What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Barneys blue cheese grow diary 400W HPS + tent

Budpirate

Hi guys! :wave:

So last week i started up a new grow project and i thought i would post pics here during this grow for your enjoyment!

Ill be growing five feminized barneys farm blue cheese, i also had some auto hindu kush seeds from lowlife lying arround and got one of them to germ so also popped that one into the tent! Always loved barneys blue cheese so figured it would be lovely to have some of my own homegrown to smoke!

Im growing in a 100x100x200 cm tent, got a 400w sunmaster dual spectrum HPS sitting in a cooltube in there which is hooked up to a carbon filter sitting in the tent, have an inline fan + fan muffler sitting outside the tent.

The germed seeds were put into jiffys eight days ago today, i mixed soil and put the jiffys into the 15 litre pots yesterday. Got them growing in soil mixed with some perlite and vermiculite and also a bunch of small and big clay pebbles, also have a layer of clay pebbles in the bottom of the pots and on top as you can see on the pics. I dont know the exact volume of the pots, did a rought calculation and came up with about 15.6 litres on the outside diameter. I currently have the lights about 50 cm from the top of the pots, temps are about 23-24 degrees C measured in the shade between the pots.

When setting my grow up i realized i had purchased too little vent hose to lower the lights far enough to utilize the light properly. So I was either gonna have to get more vent hose in order to lower the cooltube further - or raise the pots, i went with the cheaper solution of raising the pots, got some plastic buckets and boxes that i put the pots on top of, raises the pots about 45 cm.

Regular updates will be coming!

Budpirate

Plants seem to like the new pots, however the auto hindu kush barley grew anything the last few days while the blue cheese plants are coming along nicely.

picture.php

the auto hindu kush:
picture.php

(was hard to get a good pic of it with the hps turned on xD)

Ill be using biobizz nutes for this grow, havent tried em before but always wanted to.
picture.php

So the plan is to have the plants in 18/6 about a month or so before switching over to 12/12. I think i will be topping the plants at the third node and using some LST to keep em nice and low.

Budpirate

Decided to chop down the auto hindu kush cause it was growing so bad, also cut down the cheese plant growing the worst to focus on the four blue cheese plants doing the best.

picture.php

They are about 15 days old now, topped them today.
picture.php

picture.php

MJINC

Tried some blue cheese from Barneys a little while back and it was a very nice smoke. Looking forward to seeing how your grow does. Good luck

Budpirate

Growin on nice, about 24 days old now! I have also started some LST now. By accident i broke one of the branches on a plant while adjusting the LST, seems to be healing up tho, gonna take it easy with that plant a few days so it can heal up before i start training it again.

Before LST was started a few days ago:
picture.php

Few days after:
picture.php

The two closest plants seem to be a bit more stretchy than the others, they were easier to work with when doin LST, the other two were way more compact and bushy.
picture.php

bushier ones:
picture.php

Also noticed im starting to get some ganja-smell inside the tent now :D

Gonna be keepin em in 18/6 a couple days more before going into flowering.

Lethal

Hi Budpirate,

hope you won't mind if I will lurk through this thread occasionally ;) You have same setup in terms of space, but I am going for 6 plants instead of 4 in bit smaller containers and hempy style. Seems you are having really good grow rate I should be topping also probably this weekend.

looking forward for next update ;)

Lethal :tiphat:

Budpirate

Hey guys!:wave:

So plants are 31 days old today! I started flowering the plants this monday when the plants were 28 days old.

picture.php

They are growing on nicely and starting their flowering-stretching. Becamy very bushy down between all the branches so i have done some pruning down there last few days. Also gave two of the plants their first nutes today, some weakly mixed bio grow. Gonna be starting with bio bloom and topmax in the near future.

picture.php

picture.php

Budpirate

You going to take any clones off those before flowering? Looks like you could get a few

Well i dont have anywhere to root/veg em, and when i finish this grow up i figgure ill have nuff weed for a good while ahead so i wont need to grow again right after i finish up now. Think ill have trouble running this setup during the summer with the heat, hopefully the weed will last me untill we get colder weather again after the summer and crank the grow up again then.

Budpirate

Hi Budpirate,

hope you won't mind if I will lurk through this thread occasionally ;) You have same setup in terms of space, but I am going for 6 plants instead of 4 in bit smaller containers and hempy style. Seems you are having really good grow rate I should be topping also probably this weekend.

looking forward for next update ;)

Lethal :tiphat:

Not at all lurk on :) Yeah grow rate seems pretty decent, gonna be interesting to see how big harvest ill be able to get out of this grow. Im hoping for like at least 150 grams of bud but ofc hopefully more :D

Budpirate

Day 11 of flowering!

Day 11 of flowering!

Hi guys!

Plants are growing on nicely! The LST is keeping em nice and low even tho they are in full stretching-mode now, they are however growing out to the sides quite a bit and have filled up the tent quite well now!
picture.php

I have managed to keep the tops of the side-branches in more or less the same height and most of them are getting light, gonna have a whole load of budding-points once the flowering takes off!
picture.php

I have also moved the plants down a bit, earlier i had em standing on buckets + plastic boxes but now i only have em sitting on the buckets which is kinda nice cause it felt slightly unstable having the pots sitting on top of the buckets + boxes, i was kinda fearing stumbeling onto the tent or something and having the plants fall arround like a bunch of domino bricks hehe

Anyway plants are starting to develop calyxes in the tops of the side-branches now. Starting to get a bit stinky in the tent now aswell, but the carbon scrubber is doin its thing and keeping it smell-free outside.

Budpirate

Ok so im at day 21 of flowering today!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Plants are doing ok and are starting to bud. Have had what i belive to be light potassium deficiency amongst the plants, will be giving more nutrients with upcoming waterings.

Budpirate

Ok so im 4 weeks into flowering now!

Starting to get some real nice and fruity weed-smell inside the tent now. Plants are also starting to produce some trichomes :)
picture.php

The plants have started getting far more thirsty the last while, getting water+nutes about every four days now, have been increasing the dosage of bio bloom & topmax and im currently up to 2.5 ml/litre for the next watering, also giving some gold label ultra mg & roots.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

OneStonedPony

I thought about getting some of those seeds. I love Cheese. I usually grow GH fems of Cheese. I grew Big Buddha's Cheesus last year and really liked. I'm going to tag along on your thread if you don't mind. I want to see how these finish.

Budpirate

Yeah i love cheese aswell :) First time i grow a cheese strain tho so gonna be interesting to see how this strain will do. Also gonna be interesting to see how the diffrent plants compare to each other. One of the plants seem to be some kind of indica-pheno as its far more compact and bushy and its currently developing the biggest/fattest tops while the other three plants are more stretchy and have more sparse bud-formations.

I doubt the plants will finish flowering in 52-57 days like barneysfarm says. Did some research before buying the seeds and looked arround in a couple of grow diaries on diffrent forums with this strain and it seems to need more like 63-70 days to finish properly.

Im still dealing with some kind of light nute def / high ph. Sort of looks like the plants need potassium and or magnesium, unclear weather its due to nutrient lockout due to high ph or that i havent been feeding nuff or combination of bouth. Older lower leaves are yellowing between the veins of the leaves, some get brown spots along edges, drying and falling off, most leaves on the plant has also gotten a tiny bit yellow on the tip of the leaves.

I have not had access to ph-meter so have not been able to check up on the ph of runoff or the water i feed the plants. Tho i know from earlier measurements i have a bit high ph on my tap water so last 2 waterings i have been adding about 1 ml 24% vineger per litre of water to lower the ph, gonna be adding more with future waterings.

Irael

Hey budpirate, seems like they do pretty good in your box :biggrin:
Do you fertilize every time you water?

Greetz

Budpirate

Yeah i have been fertilizing with every watering lately, when i started giving nutes i was like feeding em with every second watering but started feeding every time after a couple of times.

Gelado`

Veteran
The yellow tips = excess nitrogen

the downturned leaves do indicate a pH issue, but I think your pH may be low instead of high. Potting soil tends to go low pH when used with chemical fertilizers, so you may need to water in a little lime / pH up or just stop using the vinegar! Any 'nute deficiencies' may be because your pH is out of range.

Backing off on feeding so much and feeding every other watering may be all it takes IMO, but definitely check the pH of your solution. Your plants were fine before the vinegar, yes? I'd give them a good flush with tap water and then feed with half strength nute solution. If you don't want to mess with pH testing and all of that, just feed 1/2 strength nutes or even 1/2 strength every other watering.

Also pebbles may have given me pH issues in the past, even after washing the heck out of them, so I won't be using them again. I am instead planning to use a layer of glass marbles (!) on top of my potting soil to stop peat/coco/vermicullite dust from blowing onto the buds and into the room.

Subbed since we're both growing with 400W HPS and growing four plants, although you have a bigger tent and an air cooled hood! :D That and your grow is much further along than mine! Even with the minor pH/excess fert issues, your plants look good and I think you'll have some decent smoke come harvest time! IMO less is more with ferts and too much hurts both yields and the final product. A lot of canna fertilizers are far too strong to use according to label directions, and then when people have pH issues they think they need to feed more/buy more products. I've decided to use Peter's Professional fertilizers for this run and use them at 1/8 and then 1/4 strength with every other watering to see how they handle it. I won't bump up to 1/2 strength unless they show me they need it. I can't comment on Bio'Bizz as I've never used any of their products and probably won't as I feel cannabis-specific fertilizers are a bit of a scam!

Latest posts

Latest posts