Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > Lime or not?

Thread Title Search
Lime or not? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2019, 12:22 AM #1
stewart169

stewart169 is a name known to allstewart169 is a name known to allstewart169 is a name known to allstewart169 is a name known to allstewart169 is a name known to allstewart169 is a name known to allstewart169 is a name known to allstewart169 is a name known to allstewart169 is a name known to allstewart169 is a name known to allstewart169 is a name known to all
Lime or not?

Are folks trending away from using lime in soil mixes? Using less or in conjunction with something else ?
stewart169 is online now Quote

Old 04-12-2019, 02:14 AM #2
f-e

f-e has disabled reputation
For pH or Mg.
f-e is offline Quote

Old 04-12-2019, 03:42 AM #3
stewart169

stewart169 is a name known to allstewart169 is a name known to allstewart169 is a name known to allstewart169 is a name known to allstewart169 is a name known to allstewart169 is a name known to allstewart169 is a name known to allstewart169 is a name known to allstewart169 is a name known to allstewart169 is a name known to allstewart169 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by f-e View Post
For pH or Mg.
Mostly for the Mg I would guess.
stewart169 is online now Quote

Old 04-12-2019, 06:07 AM #4
slownickel
IC Mag Supporter

slownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud of
You need to buffer with hi Ca lime unless you are in a very loose mix. Then go half lime and half dolomite.
I WONDER WHAT WOULD HAPPEN
TO THIS WORLD

-Harry Forster Chapins' Tombstone
slownickel is offline Quote

Old 04-12-2019, 08:14 AM #5
stewart169

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownickel View Post
You need to buffer with hi Ca lime unless you are in a very loose mix. Then go half lime and half dolomite.

Im have and I already used less than recomended generic dolomite lime this time and added solution grade gypsum powder by the cup plus per CF of base soil. The base soil is bagged and has some lime in it per their advertising. I dont want to add too much lime. Its a new mix recommended with lime but I am not sure if I should add as much the mix calls for. I have no way for sure of knowing but Im leery of adding to much Mg. Of course I could be off my rocker and completely wrong.

Im no expert but I always am leery of adding to much lime but not of adding a lot of gypsum.

Im using a variation of it now for the first time for some plants in small bags starting flower and they do look fine. I added about half the dolomite lime recommended plus gypsum at twice the level recommended for dolomite lime.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:39 PM #6
hillbil

hillbil will become famous soon enough
Don’t worry too much about dolomite getting PH out of line and using half powdered limestone and half dolomite has worked well on this hill. Soft rock phosphate has P plus it has calcium and 50% liming value as limestone. Other minerals also.
hillbil is offline Quote

Old 04-14-2019, 04:20 PM #7
h.h.

h.h. is a name known to allh.h. is a name known to allh.h. is a name known to allh.h. is a name known to allh.h. is a name known to allh.h. is a name known to allh.h. is a name known to allh.h. is a name known to allh.h. is a name known to allh.h. is a name known to allh.h. is a name known to all
Too much gypsum will help turn your soil into different consistancies of wallboard.
While you're minding the chemical aspects, the physical qualities will sneak up and bite ya.

Quote:
it’s mighty sad when average health has declined to the point that people become fatally ill from exposure to a little animal shit.
Solomon, Steve; Reinheimer, Erica (2012-12-04). The Intelligent Gardener: Growing Nutrient Dense Food (p. 271). New Society Publishers. Kindle Edition.
h.h. is offline Quote

Old 04-14-2019, 04:21 PM #8
thailer

thailer is a glorious beacon of lightthailer is a glorious beacon of lightthailer is a glorious beacon of lightthailer is a glorious beacon of lightthailer is a glorious beacon of lightthailer is a glorious beacon of lightthailer is a glorious beacon of lightthailer is a glorious beacon of lightthailer is a glorious beacon of lightthailer is a glorious beacon of lightthailer is a glorious beacon of light
they used to sell a peat moss that didn't have lime in it long ago at home depot but now all they carry are bales of sunshine mix which says it has lime added. i've wondered if this amount was significant enough that i should adjust the one cup per cubic foot caco3 that i use too.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:37 PM #9
40degsouth

40degsouth has a spectacular aura about40degsouth has a spectacular aura about40degsouth has a spectacular aura about
Hey Stuart,
I don't think you've said what sort of soil you've got to start with, unless I've missed something, or even if you're indoor or outdoor??
I remember Tom Hill said he would take calcium over magnesium if this helps??
Cheers 40
40degsouth is offline Quote

Old 04-15-2019, 05:55 PM #10
stewart169

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40degsouth View Post
Hey Stuart,
I don't think you've said what sort of soil you've got to start with, unless I've missed something, or even if you're indoor or outdoor??
I remember Tom Hill said he would take calcium over magnesium if this helps??
Cheers 40
Coast of Maine Growers mix for this batch. Looks like great soil. First time using it. I also just picked up several bags of the soil builder I will be using in the near future.