What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

List of different Soil Mixes---Soil Directory

slowpokeamnesia

Can I use this thread to ask if you folks have any opinions on the mix I am planning?

1/3 Alpaca Manure + someEWC (Local cold compost)
1/3 Peat Moss
1/3 Coco Coir (aeration?)

+ Coots mix from BAS

cover crop of clover

top dress of malted barley powder

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
welcome to the forum slowpokeamnesia!
Im not an expert in mixes but im sure someone will help you.

What I would say to consider tho is the ph with that mix, I dont know what alpaca manure and ewc do to ph, but you may want to add some dolimite or some oyster shells to bring ph up if the manure lowers it. Perlite is also a plus, but depends on your enviroment too, what are the temps like? how often do you want to water? Is this for indoor or outdoor? All factors that play a part in what type of mix you want...

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
I enjoyed playing with soil mixes, but this year I dont have too much time, so I will be going back to my standard mix...

truckload of dirt from off the mountain where they clear cutted and pushed all the brush to piles and it composted.
few bags of ewc
few bags of steer manure
few bags of chicken manure
few bags of some other manure i find at nursery
some bat guano pellets
few bags of happy frog soil amendment
few bags of vermifarm soil amendment
few wheelbarrows full of compost
big bag of perlite
bag of age old grow
few cups of molasses

rota-till it all up and walah

no precise amounts of anything, just add it so it feels right.
feed compost teas as needed in flower.

slowpokeamnesia

More information:

I am doing an indoor in 30 gallons, hoping to feed minimally with diluted stinging nettle fpe and other microbial/nutritious teas. Going to control the temps to be 18-32 C range with LEDs and from the heating of my dwelling. Hoping to use coco coir for aeration because I already have it. I can water everyday if needed.

This is what is in the mix:
1. Brix Blend Basalt - Our Favorite Rock Dust for trace minerals. Highly paramagnetic.

2. Gypsum Dust - Calcium and Sulfur

3. Oyster Shell Flour - Calcium Carbonate - Adds available calcium and limes the Peat moss.

4. Crustacean Meal - Crab and Shrimp

5. Kelp Meal - Acadian Seaplants Brand

6. Neem Cake

slowpokeamnesia

Cool! I was expecting some hate for the manure. I was assured by the owner that it was treated well and a fed healthy diet.

I also have 2.5 gal biochar (just under 10% container volume) but I think I have to charge it first. Any recommendations on how to proceed for that?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^I don't even read your posts anymore without those asstastic avatars.

Coir is good but not an aeration substitute in peat mixes. Peat can be cut with coir 3:1. Too much will mess with the rough mix ratios your nutrient pack is made for. Grab a bag of perlite, rice hulls or what have you as a proper aeration amendment.

Google or site search char charging, can't recall anything offhand. 10% is about double to maximum you'd want to add. The organic sub forum has a few threads on the subject.

slowpokeamnesia

I actually double checked and the biochar was innoculated with EM. Should I lower my amount to 1 gallon biochar in 30 gallon container?

rice hulls for brewing is only 1-2$ per pound can I use this as aeration? I will also keeping an eye out on craigslist for it along with pumice lavarock or perlite

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
EM re: just the microbial soup or something you fermented with it? The goal with charging is to load up on N so as to not strip it from the soil. 1 gallon is good.

slowpokeamnesia

It says that it was inoculated with japanese EM soup. If it needs more N I can soak it in alpaca dung tea, but I would rather avoid that if I can just mix it in as is.

Ingski

I have some (unused) amended soil leftover from my last grow which was about 4 months ago. It seems really dry, and doesn't smell bad. Will I be use it for my next grow?

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have some (unused) amended soil leftover from my last grow which was about 4 months ago. It seems really dry, and doesn't smell bad. Will I be use it for my next grow?

i would just wet it down well, as if plants are in it... maube let it sit & remain moist for a couple weeks, wouldnt hurt hitting it with some compost tea or something like that also to kickstart the microbes

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Fox Farm Recipe

Fox Farm Recipe

I’d just like to point out that the Fox Farm recipe should also include 8 quarts of perlite.

I saw this recipe in HT at some time around 2003. Been using it ever since. Easy-peasy stuff.

And yes, add Thrive Alive and Maxicrop to your water.

This recipe really adheres to the KISS principle.

—Shmavis