What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trace Minerals

BloomBlood

I think I originally posted this in the wrong forum so I'll try here

For some time now I've been using clean ocean water once or twice a month diluted in my water when feeding, the reason being there are 90 or more trace minerals in sea water and basically in layman's terms all life originally comes or came from the ocean.

I normally use a ratio of about 20 ml of ocean water to 4 ltrs of fresh water but yesterday I read an article from 2006 about the use of diluted ocean water not only for the soil but also as a foiler and at a ratio of as much as 100 ml to 4 ltrs.

Do any of you fellow growers utilise the benefits of ocean water? And if you do how often and at what ratio?

A little definetly goes a long way so please use very sparingly and start of light if your new to this ?

Hookahhead

SM - 90 is a mineral product, I think it literally stands for sea minerals - 90. Also in KNF/JADAM they use sea water that has been allowed to ferment 1 day. I have used it occasionally, but not frequently enough to assess if it actually does anything for me.

Big Eggy

Veteran
Hmm interesting.. I've walking distance to the ocean (Atlantic), would love to hear what others have to say or the articles mentioned.

Is the massive amounts of sea salt not a problem even when diluted? I know most ferts are salts but my brain says sea water+drugs are bad um'kay

Hookahhead

Even sodium and chlorine are micronutrients used by the plants.. everything in moderation. Ideally you would use brine from “table salt” production, which is more concentrated and has much less NaCl.

Taken from the JADAM book starting on page 117. The whole book can be found HERE.

How much and what minerals have been taken out of my soil through the process of natural leaching? This is very difficult for even scientists to measure. But taking a super macro-view can give us an insight. Let us look at this problem of leaching from a “global” view. Then it is easier to find out where the minerals taken out of my soil have eventually gone: the sea. For hundreds of years, my soil has experienced leaching of nutrients; to cure it, we will bring back the nutrients from the sea. The mineral content of sea water is strikingly similar to that of the amniotic fluid of a mother. The mineral balance of plasma which is made from eliminating red and white blood cells from blood is very similar to that of plant fluid and sea water. That is why biologists claim that both fauna and flora came from the sea. Sea water is quite a mysterious thing. The human fetus goes through the entire process of evolution again. In the beginning it has a tail then it disappears. After ten months, it grows to the shape of a homo sapiens.

To date, 83 elements have been found to be present in sea water. Most of the elements that make up the earth are in the sea water; not only Mg, Ca, K and P which are essential for crop growth but also other various minerals such as I, Mn, Mo, Co, Se and Ge. About 100 million marine microorganisms live in 1 mL of sea water. This makes it an excellent ingredient to mix with the JADAM indigenous microorganism solution (JMS) which is bred from microorganisms collected from leaf mold. If you mix the two types of water together, then you essentially have all the diversity Earth has to offer: from the land and from the sea. That could be why if you do a foliar application of JMS and sea water, you have no more powdery mildew. Let us make good use of sea water to fight the leaching of nutrients from our soil. Note that since sea water is around 3% salt and the body fluid of plants is around 1%, you must mix the sea water with thirty to one hundred times more plain water. This is to prevent salt damage to plants and accumulation of Na and Cl in soil. JADAM recommends using 20 liters (5.28 gal) (or 600 grams (1.3 lb) of sea salt) for 0.1 ha (1?4 ac).

Mix sea water with JMS and continue applying it 3-4 times a month. Using sea water not only supplements minerals leached out of the soil but also improves sweetness, coloring, storing period and product value. If you look at the sea water composition, it has plenty of S, Mg, Ca, K, B, P, I which are all essential for crop growth. It even has Se and Ge which are known to be extremely beneficial. That is why JADAM strongly suggests the use of sea water as mineral supplement for plants. Even the Korean National Institute of Agricultural Sciences has confirmed the beneits of sea water and/or sea salt. It is the sales agents of agricultural inputs that adamantly oppose the use of sea water/salt. Benefits of sea water has been proven through history. Fields, rice paddies and orchards by the sea were showered with sea water elements for hundreds and thousands of years. They produce better quality food than inland farms. What clearer an evidence?

However, take care not to apply sea water mixed with less than thirty times water because then the salinity will be too strong which can damage crops. Do not sprinkle salt directly onto soil or spray undiluted sea water! Remember that good and bad are one. If a good were excessive, it will turn bad. If you cannot obtain sea water, then sea salt can be used. 20 liters (5.28 gal) of sea water is equal to around 500 grams (1.1 lb) of salt. Calculate your dilution ratio based on this conversion. The salinity of sea water differs according to regions; normally it is between 3.1-3.8%. It is generally accepted as sea water if the salt concentration is above 1.7%.

picture.php

BloomBlood

Even sodium and chlorine are micronutrients used by the plants.. everything in moderation. Ideally you would use brine from “table salt” production, which is more concentrated and has much less NaCl.

Taken from the JADAM book starting on page 117. The whole book can be found HERE.

View Image

Yes mate JADAM is what put me on to ocean water and it's benifits, how often do you apply and at what ratio? I've never tried the full strength dilution, I always go light.

BTW I how do I 'find a post helpful' on here?

Latest posts

Latest posts