What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Will Trump get impeached short before he leaves?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Twenty-fifth Amendment (Amendment XXV) to the United States Constitution says that if the President becomes unable to do his job do to mental or physical issues the Vice President becomes the President. This can happen for just a little while, if the President is just sick or disabled for a short time. This link goes into detail

https://constitutioncenter.org/interactive-constitution/amendment/amendment-xxv.

Impeachment is when a POTUS commits crimes or uses the office for illegal activities. There's more to it than this, you will have to look it up to get details. The House does the investigation and provides the evidence to the Senate. The senate holds the trial based on the evidence the house provides.

So you guess it is more likely he will get declared nuts? Why? He is as nuts like he was all the time. Is it, because Congress and Senate are both ruled by Democrats now?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes :D. For me im convinced he is 100% crazy train. It will take to long for the dems to impeach a 2nd time. only 13 days left.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
its should be eye opening to us all how easy it was for a crazy man to get people to commit crimes in his name. To stop democracy in its tracks. There's def way to many weak minded people that would do that for someone not a family memebr. No one get that kind of loyalty from me unless I'm munching there box or my kids, mom/dad.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Oh man, Canada must feel like they're in the apartment above the meth heads. I think they can quit putting pot growers away here now, we aren't the problem.

... I think they can quit putting pot growers away here now, we aren't the problem.

Let's hope weed will get legal soon everywhere in the US after Dems rule Senate and Congress. Here in Germany there will be elections in late summer and it is expected the Greens will be part of the new government. A decriminalization is expected in Germany. And a legalization in the US is helpful. :biggrin:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That wont happen anytime soon. Biden is not in fav of legal weed. If anything it will be decriminalized. There's so much that needs to be fixed after Trump. He will be so busy with covid.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
My view across the pond is of an ex president that looks like he might not want to move. So all the ways in which he will be forcibly removed are being made clear to him. So he leaves without any fuss. Knowing the alternative is a number of bad ways to leave and there is no way of staying.

Edit: He should really stand up and confirm that obviously he is leaving as that's due course. Labeling all this as potential smear from a new chair that's concerned he could be overthrown before he even gets seated. Showing a lack of trust in the system and misguided priorities when the country is under threat from this virus problem. The new guy just doesn't look sure of himself. This is weak behaviour at a time when strength is needed. Spin spin... spin.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
??

The House of Representatives voted to legalize marijuana
https://www.vox.com/2020/12/4/21443790/marijuana-legalization-house-of-representatives-congress-bill

The Dems don't want to legalize? Or do you think the legalization attempt will finally fail in the Senate?

There's many bills that pass in the house that never see the light of day. In the USA what the people want rarely becomes law. Mitch wont pass that bill. Even if that happened Biden will veto that.

igrowone

Veteran
I see stories of bill of impeachment being drawn up
and the 25th is being proposed by Schumer
Trump may well not make it past the weekend

zif

Veteran
They may still impeach him even after the 20th. The process not only allows removal from office, but can prevent him from ever running for president again.

St. Phatty

What discussions is the Secretary of Defense having with the heads of the Army, Navy etc. ?

I think at this point the Chain of Command is BROKE. Like a Joint that's been dropped in a puddle. It don't work no more.

If they're SERIOUS, they will use the 25th or impeachment to remove Trump from office by end of the day Thursday or Friday.

Simply because any "order" that Trump gave to the military, has a good chance of not being followed as of Thursday afternoon.

The US has stated in the past, that Continuity of Government is all-important. And that's broken right now.

The US is the nation that likes to go around Blowing Sh-t Up and Murdering Civilians. Personally I'm not concerned about Russia or China attacking the US between now & Jan. 20.

But if they did, the Chain of Command would be a little fuzzy.

On the other hand, "Muddle Through" has been the Standard Operating Procedure for decades in the US.

I expect that Nancy & Joe & Joe will ATTEMPT something.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Friday Close of Business comes and Trump is still the official Commander in Chief.

Never thought I would be watching Jimmy Kimmel on Youtube.

But ... Trump ! ! ! :wave:

I found something in German newspapers. I used google translator:
https://www.t-online.de/nachrichten...och-vorzeitig-aus-dem-amt-gejagt-werden-.html

"In a letter to Pence, the Democrats in the House of Representatives also demanded the premature disempowerment of Trump by their own government. The elected president had incited an uproar and "tried to undermine our democracy," wrote the democratic members of the judiciary committee. Trump is "mentally not healthy" and unable to "process and accept" the election result.

The procedure for the removal of the president provided for in the "25th Amendment" is complicated - if it actually got rolling, it might not be completed before Trump's term in office ends anyway.

Because a mere cabinet decision is not enough for the permanent removal of the president. It is true that the president is removed from office immediately if the vice-president and cabinet submit a corresponding declaration in Congress. The President can then, however, certify his qualifications with a counter-declaration, which would immediately put him back in office.

In the next step, the vice-president and cabinet would again have to declare the president's incapacity, which would lead to his renewed provisional removal from office. Congress would then have to vote on a possible final dismissal within 21 days. A two-thirds majority would then be required for this."

Sounds like it is not that easy...

zif

Veteran
You won't get 2/3 of the Senate to impeach him.

I’m not positive about that - Republicans senators were furious he burned their chances in GA.

Interestingly, too, apparently it only takes a simple majority to prevent him from running again. I’m not sure whether that requires an affirmative removal vote first.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
One difference between the 25th Amendment and impeachment is the justification for the president’s removal. In order to be impeached and convicted, the president must commit “Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors”.

The 25th Amendment, the vice president can assume presidential power if “the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office.”

The process of invoking the 25th Amendment may change who holds presidential authority more quickly than impeachment, both processes could easily take more than two weeks to fully play out.

At LEAST DJT is suspended indefinitely from Facebook!!