What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is the scoop with sm-90?

rootfingers

00420 said:
sm-90 took out my gnat prob..... rootfingers maybe you just did not use enuff?

Didn't use enough?

Maybe.

I did a 5 to 1 mix (water to sm-90) spray six times over a four week period and did 5ml per gallon in my rez. I burned through a gln that cost me $65 in that time period. After I sprayed, if I looked closely I could see agitated larva come to the surface but they didn't seem too worried and they certainly weren't dying. The same (didn't tag them so not totally conclusive about them being the same, lol) larva would be hanging out hours and days later.

Now it could have to do with the gestation and life cycles of the gnats but I hit them with a strong spray once a day for three consecutive days and once a week following, and that should have interrupted those. I think the main reason that the sm-90 didn't work for me is because I am in coco. Not that you don't already know this, but in coco you have a top surface that never dries, it is always very moist. The larva seem to thrive if given a moist area close to the surface of a dense media. My mothers are hardly touched at all and they are in a peat based mix that I let get real dry between waterings.

From my own experience I can only conclude that sm-90 has less to do with getting rid of fungus gnats in coco than the fact that the surface is constantly moist.

If you don't mind me asking, what media were you using when the sm-90 worked?

Last edited:

whodi

Veteran
rootfingers said:
Didn't use enough?

Maybe.

I did a 5 to 1 mix (water to sm-90) spray six times over a four week period and did 5ml per gallon in my rez. I burned through a gln that cost me $65 in that time period. After I sprayed, if I looked closely I could see agitated larva come to the surface but they didn't seem too worried and they certainly weren't dying. The same (didn't tag them so not totally conclusive about them being the same, lol) larva would be hanging out hours and days later.

Now it could have to do with the gestation and life cycles of the gnats but I hit them with a strong spray once a day for three consecutive days and once a week following, and that should have interrupted those. I think the main reason that the sm-90 didn't work for me is because I am in coco. Not that you don't already know this, but in coco you have a top surface that never dries, it is always very moist. The larva seem to thrive if given a moist area close to the surface of a dense media. My mothers are hardly touched at all and they are in a peat based mix that I let get real dry between waterings.

From my own experience I can only conclude that sm-90 has less to do with getting rid of fungus gnats in coco than the fact that the surface is constantly moist.

What about adding a top layer of hydroton rocks on top of the coco, fingers? Seems like I read that helps control gnats.. I may try it myself.

D

dongle69

00420 said:
dongle69 i call BS on who told you this as well... i will call monday too find out my self

Not sure why they would find it beneficial to lie to me, but please let us know what they have to say to you...

full time daddy
Veteran
rootfingers said:

perlite

i have never used coco and will be trying soon... but my perlite was wet at the top as well maybe i just got lucky? i have not had a prob after that crop do to moving they seem to not like where i live now i have not seen one... thank god......

dongle69 said:
Not sure why they would find it beneficial to lie to me, but please let us know what they have to say to you...
got me bud.... i know for a fact it wipes out PM and other root bacterial pathogens i dont see how it can keep the good one's........ this is why i bought it was to wipe out the bacteria that the gnats where breeding in and like i said it killed them off to i was happy as shit..... all make sure i post whats said to me cuz im gonna hound them about killing pathogens but not benny's i just dont see it...

whodi said:
What about adding a top layer of hydroton rocks on top of the coco, fingers? Seems like I read that helps control gnats.. I may try it myself.
try it but i have had gnats breed in hydroton as well.... in fact it gives them a "safe" layer to there breeding grounds...

forty

rootfingers said:
Having had a serious fungus gnat problem for the past couple grows I have looked into all sorts of ways to get rid of them. They are near impossible to eradicate

i'm in coco... gnats love the shit. try smashing up skeeter dunks til they're like sand and spreading it on top of your pots. that's been probably the most effective thing so far here.... works better then gnatrol and sm90 for me. co2 at a consistent 1500 keeps them in check too but no so practical.

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
I have used sm 90 for a few years now

I got it when I was battling a powdery mildew issue, which it did the trick. My guy at the hydro store said it is mainly a wetting agent, but as a foliar spray the sulphur content will get rid of spider mites as well. (knock on wood) I have yet to have a spider mite problem, but I can give it a thumbs up on powdery mildew control.

I do kind of like the smell as well

rootfingers

I love the smell too! Good input on the powdery mildew info.

forty, Ima try that dunk application, ty. :joint:

Last edited:

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dongle69 said:
You should call them and get the data before you shit on them in public...

dongle69 said:

You know, it really helps to read the post you're responding to....

I consistently use and recommend SM-90.
It's in their interest to tell you that SM-90 gets you more and better pussy if it'll sell more of their product. Was I not clear enough about that before? My bad.:bashhead:

rootfingers: is the gnatrol you're using liquid or powder? the powder works much better. also, reducing or eliminating nutrient while applying gnatrol can be helpful.
as far as an excellent topdressing for prevention, try diatomaceous earth and let the top dry out a little inbetween water/feedings.

D

dongle69

00420 said:
all make sure i post whats said to me cuz im gonna hound them about killing pathogens but not benny's i just dont see it...

So what did you find out when you called?

D

dongle69

humble1 said:
It's in their interest to tell you that SM-90 gets you more and better pussy if it'll sell more of their product.

It is not in their interest at all to lie to customers if they want to keep them as customers.
I don't think there is any conspiracy going on at Nutrilife.
Still waiting to hear what 00420 has to say about his phone call to them.
Did you do any research yourself?

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dongle69 said:
Did you do any research yourself?

I'm still waiting for a copy of the "research" YOU obtained from Nutrilife.
Wait, you just took their word..... on the phone.
Probably from a receptionist.

That's why I keep checking this thread. A study, some raw data, anything.... instead I get hearsay. Not admissible in court for a reason.

The product works great for all the reasons previously mentioned. It's just not a magic bullet that allows beneficials to thrive while pathogens are eliminated. Believe it if you want to, you probably won't be harming your plants.... just wasting money on beneficials that you kill with every app of SM-90. :violin:

full time daddy
Veteran
k so i got in depth convo with nutrilife's owner (kelly) what he said is all the place that put that sm-90 wipe's out your beneficial is do to the fact that it wipes out other biological Pathogen in infact DOSE NOT kill any beneficial micro-biological organisms. it has been tested on Bio-Cat ( nutrilife benny's )

Bio-Cat has been scientifically formulated to provide all the essential ingredients and live cultures to support the rapid growth of over 47 different beneficial micro-biological organisms.

it was all so tested on B'cuzz,Botanicare & earth juice

he all so said he would test it with any new beneficial that have come out if i wanted him to....as far as why it kills Pathogen & not benny's he said he cant answer that the PHD that made it for him is now dead.

D

dongle69

Cool.
They are good people.
All them internet rumors suck as usual...
humble1 still won't believe it, though. :bashhead:

Last edited:
D

DEDHEDFRED

I`ve used GH 3 part with silicablast and SM-90 as the only 2 additives I`ve used for almost a decade.........Silicablast for stem strength and SM-90 fo root rot and total bug control with excellent results to date........

Got turned onto it during my krusty bucket yrs. to kill root rot but got the bonus of it`s being systemic and not allowing any bugs to colonize in the rootzone .........

Forty brings out the reason for mosquito dunk useage if you aren`t vigilant with SM-90..........

Tell us more about Bio-Cat 00420 so I won`t feel like I`m taking away from my grows by using SM-90 for so long..........

Take care...........DHF............ :joint: ..........

full time daddy
Veteran
I don't know Shit about it homie.... Other then it's made by the same phd that made sm-90 I just ordered a bottel all let u know how it rolls

U

ureapwhatusow

please tell me more about bio-cat

how do you pruhase it and how do you apply it

InjectTruth

00420 said:
Root Disease: SM-90 inhibits common anaerobic fungal and bacterial pathogens.

I believe this may explain why SM-90 can simultaneously kill pathogens while not harming bennies. The bennies are aerobic while the pathogens are anaerobic.

D

dongle69

InjectTruth said:
I believe this may explain why SM-90 can simultaneously kill pathogens while not harming bennies. The bennies are aerobic while the pathogens are anaerobic.

True dat.