What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

when to pollinate?

Dimebagg

Hey guys, I got a good father plant that I'd like to collect some pollen from for some small scale, controlled seed making.

I just want to pollinate a bud or so on a few different ladies in the flower cab, which is on a 12/12 perpetual cycle. About how far into flowering should I pollinate? Is seed production time a stain to strain variation? Most of what Im growing now has an 8-10 week flowering time.

I dont know the usual process for this, but I'd like to just have the seeds mature and ready at harvest, so I can pick them out after drying. Thanks guys

delerious

I go a minimum of 30 days after pollination. When I pollinate just a few buds, I'll cut the plant in stages, I'm more interested in the seeds than the smoke so I don't mind if the seeded buds go too long if it means I'll get viable seeds. I usually gift a seeded bud to some grower friends, tell them what it is (Afghan Haze x No. Cheese Haze was last one). They get an idea what the mother was like and when they harvest, I get a taste of the result ( a win/win - they get free seeds and I get to see if it's worth exploring further).

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You really need 5 weeks to be 100% certain your seeds are mature, if your strains flower for 8 you must pollinate at 3 weeks in, if you don't have enough pistols at 3 weeks then wait a week and when it's time to chop keep the seeded branch/s going an extra week.

asstastic

You really need 5 weeks to be 100% certain your seeds are mature, if your strains flower for 8 you must pollinate at 3 weeks in, if you don't have enough pistols at 3 weeks then wait a week and when it's time to chop keep the seeded branch/s going an extra week.
this guys spot on i go 6 weeks
i would seed early on so the seed sticks out the top of the bud instead of in it. there alot easyer to find
so 2-3 weeks into flower

ibjamming

Veteran

this guys spot on i go 6 weeks
i would seed early on so the seed sticks out the top of the bud instead of in it. there alot easyer to find
so 2-3 weeks into flower

Actually...she's a she...

Listen to these people, they know what they're doing.

I go 6 weeks to be sure. Actually what I do is...pollinate when I have a month to go, just a few bottom buds. In 4 weeks I take the tops and leave the bottom pollinated branches to keep growing. In another 2 weeks I take the bottoms. They've usually grown a bit and we ALL harvest and then say..."it could have gone another week or two"...am I right? Win - win.

Just do a few buds...you'll get a lot of seeds from each. More than you think you will.

Good luck!

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I shoot for 40 days. Still leaves a few greenies. This stem contained well over 100 seeds. Collect pollen in another room and then carefully "paint" a bud or stem using a Q-tip, paint brush etc.

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I pollinate as soon as possible when there are plenty of fresh white pistils which is around week 2 or 3 of flowering, then they need at least 30 days or so under bright lights with good balanced nutrition. Just cover them all in pollen, not much weed only tons of seeds! :woohoo:

xet

:bump:

Any more suggestions or things to look out for when considering the best time to pollinate for maximum seed yield? Pollinate not once but several times over a few days for example? Or just once?