What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gaia green soluble seaweed

Great outdoors

Anyone using this?
Numbers are 0-0-17.
I run a no till outdoor garden with mounds.
Every year I mix up a super soil, no peat mix of silt, sand and compost as well as amendments and add a cubic meter or so on top of the old mound and plant on that.
Growth is always great but every year I get a potassium deficiency in August due to huge growth and lots of water during the heat of summer. My recovery has generally been sulpomag as it is the only quickly available high potassium organic option. I run lots of crushed oyster shells in the soil to deal with the calcium for all this magnesium.
I already have kelp meal as well as liquid kelp I use but the K numbers aren't there. So this year I decided to try some GG soluble seaweed as well.
My question is how high can you dose this?
Instructions are only a teaspoon a gallon which I have been doing but it isn't very big number of potassium at that dose. Not really doing a lot I have still needed to go heavy on the sulpomag to achieve my goals. I do a tablespoon of sulpomag per gallon a few times as well as add 4 tablespoons top dress per hole once or twice.
Anyone experimented with higher doses?
My worry is the trace element level will be too high.
Keep in mind these are big plants. 8 to 10 feet and bushy. IMG_20200822_112300.jpg

I use a lot of kelp/seaweed products. Mostly for the high K but also because of the micronutrients. I've always had the idea that micronutrients are needed at a higher concentration than recommended, especially when you are dealing with a mix with a high CEC and organic matter. Cannabis can definitely use the higher micros. Kelp also really feeds the microbial community really well. The only thing I would worry about is a Na build up if you use too much in one pot/plot. Gypsum normally would correct this easily, but you keep running into K problems as it is. So if you can find a good source of freshwater kelp/seaweed that would be badass.

Great outdoors

I've only used Gaia Green Greensand and Gaia Green Power Bloom and like them. :)

Yeah I like there products but they are on the pricey side so I try to keep it to a minimum. I use their fish bone meal and bat guano but 75 percent of my amendments come from the animal feed store, much cheaper.
I like growing my plants with local ingredients I can collect for free since I live in mountain country. I get my own sand, silt, granite, basalt and river rock. Only thing I pay for is a truck load of compost for $50.
I'm growing for myself so I like to keep it cheap.
Anyways I digress, back to searching for someone who has some experience with the soluble seaweed. Looking for a big K boost.

40degsouth

Personally l use sulphate of potash but someone posted a cool process making plant available potassium out of fire ash, l think it was PDX in the “Local Materials” thread this year.
Cheers,

Azeotrope

Veteran
Check out Langbeinite. Really easy to apply. Brings a good load of K, S, Mag. An absolute gem for organic dirt/soil growing.

Using hardwood ash is risky. I find it best to add some hardwood ash and hardwood charcoal to a compost pile, worm bin, and/or soil mix ahead of planting. It will not only provide a good amount of K and Mag as it breaks down but, the charcoal will become "charged" with nutrients/elements and then release them as they are depleted from the soil.

Great outdoors

Check out Langbeinite. Really easy to apply. Brings a good load of K, S, Mag. An absolute gem for organic dirt/soil growing.

Using hardwood ash is risky. I find it best to add some hardwood ash and hardwood charcoal to a compost pile, worm bin, and/or soil mix ahead of planting. It will not only provide a good amount of K and Mag as it breaks down but, the charcoal will become "charged" with nutrients/elements and then release them as they are depleted from the soil.

When I say sulpomag that is just a common brand name for langbeinite.
I use wood ash and plenty of my home made biochar in the spring. I wouldn't add wood ash now as the amount needed would be too much of a pH swing.

Azeotrope

Veteran
When I say sulpomag that is just a common brand name for langbeinite.
I use wood ash and plenty of my home made biochar in the spring. I wouldn't add wood ash now as the amount needed would be too much of a pH swing.

Ha! Lol. Yes. Strong sativa + Stoner moment from me. I got the wood ash in my head and started thinking of my dodgy attempts at using it as a top dress and as part of a solution/tea years ago.

Peace

h.h.

Veteran
Wood ash water concentrated and refined through evaporation. Further refined by adding distilled water and further evaporation.