto is a harmful company, regardless of their Nobel standing. That's likely to change....

pumpkinpie eyes

Veteran
Reading the OP's first post.... he applied it 1 month before the problem reoccurred... he has 4 months before harvest..... That sounds like a pure sativa in flower to me....

but over all it is unclear whether he is in flower or veg....

And dirtbag, you may have solved your bug problem, but it still doesn't tell me that your weed is safe to smoke...

i wouldn't smoke it. arg!

Gry

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas.Curtis

Period. End of story.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bullshit
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Can sure understand how you would hope so.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Douglas.Curtis

LOL, always appreciate you sharing Gry. :)

Pray tell, which part is bullshit? That residual levels of pesticides still harm humans? That's a fact, lol. The scientific community is loaded with studies on low pesticide effects on animals.

Cannabis is a hyper/dynamic accumulator plant? Nope, that's true too.

So... Which part again?

MrBungle

"Based on laboratory rat studies, imidacloprid is rated as "moderately toxic" on an acute oral basis to mammals and low toxicity on a dermal basis by the World Health Organization and the United States Environmental Protection Agency (class II or III, requiring a "Warning" or "Caution" label). It is rated as an "unlikely" carcinogen and as weakly mutagenic by the U.S. EPA (group E). It is not listed for reproductive or developmental toxicity, but is listed on EPA's Tier 1 Screening Order for chemicals to be tested under the Endocrine Disruptor Screening Program (EDSP).[11][23] Tolerances for imidacloprid residues in food range from 0.02 mg/kg in eggs to 3.0 mg/kg in hops.[1]
Animal toxicity is moderate when ingested orally and low when applied dermally. It is not irritating to eyes or skin in rabbits and guinea pigs (although some commercial preparations contain clay as an inert ingredient, which may be an irritant). The acute inhalation LD50 in rats was not reached at the greatest attainable concentrations, 69 milligrams per cubic meter of air as an aerosol, and 5,323 mg a.i./m3 of air as a dust. In rats subjected to a two-year feeding study, no observable effect was seen at 100 parts per million (ppm). In rats, the thyroid is the organ most affected by imidacloprid. Thyroid lesions occurred in male rats at a LOAEL of 16.9 mg a.i./kg/day. In a one-year feeding study in dogs, no observable effect was seen at 1,250 ppm, while levels up to 2,500 ppm led to"

"Imidacloprid and its nitrosoimine metabolite (WAK 3839) have been well studied in rats, mice and dogs. In mammals, the primary effects following acute high-dose oral exposure to imidacloprid are mortality, transient cholinergic effects (dizziness, apathy, locomotor effects, labored breathing) and transient growth retardation. Exposure to high doses may be associated with degenerative changes in the testes, thymus, bone marrow and pancreas. Cardiovascular and hematological effects have also been observed at higher doses. The primary effects of longer term, lower-dose exposure to imidacloprid are on the liver, thyroid, and body weight (reduction). Low- to mid-dose oral exposures have been associated with reproductive toxicity, developmental retardation and neurobehavioral deficits in rats and rabbits. Imidacloprid is neither carcinogenic in laboratory animals nor mutagenic in standard laboratory assays.[46]
Midacloprid is moderately toxic and is linked to neurotoxic, reproductive and mutagenic effects. It has been found to be highly toxic to bees and other beneficial insects. It is also toxic to upland game birds, is generally persistent in soils and can leach to groundwater. Health Canada has stated that the chemical's toxicity to bees and other insects is not in scientific dispute.[47]
Effects of imidacloprid on human health and the environment depend on how much imidacloprid is present and the length and frequency of exposure. Effects also depend on the health of a person and/or certain environmental factors.[48]
A study conducted in tissue culture of neurons harvested from newborn rats showed that Imidacloprid and acetamiprid, another neonicotinoid, excited the neurons in a way similar to nicotine, so the effects of neonicotinoids on developing mammalian brains might be similar to the adverse effects of nicotine.[49]"

All these studies that call it safe for mammals are based on oral consumption and/or breathing the chemical in via air particles... none of it shows what smoking the chemical does to mammals

MrBungle

Its your health.. do what you want.... I'm just putting the info out there... I aint smoking your weed.... nor will I ever

baxbax

the problem about this hard hitting pesticides that kill pest very well and kick their ass at outdoor grow is : they just stay long time likely over +200 days in soil and does not degrade that easily and plant roots take it while drinking for a period of time , but the half life of thiamethoxam and other nicotine like pesticide in rat plant tissue is few hours , this means when you chop down after few hours half of chemical will broke down to it's safe components , What if you don't let pesticide drip to soil and just spray leaves ? I don't think it would stay more then 30 days on plant tissue , it has just long half life in soil not plant tissue , and studies report sun degrade it more faster ,

MrBungle

Once you spray it on the leaves, the plant absorbs it into its system, and it circulates through every part of the plant.. That includes the roots

baxbax

Once you spray it on the leaves, the plant absorbs it into its system, and it circulates through every part of the plant.. That includes the roots

roots are part of plant or they will leach from roots to whole soil ? , studies say it has just long half life in soil , fruit farmers add it to their nutrients mix tank and water plants in soil, they barely use it as foliar , it's metabolites and degradation rate isn't likely more then pre harvest interval given by company , It is harmful to bees and kill them fast , but bees aren't attracted by cannabis , because of that it banned in europe but farmers in US use it on tobacco plant according to email syngenta technical support send me :
James,

The Actara pre-harvest interval on tobacco is 14 days so it can be applied up to 14 days from harvest.

Thank you,

David Lowe
James,

The labeled crop is tobacco = Nicotiana tabacum, typically grown on the east coast of United States.

David Lowe

Biological Half-Life
The half-life times from rat tissue ranged from 2-6 hours.

Field dissipation rates for imidacloprid and thiamethoxam are variable. The half-life for imidacloprid has been reported to be as short as 60 days (Liu et al. 2011) or as long as 280 days in field soils (Saran and Kamble 2008). The half-life for thiamethoxam is much shorter, and ranges from 9 days in field soils (Karmakar and Kulshrestha 2009) to up to 75 days in lab soils (Maienfisch et al. 2001)