What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Contact! Seeds in soil for my first run

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Day 18 for the rabbit, the others are abut 4 behind.

The 2 AK-47 are doing really well, on their 3rd set of leafs. The rabbit has the 4th set out. The tall plants are up to 340 umols.

One little Serious Kush, that just doesn't want to grow up. The little plant in the very back is the transplant that I snapped the tap root on, when I pulled it up. Even it is beating the shrimp. Two medium size plants in between. I am going try to put the biggest 5 plants into 7 gallon fabric pots in the next day or two .

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Awesome man, progress! They will take off once transplanted into that sweet soil you have going.

Let the show begin!

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
So the lights are in the tents, and I moved the 5 best plants to 7 gallon pots. The condition of the soil in the cups was in terrible terrible shape. Bottoms were dry from the heat pad, not many roots. These plants are gonna be much happier now.

The lights in an empty tent can overpower the cooling ventilation. I had to lower the lights and lower the power to get the cooling vent fans a chance to keep up, and still get the light power I wanted. I think when there are bigger plants in there to absorb the energy, things will be OK.

How do you lower an air cooled bulb light?

The soil in the dixie cups was way dry, especially at the bottom. That was from the heat pad, and me being afraid to over water. They will be a lot happier in the bags, hopefully they all make it. I made some microbe drench and poured in on after the move. The power is only 300 so they have a chance to catch their breath.

I'll add top dress and mulch when the top dress shows up. Mine was probably in that big truck wreck.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Day 21 for the rabbit. Plants made it through the night and the center rabbit is basking in 400 umole light. With the lights lowered closer to the plants, and turned down, the temps and humidity can be better controlled now. LOL, a worm is crawling on the remote probe! That makes the moisture go to max... That probe is nice, except for the worms. I use a blumat probe for the real readings.

The two Serious AK-47 are in back, and are doing really well despite the dixie cup abuse. The rabbit has the 5th leaves starting, and I will pinch them off in a bit. My buildasoil topdress is probably scatterred all over I-40 from a wreck, and I also need mulch on top of that. I will use wheat straw. Too snowy, I picked up some pine needles off my driveway and used them after putting them in a pillow case and running in the dryer a while to piss off the bugs.

I like this light for a lot of reasons. The bars make seeing through them nice, and because the light folds, it makes getting in to work on the tent stuff easier. The way it is hung can be improved, and I want a way to move the light up and down from outside the tent.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor

Here is the latest group shot. I made room in bags for the last plant that has promise, and am keeping the midgets, cause I can. They may go outdoors in a gurella spot.

Without mulch the cover seeds sprouted and tailed, and probably died. If that topdress and Amino-N ever show up, I will add more cover seed under the topdress. At least the plants are alive, but this is slow going. The redneck in me wants to mix up some miracle grow!

I pinched off the 5th set of leaves on the rabbit. The AK-47 need another set. Man, that is a beginners strain for sure. The abuse it has taken so far...

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
WTF is with the slow going? 3 weeks in, and they are making the 4th leafs, very slowly. No stems growing either. Lower leafs are yellow on the rabbit, and getting that way on the GxDxOPG. The umoles are at around 500 today, up from 450 yesterday.

No point in an updated pic, nothings changed.

Last edited:

gizmo666

i suffered the same problem in my diary flylow
i changed my light thinking my 250w mh was pish went to my 400w hps no change
was at the point of killing them and starting again when i checked my roots they were'nt forming
thats why i just threw them into different soil not expecting them to survive and they took off
hope they kick in soon for you mate
nothing worse than looking at someone elses plants at 21 days and they are huge .........
good luck

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The soil I could change to is the same stuff, with fewer amendments. I made a bunch of it.

Frustration is the word all right. I have the next 4 strains picked out to start (2 tents), but worry about them doing as poorly. The front middle plant was put in that fresh soil 2 days ago, and it isn't growing either.

Fitzera

Be patient, sometimes they're fast, sometimes slow. It's hard to deal with but just give them time.

The only thing I'm thinking is that because there wasn't much of a root system yet in the solo cups, it's going to take them some time to speed up the root formation.
Also, keep a watch on your watering....now that they're is such large pots and small root system it will take a while for them to use the water in the soil and you risk over watering (ask me how I know ;)). I'd try to just water smaller amounts in a circle closer to the plant, enticing the roots to grow to the water.

When I start in solos I use a bagged "super soil" which I've found not to be hot. I also use a seedling mat. I water them small amounts to begin with and once they're semi established I'll give them a good drink and then almost like dropping the cup without actually dropping it, getting excess water out.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The heat pad in the nursery was hard on the soil in the cups, and the roots were really thin when I transplanted. One possibility is the tap water I was conned into using instead of my pond water. The water report the county sends said chlorine, but the bastards may be using the other stuff that needs a different carbon filter, or it kills the bacteria. I will scare some filters up and change the one I have (need to fix the leaking o-ring anyways). I ordered the new filters, and the Water dept guy says it is only chlorine gas being used, so chloromine isn't the problem.

I am amazed at how fast the bags dry out in the tent vs how I was testing them sitting in a tub. I need to get my sip built and running, maybe that will help with moisture.

Maybe I will see if I can find some HF soil while I am out looking for filters, and start a couple plants in it. I have enough dope around to last me through Spring, but something needs to start working with this grow.

Grows like a weed.... LOL. Unless you try too hard.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I think these plants lack nitrogen. I have some blood meal, can get some chicken poop. Chicken poop I would dissolve in water and water the roots. Maybe I can source some fish meal locally.

I will say this, I am really tired of the people at BAS and the stoners that answer the phones. It has been very painful dragging out of them what I need for the grow cycle, and I finally just took their schedule and ordered those things on the webs, after hanging up on a loser stoner who was telling me I didn't need any of their stuff, l unless i wanted good results. I never talked with the owner. They are out of the N they use, and won't get more. Now I am supposed to get something else. I will probably find another vendor and system as I go forward. There is a bunch that is closer, in OK.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Broke out a tsp blood meal per plant, added some top dress, and watered. I need to get fish meal, which I will use instead of the blood when I get it. I also picked up some chicken shit from the farm across the street.

Runtz rabbit:

AK47 fat leaf:

AK47 skinny leaf:

Both AK47s had the 5th set starting so I pinched them off.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Looking good? That is over three weeks, and they are still not making stems. I have turned the lights down to 680W so maybe they will stretch some.

I have treated the two midgets differently. Watering the crap outta them, and they have less light cause they are lower, and in a corner.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
I think these plants lack nitrogen. I have some blood meal, can get some chicken poop. Chicken poop I would dissolve in water and water the roots. Maybe I can source some fish meal locally.

I will say this, I am really tired of the people at BAS and the stoners that answer the phones. It has been very painful dragging out of them what I need for the grow cycle, and I finally just took their schedule and ordered those things on the webs, after hanging up on a loser stoner who was telling me I didn't need any of their stuff, l unless i wanted good results. I never talked with the owner. They are out of the N they use, and won't get more. Now I am supposed to get something else. I will probably find another vendor and system as I go forward. There is a bunch that is closer, in OK.

I was in the shop the day I overheard Dave, the stoner you were talking about. He was on the phone with you and trying to help only to be hung up on.

This is complicated to help and most of the time we try not to sell people products that they don't need and help them learn how to grow. In freshly made soil you shouldn't need to buy fertilizer and once you learn how to get through all of this you will be a better grower for it. The goal is to create successful independent growers.

We absolutely carry Aminos in several forms and they are some of the best and most cost effective on the market.

I'd have to go back and look at your soil recipe to genuinely help. Aminos can certainly be a helper if overwatered and in need of some fast N.

Blood meal will also have the N but it's from GMO fed non organic cattle and pig farms.

Chicken pellets can be a similar problem but are generally more well rounded than blood meal.

If you keep adding more and the problem wasn't a lack, but an excess of sodium or Potassium and an excess of water it might get worse. Because of how complicated this can be we aim to learn more before selling more product and hope you can understand.

You can't just buy a good grow, you'll have to go through all the lessons and regardless of how you feel we will still be here to help should you need it.

Our phone staff often spends hours on the phone with customers and it can be overwhelming to help everyone so keep that in mind no matter whom you call. If they are successful, then consulting will be time consuming or expensive... where as anyone can just recommend more products to try.

The BuildASoil Schedule was created because people wanted to know what we like to use but NONE of it is needed. Just good soil, good genetics, dialed in environment and proper watering.

Hope that helps and holler if you need anything.

:watchplant:

MileHighGuy

Veteran
What exactly was in your soil? The odor and extra moisture referenced in the past would be my number one culprit for slow growth. Beyond that make sure the grow environment is warm enough. When I see stunted growth I think over water and no nutrient availability or sometimes too much potassium and sodium from the organic amendments being slightly overused. Sometimes both can compound.

gizmo666

Looking good? That is over three weeks, and they are still not making stems. I have turned the lights down to 680W so maybe they will stretch some.

I have treated the two midgets differently. Watering the crap outta them, and they have less light cause they are lower, and in a corner.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=85454&pictureid=2123041&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Small they may be but they do look healthy
As for growth from what happened to me I think I would change out the soil completely
But then again I certainly ain't a pro grower
Hope you get it dialed in soon

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
It would be pretty messed up if this soil is bad, and I don't see how it could be. The Ph is 6.5-6.8. Moisture meters say it is wet properly. Good time to find out though. I have 150+ gallons of this stuff with worms in it, and it ain't working.

MileHighGuy, thanks for stopping in. Pictures say it all. Look at my order history to see how I have tried to get what I needed. Shoulda been easy... buy this, do this with it, ready for the card number when you are. Dave was blowing my blood pressure sky high with his crap that I just didn't want to hear. I made a web order just after that, except you guys have none of the N you advise to use. And now I need to get some.

That odor is the same as what you get from opening a bag of moist black kow, which was part of the compost (worm casting and mushroom compost the other half). I had the barrel of soil in the house for over a month "cooking", (but it never got even warm), so it could warm up to 70* and be ready. I added worms and let them acclimate. My sinuses hated it, and I have had fungal infestations in my sinuses before.

I will give these plants another week in this soil, adding N slowly, before I change it for something else and see what the roots look like. I will also start another tents worth of new plants, to ensure a crop before I run out.

I never thought this would be easy. But adding the frustration of trying to get the soil materials, on top of all that is involved in going from zero to two tents, hoping for a sustainable perpetual grow, in 2 months, has been an adventure. The environment is 70-2 under lights, 66 at night. Humidity around 52, dropping to 44 at night. I will dial that in closer. I have to get this going soon, because the 20ac outside is starting to wake up, and is needing my attention.

Last edited: