What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chemical process of curing

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Dunno if the USC story is true but it wouldn't be the first time and it surely won't be the last time this happens.
Every time I hear such a story, not only here but everywhere, it turns my stomach and makes me feel sick to the heart. It's so sad ;( !
Too few honest people on this planet and those who are throw the towel because of some greedy selfish f***. :cry:
A proverb I like very much goes as follows:
Taking fills your hands
Giving fills your heart

Back to topic
@Coldcanna: You are correct. These constituents are rare in many plants and often located to specific plant organs, most often flower petals. For example the reds and purples in beetroot, amaranth, or opuntia cactus are yet another kind of compounds (betanins, replace flavonoids in these species) whereas that in onion bulbs are atypical flavonoid derivatives, both of those are not present in cannabis.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Sorry, I didn’t mean to side track the thread by posting that whole Mustafunk post but it was the only way I could figure out how to post the images.

OO, are you saying there aren’t anthocyanins in cannabis? Or were you referring to betanins and other atypical flavonoid derivatives?

Agronomist

Only plants in the order (classification above family) Caryophyllales produce Betalains. For example, Beets contain Betanin which gives the root its purple-red color.
On the other hand these plants do not produce Anthocyanins.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
I was, as pointed out by Agronomist, referring to betanins and some (but not all) flavonoid derivatives. Anthocyanidins/anthocyanins are most likely the only constituents responsible for the red, purple, and blue colours in cannabis.

DenverJim

Questions that come to mind about curing and other stuff.

Questions that come to mind about curing and other stuff.

It seems to me that I can’t judge quality until weed has been cured for at least a month.

The best Pot I ever smoked was in ‘73-74 oxacan. It was brownish red with at least 50% seed. The buds were on sticks with long internodes
The best hash was ‘70 71. This stuff would overwhelm you at first but I developed a tolerance bud could keep getting higher and higher. I did not know about sativa/indica then. I did know narcotics came from that part of the world and just thought it was cut with opium.
If hash is degraded weed it seems like it should have a lot of CBN. It should make you tired like the comotose indica the young like. Hash makes you high why?
I remember being able to smoke a joint get high for awhile and then not being high and smoking again and again during the day. When we had it. Why aren’t most of today’s sativas the same?
Why do tropical strain enthusiasts cure weed for such along time after taking a long tome to grow it in the first place?
As far as buying from USC and Tropical. I have to get seeds somewhere. I don’t have the connections some of you have.
i just read a study done for the state of Washington on ediables. They concluded that edibles stored at room temperature didn’t loose potency after 3 months. Not conventional wisdom.
I have learned not to trust conventional wisdom.

Junkyard Frog

Yeah no - Again I havent tried the vacuum method hence the redundant use of "or" to present both options.
Definitely do not use dry ice in the vacuum method and this will not degrade chlorophyll.
It will however make your herb smokeable post hanging. It will not be harsh but slightly piney similar to week 2/3 in jars.
Time is money and actually testing a small quantity for yourself could be very valuable..

I've read through hundreds of pages of info about how people cure their finished flowers. Was wondering if someone here could either explain or reference a paper as to what chemical processes are happening during curing? Trying to develop a science based, instrument measurable process. Thank you

Google isoprenoid biosynthesis, you will find the answer to growing the world's best Cannabis. Anyone can do it if they step back and evaluate the end goal: promote and steer isoprenoid biosynthesis.

Isoprenoid biosynthesis is the goal of growing Cannabis,and continues past harvest. The breakdown of chlorophyll, oxidation, aging etc are indirect contributors. Nothing is going to make some dirt smelling buds end up tasting like candy but bacterial processes.

DenverJim

Cure in the sun

Cure in the sun

I grew an afg#1 clone outside in a lot of shade in ‘17. Dumped this clone in a shady spot a leafy hashplant that changed to purple/red. After the plant was killed by the cold it kinda dried on the outside with the bleaching out outer leaves shielding the main part of the bud. Removed the brittle outer leaves and seived the rest over time outside in the cold. The result a floral tasting smooth smoke unlike any other Afg 1. Not as floral as Urkel though.
Curing is essential in order to evaluate the high. Right now one of my favorite smokes is 3 yrs old and it has just been sitting in a baggie. The sweet smell is gone but the high is still clear with no come down drag.