What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GMT goes LED. TSL2000 Mars Hydro

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice one GMT,,
Very interested in the temps through this one and how it might equate to an LED that throws out 600w,,,,
Onwards and upwards Green Manalishi ,,,s2

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
The reflector is more of a heat sink really, so you want it large and thin to distribute heat evenly.

Its been warmer today, I ran the fan for an hour in the afternoon. Not because I really needed to, just felt I should.

If I was to do a room and money was no object, I think, with no experience of running rooms, I'd want as many different frequencies and spectrums as possible. So 1k HPS hanging vertically in the centre, and a tsl2k hanging with an sp250 a foot over from it for each 600w HPS being replaced. But I haven't seen the flower power of these yet. So that room may rock or suck at this point.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
Warmer still today, and now I am starting to notice some heating to the room the cab is in. I'd say roughly 5 c above ambient, and the cab itself a tad more. Just turned the fan on to exchange air in the room. In an hour I'll turn the fan to the cab to force more airflow through there. The light is about 5 hours into daylight though, so it takes time.
I'll photo some diff plants tomorrow as I repot clone and move them in.
Just had to behead an ecsdxsssdh which had been grown for the corner spot to be side lit by HPS. Of course that's not gonna happen now, so did my queen of hearts impression.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
OK, while raiding the fridge, at the back I realised I had a fridge thermometer. Not the best, but it'll do. I hung it over the light and tried to get a reading after half an hour, half an hour before lights out. I couldn't get the right angle to take a reading, but this is where it hung.
picture.php

I turned it to the camera and got this reading
picture.php

Then took it out of the cab, and left it in the room for 10 mins and got this reading
picture.php

I then took it two rooms away and got this reading 10 mins after that.
picture.php

So there you have semi accurate info on ambient to cab temps after 12 hours of operation with about 2 hours of fan operating half way through the lighting cycle. Hope that helps someone.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
Now plants
Lanky ecsd x sssdh, as I said, the style is inappropriate for my grow space now, but I didn't know mars would send me the led when the decision was made, so bare with me on this
picture.php

Next up, the last run of this clone, I refer to it is H.K.P. But that won't mean anything to anyone, I'm only telling you so you can track it through later photos.
picture.php

This one is a ndnguys G13HP x G.Glue. (thanks to the guy who sent me these, stop by and say hi if you like).
picture.php

Next up is another of mine, for reference, my Hamlet clone, again the name is so you can track it, (named due to being seed 2B out of a batch).
picture.php

That plant is my long term keeper and the most important in the stable. More to come, but these are the only ones enjoying the led at the mo. So what would be the point in introducing anyone else?

Well apart from the 2 gelato 45s that I've introduced already

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for sharing GMT,
Just trying do my man maths and please correct me if I am wrong ,,,
If the l temps for 12hours were 25,,that equates to around 78-80 deg FH ? ,,,s2

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
Remember, inside the cab, the thermometer was above the light, which I figured was important, as its going to be the hottest measurement. I should have measured beneath the light too. Ah well, something to do tonight now :)
Here's a little helping hand with those maths

picture.php

Above the light after 12 hours 89f. Yeah too hot for the plants, but then they are below not 4 inches above, I'll get the useful temp later. Just wanted to show the max diff between ambient and hot point.

Starmstr

I'll get some temp differences tonight. I'm pretty sure it will be less. At the bulb reflector temps to the back of the hand are the same. But the 400 has a remote ballast. I'm thinking the heat variance will be directly related to the ballast on the LED. Apples to apples both remote the led will win.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
Yeah, the other thing I was thinking about is that the cooler the ambient the greater the passive cooling, so the greater the heat increase will be the hotter the day gets. I suppose that's when I'll have to turn the fan on for a few more hours a day.
Remote drivers are deffo an advantage.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Il need a couple of days to look at this properly,,, they couldn't have given it to a more deserved person

Starmstr

The reflector is more of a heat sink really, so you want it large and thin to distribute heat evenly.

Its been warmer today, I ran the fan for an hour in the afternoon. Not because I really needed to, just felt I should.

If I was to do a room and money was no object, I think, with no experience of running rooms, I'd want as many different frequencies and spectrums as possible. So 1k HPS hanging vertically in the centre, and a tsl2k hanging with an sp250 a foot over from it for each 600w HPS being replaced. But I haven't seen the flower power of these yet. So that room may rock or suck at this point.
Quit tellin secrets. I'm ditching the superblue 400 for 2 sp250 and yea I'd love to have one each side of my DE1k

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
Lol.
With a very slight difference in spectrums, would you not be better combining an sp with a ts?
I am very curious which would run cooler, 1 driver on 50w less power or 2 drivers with the extra boost. I'll admit that the SP is a much better looking unit, and 2 of them side by side would clearly take less room than 2 TS units, but I could easily fit 2 TS units in my space, ( roughly 2 x 4, slightly more) though at that point the required cooling would defeat the purpose of going LED for me.
Thanks Rick.
If anyone wants to tag, welcome, any qs I'm happy to try to answer.

G

Now plants
Lanky ecsd x sssdh, as I said, the style is inappropriate for my grow space now, but I didn't know mars would send me the led when the decision was made, so bare with me on this
View Image
Next up, the last run of this clone, I refer to it is H.K.P. But that won't mean anything to anyone, I'm only telling you so you can track it through later photos.
View Image
This one is a ndnguys G13HP x G.Glue. (thanks to the guy who sent me these, stop by and say hi if you like).
View Image
Next up is another of mine, for reference, my Hamlet clone, again the name is so you can track it, (named due to being seed 2B out of a batch).
View Image
That plant is my long term keeper and the most important in the stable. More to come, but these are the only ones enjoying the led at the mo. So what would be the point in introducing anyone else?

Well apart from the 2 gelato 45s that I've introduced already

Nice one mate looks real nice.:tiphat:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
The doctor is in, good to see ya doc.
And a big good morning to our sponsor, Mars Hydro.

Now yes I know this is out of focus, and yes I know I need to wash the splashes off the back wall, give me a break, I'm only showing the development of colour in this photo, but hey hey the cooler temps are helping
picture.php

That's the gelato purpling up.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
picture.php

Just tracking the development.
Showing deficiencies, but I don't know if its normal or due to increased demands, can't wait to run a clone I know so I can say for sure.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
Snap of the HKP
picture.php

Hamlet gate crashing the light, this is not officially in yet
picture.php

One of the Glue x (G13xHP) which is only in while its sexing, and will be taken back out once I know. Its not in, in the pic, but was taken out for the pic and put back in after repotting.

picture.php

The completely unfed Gelato 45, which deffo should have been fed (ah, I may need to abandon lazy growing with the led, it seems its a bit of a slave driver this light.)
picture.php

picture.php