Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Harvesting & Processing > What Do YOU See Wrong With These Instructions for a CURE?

Thread Title Search
What Do YOU See Wrong With These Instructions for a CURE? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2019, 05:46 PM #1
Douglas.Curtis
Autistic Diplomat in Training

Douglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivor
What Do YOU See Wrong With These Instructions for a CURE?

I just saw these instructions posted online. It's how to "CURE" your cannabis properly.

What do YOU see wrong with these instructions?

How to Properly Dry and Cure Cannabis Buds
Quote:
Originally Posted by post
Here’s FOUR KEYS TO CURING CANNABIS:
1. Start with mostly dried buds or colas. The bud stems may be just brittle enough to snap after bending a bit.
2. Set up a climate-controlled environment with consistent temperature and relative humidity so the buds lose water at a stable, slow pace.
* Temperature: 65-70° F (18-21° C)
* Humidity: 50-55%
* Continuous circulation using oscillating and/or ceiling fans on low
* Buds or colas placed loosely on trays, in boxes, or hung on lines.
3. Time: 10 to 30 days
The buds dry slowly and consistently over several weeks. Curing allows the terpenes, which are oils, to continue to evolve. The trichomes continue to dry and smooth out and the THC-acid (THCa) converts to 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
4. Light: Constant dim light
Bright light, especially ultraviolet light, degrades cannabinoids and terpenes. Curing buds must sit in low light to total darkness.

What steps would you change, so new growers are not ruining their cannabis?
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

Old 01-13-2019, 05:59 PM #2
bigtacofarmer

bigtacofarmer is a survivorbigtacofarmer is a survivorbigtacofarmer is a survivorbigtacofarmer is a survivorbigtacofarmer is a survivorbigtacofarmer is a survivorbigtacofarmer is a survivorbigtacofarmer is a survivorbigtacofarmer is a survivorbigtacofarmer is a survivorbigtacofarmer is a survivor
I start when the bigger stems are almost crisp. Then jar in a cool dark place. To start with I check every few days and burp accordingly. When the stems start to snap and the buds are still just most enough to not be brittle I seal the jar. This is when drying ends and curing begins. Keep jar sealed. Anerobic bacteria begins to convert chlorophyll to sugars.

Without getting scientific this about sums it up for me. The longer in jar the better the cure. I used to think the burping part is curing but it is actually after drying is over and jar stays sealed. Opening starts process over. The only reason for burping jars is to make sure no extra moisture needs out. You can get away with no burps if you are a great judge of how dry the herb is.
bigtacofarmer is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:12 PM #3
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivor
Appreciate you sharing. What is your answer to the question?

Old 01-13-2019, 06:20 PM #4
frankelopez

frankelopez will become famous soon enoughfrankelopez will become famous soon enoughfrankelopez will become famous soon enough
i dont personally like the bud i get from drying at 50-55, atleast not 50
i try to stay around 60

question : does all thc-a convert to thc from a cure? i didnt think so. that would mean its 100% decarbed?
frankelopez is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:34 PM #5
bigtacofarmer

bigtacofarmer is a survivorbigtacofarmer is a survivorbigtacofarmer is a survivorbigtacofarmer is a survivorbigtacofarmer is a survivorbigtacofarmer is a survivorbigtacofarmer is a survivorbigtacofarmer is a survivorbigtacofarmer is a survivorbigtacofarmer is a survivorbigtacofarmer is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas.Curtis View Post
Appreciate you sharing. What is your answer to the question?

For some reason the first time I read through it I thought it said to start with already completely dry herb. Instead of re reading I just went right to rambling.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:47 PM #6
Shmavis
Being-in-the-world

Shmavis has a brilliant futureShmavis has a brilliant futureShmavis has a brilliant futureShmavis has a brilliant futureShmavis has a brilliant futureShmavis has a brilliant futureShmavis has a brilliant futureShmavis has a brilliant futureShmavis has a brilliant futureShmavis has a brilliant futureShmavis has a brilliant future
They strike me as instructions on how to dry your harvest, not cure it.

Reminds me of telling a budtender at a dispensary after he recommended a strain that it wasn't cured well if it was the same batch I had bought the week before. And if the same batch, I wasn’t interested. He proceeded to take a bud from the jar and tell me, as he snapped the stem, that that’s how you know it’s been cured. I didn’t bother trying to explain the difference.

And I am scratching my head over #4. Constant dim light? But then it closes by saying or total darkness. I’d go with darkness.
§467. I am sitting with a philosopher in the garden; he says again and again “I know that that’s a tree”, pointing to a tree that is near us. Someone else arrives and hears this, and I tell him: “This fellow isn’t insane. We are only doing philosophy.”

― Ludwig Wittgenstein, On Certainty
Shmavis is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:11 PM #7
Douglas.Curtis

Yep, you guys are on it. They're instructions for drying your cannabis. They're not for curing.

Next question.

What quality cannabis will you get if you follow these directions explicitly?

Old 01-13-2019, 08:16 PM #8
bigtacofarmer

Dust

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:43 PM #9
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivor
I'll ditto DUST!
MJPassion is offline Quote

Old 01-13-2019, 08:54 PM #10
Vanilla Phoenix
Super Lurker

Vanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivor
Vanilla Phoenix is offline Quote