What's new

Using honey instead of molasses in AACT

SeasOfCheese

I've heard of using honey instead of molasses in a tea? Very simple tea, Castings, alaskan humus, kelp, alfalfa, MO/Honey.

Thoughts?

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
Using Honey As a Carbohydrate in Cannabis Cultivation Applied in both soil and soil-less gardens, honey can be used as a natural carbohydrate in organic gardening. This ancient simple sugar source easily breaks down into a usable form to feed and support the growth of micro-flora (beneficial bacteria, fungi, etc.) and helps them to flourish. This, in turn, increases the plant's vitality and vigor, as the micro-herd is essential in allowing the plant to uptake and process nutrients in usable forms. Stressed plants may be returned to a stronger, more stable state and those on the verge may be brought back, preventing heavy stress from occurring. -

See more at: http://www.cannabis.info/us/abc/300...nnabis-plants-with-honey#sthash.y2j3MfvG.dpuf

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Two things stand out. One, honey is a nematicide and effects larvae/egg laying at very low concentrations. Two, also very antimicrobial. As far as I know no one has tested the effects on microbial growth in tea. The natural peroxide is probably countered by compost/castings in the same way chlorine is but other compounds may be persistent. Last bit is speculation, but I recall there was more to the antimicrobial effect than just peroxide.

The most obvious difference is the price. I very much doubt using honey will give observable negative results. Maybe wise not to use if employing beneficial nematodes, but who knows what effect it would have after brewing.

Perhaps we can tempt MM into running an experiment someday. I've got a whole wack of additives I'm curious about ;)

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
consider...
coconut water,milk, shavings
maple syrup
agave syrup
aloe juice
cane sugar pulp/stalks
yucca root

all other sources of sugary carbs...

Granger2

Veteran
Mikel,
The only thing that sticks out to me is Agave which has saponins, and my one and last experience with it in an ACT was extensive mopping up of I Love Lucy level of foaming, overflowing all over the place.

I mainly use organic MO, Extra Dark Barley Malt pwd, and Sucanat. I really like [plants like] 50-50 MO and Malt. I tried Honey once [too expensive], and the tea seemed to be appreciated. Good luck all. -granger

theHIGHlander

european ganja growers
Veteran
Molasses is more of a raw form..grandmas molasses...

If you can look at the list of ingredients on the back of a jar of grandmas molasses...and look at the back of a jar of honey you will se a lot if the goodness if left out of the honey

The purer the molasses the better ...horses eat molasses in the feed..if you can get you hands on some of that your onto a winner.....

Keep it green
Highlander

Cbytheriver

I'm under the impression that feed grade molasses has preservatives and sulfur dioxide or variations that destroy most bacteria and fungal development. This wouldn't be good for organics, and probably dirt farming in general.