Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > General Gardening > We grow vegetable gardens too! Post your Garden pics here

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
We grow vegetable gardens too! Post your Garden pics here Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-14-2019, 08:27 PM #801
Rico Swazi

Rico Swazi has a spectacular aura aboutRico Swazi has a spectacular aura aboutRico Swazi has a spectacular aura aboutRico Swazi has a spectacular aura aboutRico Swazi has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by exploziv View Post
From what I remember I am growing Connovers Colossal and Precoce D'Argentuil.
Also, use gloves and don't breathe the fine dust when working with those berries. Dried or not, you should limit exposure. And for sure don't eat any part of the plant other than the young spikes.
Nice. You can find them here in the stores (for a hefty price) but no one i know is growing them at this time. Do you prefer the collosal or Precoce?

just going by what I've read about berries, the toxicity may be overrated?
Quote:
Asparagus is a poisonous plant!
But don’t worry; it’s not the asparagus itself; only the red berries of the asparagus leaves are slightly toxic.
The berries contain several furostanol and spirostanol glycosides and the seeds the chemically not examined bitter substance spargine. Sulfur compounds have been detected in the shoot parts, which are considered partly responsible for the sometimes occurring skin reactions.
After the intake of larger amounts (more than 5-7) of the ripe berries, people have been diagnosed with vomiting and abdominal pain. After the peeling of asparagus or getting in contact with the plant, predisposed people may suffer from allergic reactions and an inflammation of skin, eyes, and allergic rhinitis. Some asthmatic attacks are recorded.
After the eating of smaller amounts of these berries, people should drink sufficient water or tee. When more than 7 berries have been eaten, one may consider administering charcoal tablets. Primary removal of toxins is recommended only after the intake of much larger amounts.

https://www.asparagus-friends.com/poisonous-asparagus/

another here on berries

https://www.garden.eco/asparagus-berries
Rico Swazi is offline Quote

Old 04-14-2019, 08:50 PM #802
exploziv
pure dynamite

exploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivor
To be honest I never harvested the strains one by one, I always go and take what's ready and mix them. By sight alone I would say CC has more thicker stems and looks a bit better with more purple tint on it.
As about the berries, i said it can't be that dangerous at first, but I found out I can feel them burn my skin when handling (after a while) and thats enaugh for me to start wearing gloves, avoid cross contamination of stuff around me and breathing the dust. I may have some kind of sensitivity, but since they are known to be toxic it can't hurt for you or everyone handling those berries to wear some gloves.

If the whole world smoked a joint at the same time, there would be world peace for at least two hours. Followed by a global food shortage.
exploziv is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:50 PM #803
Rico Swazi

Rico Swazi has a spectacular aura aboutRico Swazi has a spectacular aura aboutRico Swazi has a spectacular aura aboutRico Swazi has a spectacular aura aboutRico Swazi has a spectacular aura about
Got a pic of yours? Wasn't raining too hard a few minutes ago so went out and took another pic. The purple color is amazing on the aptly named Purple Passion in the second pic., don't you think? The Jersey giants are ready to be considered food and tonight just might be the night.

I agree on the berries for folks to err on the side of caution especially those with sensitive skin allergies.

would love to see the colors of your asparagus bed and thanks for the discussion
off topic -

one thing I noticed is my posts are always double spaced

why is that? is there something I can change on the control panel?
if I don't go back and edit, it looks like this text below the pics

TIA
Rico Swazi is offline Quote

Old 04-16-2019, 12:46 AM #804
sirius02

sirius02 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosynthesis View Post
Hello fellow IC magers!

Besides growing Ganja for the winter months a lot of us put our gardening skills to use growing food for the table as well. Every year I look forward to putting in a garden. Last year was a great grow season with bumper harvests. Weather carrots, corn or ganga, horticulture is in my blood. To preserve put away and grow your own food is very rewarding and healthy. The vegetable garden always gets just as much attention if not more than the ganga and just as rewarding. Feel free to show off your edibles here.

EDIT: Thanks for all the positive vibes from everyone who has visited and contributed to this thread! Starting this thread I was going to keep it to just the vegetable gardening, but ended up including fruits, animals & even the bounty from a fishing trip! So I encourage people to share their ideas and experiences. As long as it is earthy and fun, please share it! Here are pictures of 2012 gardens. 2013 gardens start kicking off good on page 13. Thanks for joining in, and have fun!!!

View Image View Image
Beautiful garden !!
sirius02 is offline Quote

Old 04-16-2019, 01:01 AM #805
big315smooth

big315smooth has much to be proud ofbig315smooth has much to be proud ofbig315smooth has much to be proud ofbig315smooth has much to be proud ofbig315smooth has much to be proud ofbig315smooth has much to be proud ofbig315smooth has much to be proud ofbig315smooth has much to be proud ofbig315smooth has much to be proud ofbig315smooth has much to be proud ofbig315smooth has much to be proud of
got a few flats going recharged the soil cant wait to see how it does this year
big315smooth is online now Quote

Old 04-16-2019, 05:22 PM #806
starke

starke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud of
Spring Garden Begins

Couple of rows of tomatoes. Left to right - Rutgers, Cherry and Beefsteak. Germed from seeds back in January and raised along with the ladies until transplant about three weeks ago:

Some Silver Queen Corn interspersed with Blue Lake green beans planted about two weeks ago:

Just planted another two rows yesterday.

Peace,
starke
“We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.” ~Robert Wilensky

"Spread the knowledge, be humble if you don't know, be helpful if you do, if you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically, and overgrow the world." (SuperWeed 2017)

"Always keep in mind that when the hearse pulls up to pick you up, there is no trunk or luggage rack on that bitch." (Author unknown)

My Ongoing Grow Diary: Current grow begins on page 43.

Real Gorilla Seeds Sour Orange Diesel Grow (Completed 2/5/19)

Tripleberry F2 Grow In Progress
starke is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.