What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is QWISO better than BUBBLE or BHO?

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
In my opinion, yes! I've made pounds of bubble hash in my life, and pounds of QWISO oil. I've also made lots of kief with different screens and methods, and several of my friends make BHO monthly.

Every hash method has its strengths and weaknesses, but I think QWISO has more pluses than minuses:

QWISO Pros:

Easy to make large batches
No special equipment needed
Solvent is cheaper than butane (I use denatured alcohol)
Yields are better than other methods
End product is purer than most hash methods
The oil can be "repaired" if contaminated or spilled
Oil is ready to use as soon as its purged
Hard to screw up a batch

(not sure of this one) Someone on IC told me alcohols dissolve cannabinoids other than delta-9 THC better than BHO.

QWISO Cons:

Oil is tough to handle (similar to BHO) and package
Fumes from solvent
Must buy solvent
End product must be purged carefully

Like I said, I've made lots of bubble in my growing career, so here's my take on it:

Bubble Pros:

No solvent needed (no fumes)
End product sticks together nicely from all the plant waxes and vegetation in it
End product weighs more due to non-psychotropic contaminants (for those selling bubble hash)
Hard to screw up a batch

Bubble cons:

Expensive bags are needed
Lots of ice needed and a fresh supply of water
Labor intensive to do all the mixing (unless using a machine or Ice-O-lator)
End product is NOT pure THC/cannabinoids (anything that is the right particle size ends up in end product)
Product must be dried carefully to avoid mold
End product cannot be repaired if it gets contaminated
End product needs to be pressed into blocks

BHO Pros:

Light-colored end product has good commercial appeal
Ready to smoke as soon as its purged

BHO Cons:

Requires expensive pure butane, sometimes lots of it (cases.)
Must be made outside (fumes from solvent)
Can only be made in small batches
End product is not typically filtered to remove contaminants
End product must be purged carefully
Yields are lower than bubble or QWISO
Easy to screw up and ruin a batch
End product cannot be repaired if contaminated

(not sure of this one) Someone on IC told me alcohols dissolve cannabinoids other than delta-9 THC better than BHO.

So that's my take folks, let the arguments begin! :)

Hmm the only time I had hard to handle QWISO was when I fucked up an extraction and made some runny black shit. Every other time it has been pretty much a solid which is mold-able. Also to me the biggest pro of BHO/bubble is taste. Some hashes have an incredibly complex taste and whenever I make QWISO it either ranges from mildly harsh (using crap material) to smooth (not exactly good tasting rather the smoke is just a hell of a lot easier on the throat).

About denatured alcohol, wasn't there a shitstorm a couple months ago pertaining to its use? Was any conclusion reached as to whether it is safe to use? Just asking cause in that thread a lot of big names were vilifying the OP for using it and selling it to a dispensary. Now I see a lot of threads popping up and nobody decries the peeps for using it as a solvent. Not my intention to take this thread off topic just curious.

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
You forgot one of the QWISO pros, you can snort it like cocaine for a new and interesting buzz. I prefer the taste and smell of bubble but QWISO it is just SO much easier to make. My crop got seeded because I am a ra tard and consequently I will be making lots of hash this round and I plan to do bubble and QWISO, any suggestions for doing large batches of QWISO?

If you want quality, go with BHO. If you are looking for quantity, try any other method. Imo BHO is the best tasting/smelling as well as the most potent. Those are the qualities that matter to me.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Strength and flavor were a couple issues I didn't mention, thinking they were so subjective as to be hard to debate. My oil both tastes very good (i use a vaporizer) and is extremely potent, 2 hits are good for several hours. 4 hits knocks me on my ass.

Denatured alcohol (comprised of ethanol alcohol, methanol, and a small amount of stones) all evaporate around 200*f. I bake my oils in an oven to purge it. When finished its soft as room temps, but Grey Wolf tells methat I can freeze the alcohol solution to precipitate out more solubilized plant waxes, which I imagine will harden the end product further. here's a pic of a recent batch:

B

bottletoke

You forgot one of the QWISO pros, you can snort it like cocaine for a new and interesting buzz. I prefer the taste and smell of bubble but QWISO it is just SO much easier to make. My crop got seeded because I am a ra tard and consequently I will be making lots of hash this round and I plan to do bubble and QWISO, any suggestions for doing large batches of QWISO?

No way, can you actually snort Qwiso like cocaine? this is very very interesting. I would think because its not water soluble it would not get absorbed in your nose. Anyone have any thoughts?

teemu shalanie

WeeDGamE StannisBaratheoN
Veteran
bho is most pure /potent form of extract I ever made , however I enjoy smoking bubble during the day and saving the bho for night time, cause its a lil heavier , never been a huge fan of iso made oil ?,
peace TS

any ideas what i could do with qwiso that was made with moldy buds? i thought it would ok but after a hit of it i thought my lungs were shutting down. had some of the worst lung pain and discomfort in my life =\

i dissolved it back into some alcohol, reheated and purged it again in an attempt to wash it, but once again it destroyed my lungs. i guess i could make edibles but i really prefer smoking.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Who makes the best car, GM or Ford? Can we all at least all agree on that?????????

From my own perspective, it is all good, just all different and with its own pros and cons.

I extract both bubble and dry sieve, as well as do extractions with butane, hexane, iso, ethyl, and methanol. For my own personal daily oral meds, I use butane or ethyl and for my topical I use denatured or iso.

When I’ve used ISO for oral, I re-cooked it in ethyl alcohol before ingesting, to more completely purge the ISO. Just vaporizing it, I didn’t bother, but can tell the flavor difference between ISO oil and Ethyl oil, as well as differences in effect.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
any ideas what i could do with qwiso that was made with moldy buds? i thought it would ok but after a hit of it i thought my lungs were shutting down. had some of the worst lung pain and discomfort in my life =\

i dissolved it back into some alcohol, reheated and purged it again in an attempt to wash it, but once again it destroyed my lungs. i guess i could make edibles but i really prefer smoking.

Depends on what kind of mold bro! If it was Bud rot or powdery mildew, you can just filter out the smell and taste by running it through a 0.2 micron syringe filter while still in alcohol solution.

If it is aspergillus, it may contain deadly aflatoxins and I have no suggestions other than bite the bullet and pitch it.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was under the impression that they use MEK(Methyl Ethyl Ketone) to Denature the alcohol.

Usually they denature ethanol with methanol and methyl isobutyl ketone. There is no standard, so if you use denatured alcohol in your process, you owe it to yourself to pull that specific manufacturer's MSDS to see exactly what they do put in it.

R

rick shaw

Sometimes. Denatured refers to ethyl alcohol with additional chemicals specifically added to make it undrinkable.This makes denatured alcohol tax free.Others are isopropyl,acetone,methyl ethyl ketone,methel isobutyl ketone,denatonium.Those colored bottles are dyed with aniline.I used to love BHO,until I studied organic chemestry.Bubble for me.

B

bottletoke

Ive been debating this amongst myself for the longest while. I prefer bubblehash over iso/bho. When made properly they are of similar potency, but i think bubble just has slightly superior flavour.

although the high from ISO/BHO is so dreamy.... as is the high from bubble.

I wouldent pick one over another, i just want both!

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
So if we consider the potency to be roughly the same for all three types of hash, why wouldn't you pick the one with the best yield, easiest to make, and lowest cost of production?

I know I'm a bit biased on this, but it comes from experience.

E

el dub

MY yields on BHO were never very good.

I like 90% alcohol and glass jars of flowers in freezer at least overnight. Mix, shake and strain to coffee filter in under a minute and a half. Place pyrex on heating pad under exhaust vent until ALL alcohol is gone (can tell by smell). Then continue to dry until desired consistency is reached. (Not runny.) Keep out of direct sunlight.

A second, more leisurely run can also be done on the plant material in question.

lw

dingbat

you should only let the alchohol contact the plant material for 15-30 seconds before filtering for a quality final product.