What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED for veg only?

COS

Is there a particular type of LED for veg only?

My vegroom is 20 x 10. I grow large plants 2 month veg.

I'm trying to keep node spacing shorter on some very lengthy OG,s.

Normally I use CMH 4k but still to stretchy, just recently I tried 6k blue MH that did better than CMH for shorter node spacing.
However the plants grew very slow and had to give them extra 3 weeks of veg time. That is unacceptable.

Would LED fare any better?

Sorry I know absolutely nothing about LEDs.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Have used led's once so far and was impressed how compact the plants got. But my led has some extra chips for flower. For veg only i would try a white quantum board 3k-4k with samsung lm301 leds. Kingbrite(alibaba) should be a good bang for buck ~110$ + shipping for 240w.

At 3 weeks veg with mars tsl2000 in 27l fabric pots. 7/10 were autos and started to flower so those are the stretchy ones.

picture.php

noknees

5k LED strip sounds like your huckleberry. 20 watts/ft at the outside. beefy stems, short nodes and great vigor. main issues = height/too much

light, and feeding.

COS

Kingbright? Do you have a link. I have the app but showing multiple kingbright lights.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is there a particular type of LED for veg only?

My vegroom is 20 x 10. I grow large plants 2 month veg.

I'm trying to keep node spacing shorter on some very lengthy OG,s.

Normally I use CMH 4k but still to stretchy, just recently I tried 6k blue MH that did better than CMH for shorter node spacing.
However the plants grew very slow and had to give them extra 3 weeks of veg time. That is unacceptable.

Would LED fare any better?

Sorry I know absolutely nothing about LEDs.

I use 4k CMH for veg. They work perfectly. No issues with stretch. My veg room is almost the same size as yours at 10 x 18. I put tents in this area to make is so much easier for me to heat and keep RH% up and not waste heating the whole space.. I also use a GC Roi-420 led to veg/flowering my males in a 5x5 tent. Also works perfectly. The only issue is if the area your vegging in doesn't stay warm temps can be an issue with led.
https://www.ledlightexpert.com/understanding_led_light_color_temperatures_ep_79

picture.php

COS

Yes the cmh 630w 4k is what I normally use however I have a couple of OG,s that just want to keep stretching like hell in veg. Topping and cropping dont help either. I guess there's nothing that can been done about it.

Horselover Fat

Veteran
MOAR LIGHT

I dunno why people insist on lower light levels in veg. I've found high intensity keeps the internodal length short.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran

My god... what are them flat plate things. I was horrified until I saw they still have them with finned heatsinks (though slightly modified) at the right price.
I see the more typical 240w unit is 100 euros plus 50 euros to the states (who I thought used dollars). That's 62.5cents per watt. So the 600w version should be 375 euros but it's 425.

It seems the choice of 2021 or older, isn't as it seems. The choice is 301h or 301b, respectively. I would like to load an image of the older ones to see if the newer heatsink is being used but my connection to them has all but stopped

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Oh yes.. the topic

I veg with 3k citizen cobs and at just 10w a foot they growth is entirely different to 20w of sodium. The sodium is leggy stretching growth while the LEDs look like more than 50w of MH did it.

It's not really an issue of which colour LED. Yes there are differences, but just being LED is such a huge difference that the variance between one and another is seriously over-shadowed. Presuming you don't buy some total buds.

The 10w is well positioned, inches away. It's actually 4 cobs in a 3x2. I would set out to buy 30w a foot at least. It will soon be in your flower rooms once you see it work. So buying too much won't ever be an issue. You will be buying more

COS

Ok so 10 watts per SF. This is strictly for veg. So that's 160 watts per 4x4 area. So is there a fixture that will cover 4 x 4 area at 160 w does anyone have a link to one?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Ok so 10 watts per SF. This is strictly for veg. So that's 160 watts per 4x4 area. So is there a fixture that will cover 4 x 4 area at 160 w does anyone have a link to one?

I'm not sure I would recommend 10w. I'm doing it, but still it seems a little unbelievable. Even with it right before me. More light speeds the grow, but has little effect on structure. I have 4.5weeks to get from cuttings to 300mm square plants. You may wish to go faster.

In the interests of an even coverage, I might look at a pair of 240w units, mounted fairly high. $300 delivered from KB. Plus any taxes that might arise. It's more light than needed, but them lights will always find a use and have the physical dimensions for a nice coverage.

Everything is within 8" of a light how I'm working so you can't replicate it with 4x50w cobs. You need to shove your hand in your pocket and dig deep I think. Or look at 4 x 100w UFO's as not all of them are bad. Though it's tempting to buy crap ones when the prices are so good.

COS

I'm vegging for 2 months. Could I use 1 CLU048 per SF at 12 watts? 10x20=200SF x 12 watts would be 2400 watts total. Would that be comparable to 3200 watts of 4k CMH?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I found a pic of 11w growth. LED's seem to not make light past about 660nm and as such there is no gradient of this radiation across the plant to cause a stretch response. Or so it looks to me. You can see it's fairly squat and full, but not a heavy frame. The leaf size says a lot about it's efforts to catch more light. I wouldn't say it's struggling. That would of been a rooted cutting about 2.5 - 3 weeks ago.

I think you can see I have been at it with the scissors to keep it in shape