What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Co2 tabs

I went in to the local grow shop to see about getting some Co2, the Guy in the shop recommended the Co2 tabs made by "No Mercy supplies".
Apparently you just dissolve the tabs into the feed water and thats that.

Does anyone here use these tabs?
Are they any good?

Pirate138

the Revenant
Veteran
yeah i wana know if that these co2 tabs work at all, other co2 systems have always been to expensive to afford.

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
This is a bit of a controvercy, because according to science -or rather what we know of plant physics - those tabs are not supposed to work.
But still, IMO they do. I've tried them. They're not as efficient as CO2 influx (in the 1500 ppm range), but they do increase root expansion (CO2 is the only substance that can make roots grow faster), which leads to faster growth, especially in late veg. I personally stop using them when flipping the lights, because IMO the faster root expansion leads to faster growth which leads to greater stretch, but it's something I'd like to experiement with a bit more before I say that "it is so".

G

Things that really work usually do cost a bit more. I also notice they have a handy dandy slicker than snot on a door knob tablet dispenser available too ! Add it all up and evaluate the performance.

happy growing and peace

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Ty-Stik said:
Things that really work usually do cost a bit more.

Meaning? They're not exactly for free, I think they sold for 14 Euros ($17). If you concider the fact that CO2 is one of the most common chemical compounds on Earth, and that making tabs that releases CO2 is a pretty simple process, they should only cost a fraction of that price.

You're getting plucked, as usual.

Last edited:

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
i used them years ago, they seemed to work-however i subsequently did a little learning and discovered that 99.9% of horticulturalists/academics/bio-chemists know that CO2 is not taken up by the roots-
CO2 may slightly lower the ph of nutes so for soil growers using it that may be the explaination for why an affect may be seen

i recon most of the positive affects p[eople are reporting with thiese tabs is the added Mg that they put in them

other friends, on learning that CO2 is not taken up by the roots, started to put the CO2 tabs in cups next to the plants to achieve the 'CO2 effect'-lol

personally i think that is unlikely because the CO2 produced by one little tab is going to be pretty insignificant. And as RCheeks has pointed out-you can get fizzy tablets for a fraction of the cost.

eddie

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Just a slight correction Eddie. CO2 is uptakeable by the roots (not to mention that certain plants have specialized in assimilating CO2 primarily through the roots, proving that it can sustain a plant's need for carbon), only about 30 000 times less efficiently than the stomata of the leaves, which has erroneously led some researchers to state that roots 'cannot' assimilate CO2.
We know that aquatic plants can assimilate CO2 through the roots, but the understanding of this process isn't complete, so we just have to wait until someone can explain why (or how) it works.
If you thought yourself that it works, why did you stop?

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
If you thought yourself that it works, why did you stop?

alright Rosy-i stopped using them because after a little research i came to conclusion that any benificial effects were the result of the small amount of Mg, and possibly something from the CO2 added to the air in the growroom.

I've followed the debate/arguemnt over these tabs for a few years now-and despite the aquatic theory etc-as far as i understand it-the overwhelming concensus of the horticultural/scientific community would say that CO2 take up at root level is not significant-

i'm not dismissing the thing out of hand tho-
do remember reading about old school growers using carbonated water and claiming some good effect-but i still think that its more likely to be due to subtle changes in ph in the medium etc-

cheers
eddie

lc00p4

STORM-TROOPA
Veteran
i've tried that supernatural excellofizz CO2 kit before. they are a little big, seeing that 1 of those pucks is good for a 12 x 12 enclosure. just break em in smaller pieces and into the water they go. try putting a piece of paper over the cup and poke a small pinhole, so they CO2 doesn't just get wasted all at once with no absorption. couldn't really vouch for increase in yield because it was used on my first grow ever and i had to cull early due to security reasons. then i forgot to use them on my next grow!!!

St. Phatty

sugar water + yeast is as cheap as CO2 gets.

Unless you have a cage with 10 bunny rabbits or 30 rats exhaling CO2, in the grow room.