What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grow tent air inlet - conditioning and feeding the air

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Should this be in "deep stoner thoughts" instead? Yes, cause CO2 and tents nave no plce together.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I'm learning that the lung room needs to be stable, provide the air the tents needs (ie cooler during lights on), and to keep the door shut so it can get stabilized. Automation and remotely controlled systems/sensors really help.

The living soil smell makes my sinuses act up, which makes me sleep poorly. The tent room is on the other side of the house, and the remote sensors (moisture, humidity, temp, soon video monitoring) help me not want to mess with things when I am bored. If the tent gets positive pressure, the soil bacteria smell leaks out - so I have to have neg pressure all the time. For that and to ensure continuous airflow through the tent, a booster fan will be added to the long exhaust run. That will be 2 booster suction fans that I set at a constant low speed.

Here is the booster installed. I leave it on "full".

Not trivial to dial this in, but having a lung room that can be kept shut seems to be the key.

Last edited:

troutman

Seed Whore
Maybe, having an air filter where you sleep would help. I try to open a window an hour or two each day
a tiny hairline crack to get fresh air which helps a lot on reducing heat, odors, humidity,etc. all naturally.

ridoo

against smell you can easily set up some ionizer units for a small price, the ionizer element is available online as part for cars or others stuff, it just need a 12V power supply to work

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Proper management of your lung room has a big impact on the grow, yes indeed. :)

I've used the Lux-100, a thermostat controlled outlet, for controlling room temps in my lung rooms for at least 15 years. Plug it in, set your max/min temp and plug in your fans or heater and room temp control becomes automatic. It can be used with one appliance for cooling or heating, so if you need both you'll need 2 of them. I vastly prefer bringing in cold outside air to control heat, while using filtered intakes on the tents.

The living soil presents several issues for me personally. I also have problems with the spores coming from it and work to keep it away from my plants when possible. Most growers are unaware the 'Rich & Earthy' smell from quality soil is made up of multiple fungi spores and beneficial bacteria odors. I love the smell personally, but it clogs my sinuses so I keep it outside. I've gone with hydro for 90%+ of my experience with cannabis and I honestly prefer the absence of 'living soil' smells/flavors from my cannabis. Everyone's awareness controls their opinion, so you can see why mine leans the way it does. :)

Sometimes I spend time thinking about ways of efficiently creating two air spaces. One warm area for the living soil, and a second cooler one for the plants. Some day. ;)

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
My sinuses hate the living soil smell. I had 35 gallons in my bathroom warming up, being stirred and conditioned. Clogged sinuses also = bad sleep. Now that the soil is in the tent, I need to ensure neg pressure of the smell will leak out.

I had one of the thermostat heat register controls in my cart, until I saw the $25 UPS shipping charge. Right now, that would help keep the lung room warm at night, but since night time room temps only drop from 72 to 66, it may not be necessary.

My CO2 never gets under 550, and is usually over 600. 2 dawgs and I must make a lot.