What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Creating seeds from auto flower?

Hope someone can answer this question. I have an auto AK-47 just started. My second grow ever.

Can I use the colloidal silver technique on a section of this plant to create new female seeds and will they also be autos?

Thanks

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
You may and they may as well :) .
The 'auto' trait inheritance depends a bit on the parent line used but is recessive most of the time, i.e. your S1 should also be autoflowering. 'Worst' case, just some are whilst others aren't but you'll see that pretty fast, don't you think?

Was not sure it was even possible to get seeds to appear from a "modified" plant. I'd settle for regular seeds if that's what I end up with. Still cheaper and safer than buying them.

Thanks for the reply. It's worth a try, then.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The quick easy answer is yes & yes.

Once you have an autoflowering plant the autoflowering genes are locked in. As long as it is crossed w pure autoflowering varieties the auto trait will not disappear.

Unless you are running 24hrs of light a semi autoflowering plant could slip through the cracks & give you photoperiod sensitive plants.

The only sure way to know you have a true autoflowering plant is to run it under a 24hr lighting schedule.

DenverJim

so do you define an greenthumbs iran as a true auto. I grew it a few years ago put two outside in an open bed on april 1. not intentially. at any rate they came up and just sat there then started growing by may there was a hail storm which mangeled one it recovered into a multi branched plant harvied late sept yielded a lot more than the other nontopped one. I had another in a shaded location just to see how it would do not well at all. Seems that some are only half auto. I think nirvana advertised their autos were two weeks faster than regulars but this was ~ '10 I grew out some freebees at the time and was not impressed. I have some or reefermans indica gigantitus I may run outside this year. Need educated first.