What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CLS Build Out Advice - Thank You!

PeltierHTX

IC Fam! Finally got my hands on some pro extraction components and a 20lb tank of butane (pics and COA snippet below)!! I'm wanting to build this system out in phases; starting budget conscious for safe DIY, and then upgrading with the end goal to be mining diamonds.

I currently plan to run 62% cured (unless advised otheriwse), market material (haven't determined solid or to grind yet) with butane and step up to dub and trip blends having access to the gas now with fresh frozen in a year or so.

I've been doing old-school open blast forever, took a hiatus and only have what you're seeing in the photos starting out this new build. Having researched and gotten overwhelmed by the options, I wanted to reach out to the community for advice on doing this right the first time, with the ability to upgrade over time.

Thanks y'all!

picture.php

View image in gallery

picture.php

View image in gallery

picture.php

View image in gallery

picture.php

View image in gallery

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would suggest replacing the tapered transition piece with a 1 1/2 X 24 jacketed column.

Do you have your hoses and propane valve tank adaptor yet?

You will need a barrel/pot/?? for hot bath and one for cold.

So you have access to dry ice or will you use regular ice?

PeltierHTX

@gray_wolf - thanks for the reply. I'm building it out, and only current accessory is the tank adapter converting to 1/4 Male.

Love the jacketed column idea, and do have access to dry ice, but will need pots and vacuum(s?).

Your link is crazy valuable, and will read through the articles in addition to combing through here as I research my perfect build out - thank you. Starting with about $1k to finish this first stage of the system.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@gray_wolf - thanks for the reply. I'm building it out, and only current accessory is the tank adapter converting to 1/4 Male.

Love the jacketed column idea, and do have access to dry ice, but will need pots and vacuum(s?).

Your link is crazy valuable, and will read through the articles in addition to combing through here as I research my perfect build out - thank you. Starting with about $1k to finish this first stage of the system.

You will need at least a vacuum pump, but have a choice of active or passive for recovery.

PeltierHTX

Thanks @Gray_Wolf

Thanks @Gray_Wolf

Wanted to send props to @Gray_Wolf for all of the information he's put together, and to the IC community for the tons of material to search through.

I have my first upgrade list / replacements for passive recovery on my CLS, and would appreciate any recommendations, going top down;

-Same single inlet at top, future upgrade to allow vent for bottom flood
-Reducing from 3" to 1.5" ball sprayer
-1.5" x 12" Sleeved Column (running Dry ice) - upgrade will be to jacketed when liq nitrogen comes down the line
-1.5" inline filter kit (150 and 100 micron stack)
-1.5" ball valve (vacuum system, shut ball valve, use vac in mat column to allow soak from top fill, open ball valve to pull to collection base vac for blast)
-4CFM, 2 stage vac pump (is 2 stage worth it?)
-Standard 30# LP recovery tank (will upgrade to stainless as system grows)

Will do passive recovery using immersion heater in water in 5 GAL bucket hooked to thermocontroller at 85-90F. Solvent tank (running pure butane for now, will perform distillation prior to extraction) will be left in bucket of dry ice and denatured alcohol through entire process, but big question is if vacuum will be enough to perform the above? Or do I need to get a little nitrous tank to help push (comfortable with this, but figured system was small enough it wasn't necessary).

Purge will be in 3 GAL vacuum chamber on 10" heat pad and considering buying the heating jacket as well (as I no longer have ANY purge equipment) at 95F and climb to 115F (max, if needed) depending on reaction. Do ya'll think this is worth it? Will use non-stick pan lining paper to collect oleores from CB and purge off in standard vac chamber with heat pads.

Thanks all - and looking forward to hearing recommendations and sharing progress on getting this CLS up and running! :friends:

Latest posts

Latest posts