What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any Small Grower Friendly Counties Nor Cal

gsxr97

Veteran
Hi Everyone,

Tired of the valley heat. Lived here my whole life. Next 10 days are over 100.

Spend lots of time in Mendocino and Humboldt to escape the heat every summer.

I have a good job. Enough to get a another small house somewhere. Like to move somewhere cooler. Familiar with Northern California. I'd do trinity river area, hills surrounding, to anywhere closer to the coast.

Anyone in Butte, Tehama, or Shasta that doesn't get messed with ?

Quick question. Not trying to get rich, not trying to be commercial at at all.

For a small backyard guy, is any county say Trinity, Humboldt, Mendocino more friendly. I'm guessing getting a legal small grow is basically impossible now. I've been researching it but getting lots of mixed opinions on what is happening in each area.

I see lots of places/farms for sale which makes me wonder why people are leaving.

Junction City, Mad River, Alderpoint are a few places I've seen reasonable real estate.

Are there areas that you won't get hassled living and having a small but decent sized garden that is not all permitted?

I'd like to have a decent outdoor, but small plant numbers okay, nothing crazy in garden size either.

Live clean, raise a family there. Not trash or junk, or hurt the environment around the place. Want a bit cooler weather, more rural life. Already live in the country, but looking for more seclusion.

If anyone local has thoughts on that I'd greatly appreciate it.

grayeyes

In California, if you are not growing more than six plants you are legal STATEWIDE. Be inconspicous, no 14 foot plants in the front yard.

The more rural the less likely of finding a job. You may want to take that into account.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
What would be ideal would be if you could live there, and not have to be a CA citizen somehow, to avoid the taxes. Like go to NV and get your mail every now and then.

A lot of jobs now are being done remotely, so as long as you are connected (wired) , you can be just about anywhere and work from home.

gsxr97

Veteran
I like your thinking ! I can work remotely if u need to. I do love California, minus lots of things. Taxes and costs definitely one. But I plan on living and raising a family somewhere in the state.

gsxr97

Veteran
Current setup

Current setup

Garden 2020

Attachments

• A18D5867-D25E-4F48-B1DC-43A8E0B9ABD8.jpg
    A18D5867-D25E-4F48-B1DC-43A8E0B9ABD8.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 102
  • B3911AB8-B2EC-4D7A-B774-E97451646FF3.jpg
    B3911AB8-B2EC-4D7A-B774-E97451646FF3.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 100

gsxr97

Veteran
Big blue dream in the ground

Big blue dream in the ground

Check this out :)

Attachments

• 32D4A992-A9DB-48EE-A535-139764C15BCC.jpg
    32D4A992-A9DB-48EE-A535-139764C15BCC.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 104

gsxr97

Veteran
Garden info

Garden info

Garden Genetics are :

1 Giant Blue Dream in the ground (Had to at least have 1)
5 Lucid Dreams in 300 gal pots and 1 in the ground (Big Hole)
5 Tahoe Og's in 300 gal pots and 1 in the ground ,
8 Slurricane in large trench/beds and 1 in a 65 gal fabric pot

Plants are biggest I've ever had at my property. Put up first layer of Hortanova trellis and have bent over the big plants. Doing a giant SCROG ! But I have grown past 5 years here, just smaller gardens. Did it much better this year, and now the plants are starting to really get huge. Worried about smell with my neighbors but nothing I can do but ride it out. They are hidden from view and we are quiet neighbors.

Biggest let down this year is the Tahoe OG, not growing very much compared to the other strains, but I guess this was expected. I get my plants from a reputable grower, same guy for the last 3 years. His blue dream cut and this Lucid Dream cut this year are absolute fire !

Slurricane is from a breeder I got in Oakland, so indoor cut being run outside. 1/2 of them are growing like crazy, not sure if its the hole or the specific cuts are different.

Grapefruitroop

The whole "emerald triangle" is nowadays very much controlled by the insane amount of agencies and inspectors that popped out after the legalization...
I Heard that peeps are now even havin problem to raise a hoophouse to grow few veggies cause now everyone wants his cut and drones and plains are always takin pics...
Its all about taxing the hell out of it and make infinite codes and restrictions that makes your life not funny at all in my opinion...
If you wana have your personals...fine but the good old backyard dream garden visible from the sky you may get harassed...
There are also some sour neighboors that after beein wallet raped by the state taxes dont look any good at thieir wise neighboor that doesent pay.....
The cost of living out there is just stupid crazy due to the weed...
I always felt that the more the time passed the more people wanted to make money off the growers...till reacing the nowadays reality where the growers get squeezed by everyone around...but the value of the bud went down a lot compared to the beginning of the 215...
Very High cost of life, lots of regulations, and a saturated market make things complicated in my opinion...without talking about the raising problem of criminality....lots of rippers and crooks from the cities are now aware of the emerald triangle..(it took a while for those retards to figure out hahah) lots of home invasions , hijacks and bullshits that before were just dont exist in humboldt...

The magic mountains that go from the beautiful coast to the wild and harsh trinity mountains will always be my dreamland....but the good ol days are gone....
I wish you can find your spot btw!But i think you could get away better if you are away from the big reflectors pointed at California...:tiphat:

gsxr97

Veteran
Maybe I'll try to just find a more secluded spot out of the Emerald Triangle. Though I'm gonna keep on dreaming too. Heading to Humboldt for a camping trip soon and always get jealous seeing all the giant grows/greenhouses on the way there.

gsxr97

Veteran
I know there is a gem of a property hidden somewhere. Deep trinity would be amazing. Spent lots of time hiking in the Trinity alps As a kid.

Rurumo

Has anyone ever gone way out there like maddoc county?

Modoc may be the only "cheapish" place left in California, but it's redneck country for sure.. Most of it is not especially pretty either, just high desert type land with just a few scrubby trees. I'd get out of the state if your budget has you looking there. I left CA and miss it sometimes, but I've never regretted leaving. Plenty of legal states now, and plenty more with easy to get med cards. Good luck to you bud! Montana just legalized and is being flooded by CA covid refugees-house prices have skyrocketed here this year. Pretty soon there won't be an inch of affordable land left in the entire country.

wwoww

Modoc may be the only "cheapish" place left in California, but it's redneck country for sure.. Most of it is not especially pretty either, just high desert type land with just a few scrubby trees. I'd get out of the state if your budget has you looking there. I left CA and miss it sometimes, but I've never regretted leaving. Plenty of legal states now, and plenty more with easy to get med cards. Good luck to you bud! Montana just legalized and is being flooded by CA covid refugees-house prices have skyrocketed here this year. Pretty soon there won't be an inch of affordable land left in the entire country.
I have never been there. I love mendo and sohum. I normally stayed there for all my weed needs. I don't ever want to leave California. I was asking because I looked at the homes there and they looked really weird and I don't think there are even the same policing agencies out there looking for grows the same way they are in the triangle.

CrushnYuba

You can grow a handful of plants anywhere if your neighbors dont hate you for the most part. Depends really on how big you want to go. I wouldn't want to live in the triangle unless i was set on a bigger grow. For me it's not worth it anymore. Quality of life is more important at this point for me. Also really depends on your budget and other stuff. If you can afford it, Nevada county is paradise for small farmers.

Modoc doesn't have the same climate as the rest of norcal. It's high desert. Not great for growing, awful for living. Best climate is the foothills in my opinion.
Trinity is a pretty good climate. Terrible to live. Lake county is a great climate, but tweakerey. Napa is a good climate but really pricey.

Counties on the coast like Humboldt and Sonoma have fog. U have to get up high to get away from it

The Sierra foothills between 1000ft and 2800ft is best climate. El dorado and placer county does not like growing.

CrushnYuba

I wouldn't want to live in butte but it's inexpensive and good climate. U won't get messed with much of u are in the right neighborhood.
Oroville is gross. Chico is a cool town. U want to be up in the mountains though to grow

Yuba is a good climate in the foothill part. Not bad to live if you are close to grass valley. Marysville is disgusting.

Nevada county is great all around but expensive. No place like it on earth in my opinion.