What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Invisible Mode = False Sense of Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skip

Veteran
We have recently changed the invisible mode to be available only to site supporters. Some maybe upset at this, but if you think you have added security by being in invisible mode, you are wrong.

Nobody, especially vBulletin, will tell you that invisible mode offers anything in the way of added security. It is a social feature, not a security one. It allows you to browse the site without appearing to be online.

I'm concerned that some of you may think your activity here is hidden in some extraordinary way by the invisible mode, but it's not. That is not the purpose of invisible mode. It's purpose is to prevent you from being contacted while online by other members. BTW, new members cannot see the who's online list.

In fact, the online status isn't even accurate! You may be gone from the site for half an hour and still appear to be online. So any kind of tracking being done would be inaccurate and therefore useless. It's far more accurate to view post times as the true indicator of when someone is really online, and we don't hide that.

If you are worried about your security, and are depending upon "invisible mode" to provide it, you are mistaken.

As I warned everyone when I created this site for Gypsy, you should use a proxy service to hide your IP# if you are worried. There are other steps you can take too, like using our secure site via https://.

Security begins at YOUR end. We do our best, but we cannot possibly guarantee everyone's security using this site. Your security is your responsibility.

Last edited:

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
Hahahaha invisible is for people to stroke their own misguided egos. If you have to be invisible, you think you are more important than you are. :D

Skip

Veteran
Hahahaha invisible is for people to stroke their own misguided egos. If you have to be invisible, you think you are more important than you are. :D
I get your point, but most ppl with big egos want to be noticed and the center of attention, so I don't think they'd use this feature.

You can be sure any leos monitoring this site (as members) have been using invisible mode. Now they can't, so they might be more obvious now.

D

dongle69

It is a social feature, not a security one. It allows you to browse the site without appearing to be online.

That is why I used it.
When my light is green, I get stalker-like PMs.

Skip

Veteran
That is why I used it.
When my light is green, I get stalker-like PMs.
Since new members can't view who's online now, these should be minimized. You can report a "stalker" or PM spam and we will deal with the person.

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
I've been here a lil while, and I speak my mind, and I let people know what killer cuts I have (or don't), and the worst I ever get is the occasional "Yo hook me up with some thing that yields..."

Invisible here is of less importance,to the ego strokers, due to the fact that there are a couple of hundred users on at any one time. It's amusing to see them at vbulletin sites with like 10 people online - all guests. Then posts pop up. I just think that people who actively hide the fact that their USERNAME is online have their priorities in the wrong place. :D

EDIT - I really don't wanna say it, but if you didn't proclaim to have big tits right there under your username, maybe people wouldn't send you nasty PM's. If another monster or Knick fan hit me up, I'd understand why.

G

guest3854

I used stealth mode and preferred folks not being able to view my online status. Not used as a "security" blanket but a masking agent.

Steele

xOOx

i agree with skip - i don't think it has anything to do with having a big ego.. lego my ego y0.. nobody really pm's me, and i don't pm anyone unless i have too.. i'm not that important, but i rather not have anyone know my usage habits as its most embarrasing how addicted i may be to icmag, lol.

<L> symbol!

i don't think leo would have any advantage to being invisible or not, and most leo out themselves anyway with stupid questions and various other types of behavior. plus the paranoia induced state of some good haze can make even your mom seem like she's working with the feds, lol. is it fair to think that every ic mag supporter is now a possible leo? just to obtain that one feature..

on another note..i think everyone should also notice if your a member of a social group, that your avatar and username go way up to the top 10 members list when you first visit the social group main page, if you refresh on the first social group page your name and avatar will be listed first as most recent activity. usage patterns and habits can be logged there easily since those groups started. i said something but nobody seems to care..is there really a need to show that line of registered members on the social group page. rather just have a link to all members in alphabetical order?

i used to get a sense that the original icmag of a few months ago (pre-updated) had code rewritten/modified to strip out any logs of ip addresses, or logs of any kind were being stored on the server.. and the only way to get an ip out of it is to see what ip's are currently in the servers RAM at the time of the memory poking.. but once its shut off, its all gone.. now after the upgrade i'm getting the sense that it may not be as secure as before? especially with what i stated above. yeah i know all routed traffic into .nl can be snooped and post times/ip addresses can be picked up on and correlated -- if you were really determined, and had deep pockets/power - but i don't know if you could justify that for the 1-2 plant jockeys here..but larger operators should probably take extra precautions.. proxies, etc. and anything that adds a little more security counts.. for example the inviso mode, and https.

can you put my mind at rest at least that the old motto of icmag protecting its members is still in effect? after the upgrade this new "f u ur on ur own guys" is kinda sketching me out..possibly thinking its time to go the way of the ghost.

i really believe it's a good feature if someone just kinda wants to lay as low as possible..in this day and age...and i see the option is still available..but only if you pay? so it must be something people would want. lol. how much do you have to shell out for invisomode? hmm?

i kinda get the feeling like 'first times free' psst..psst......and icmag may be pulling a facebook, if ya know what i mean.

i'd still fight for that option to be default and not an extra chargeable thing..along with removing social group member lists. just as a show of faith that members security is still in the highest regard of admin and icmag.

no offense to anyone, just speaking my mind. or maybe what's on others minds .. and they don't realize it yet.

xoox

C

cellardweller

I know I posted here.
Why was my post deleted after thanking skip for the new info??

soulfly22583

Trust me.. I'm A Professional..
Veteran
Skip - one question - is there any plan to fix the hole in the https access? It was mentioned in the support thread. I went and checked yesterday and saw that the "Private Messages" link is still dropping to an un-secure link.

C

cellardweller

no I'm pretty sure it was this thread skip. right before dangle and barletta got into it..those posts are all missing too..

xOOx

another thing to consider, those who have multiple alias.. even tho the user list may not be 100% time accurate you may be able to figure out with that information who is logged in and who isn't at the same time(s). it can be done w/the social groups too, so if you don't want your cover blown.. you know..keep multiple logins going..mix it up. you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure this stuff out, just be a little clever, good guesser, have super powers, etc. there is so much more too, and some people might shit a brick how easy it is, or how wide open they are..so not going to go into it publically. yeah i'm vulnerable too, i know..but i know what i've gotten myself into, and have the means to defend myself if i had too. it would suck..i know.. but i'd hate to see bricks come down on people who are basically good people, maybe struggling a little more then others..and could go belly up over some silly mistakes, or just not being able to put 1&1 together.. and providing TMI, etc. maybe one day it become legal and everyone look back and laugh, and someone can write a book about how stupid it all was.. but until then..

xoox

Skip

Veteran
another thing to consider, those who have multiple alias.. even tho the user list may not be 100% time accurate you may be able to figure out with that information who is logged in and who isn't at the same time(s). it can be done w/the social groups too, so if you don't want your cover blown.. you know..keep multiple logins going..mix it up. you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure this stuff out, just be a little clever, good guesser, have super powers, etc. there is so much more too, and some people might shit a brick how easy it is, or how wide open they are..so not going to go into it publically. yeah i'm vulnerable too, i know..but i know what i've gotten myself into, and have the means to defend myself if i had too. it would suck..i know.. but i'd hate to see bricks come down on people who are basically good people, maybe struggling a little more then others..and could go belly up over some silly mistakes, or just not being able to put 1&1 together.. and providing TMI, etc. maybe one day it become legal and everyone look back and laugh, and someone can write a book about how stupid it all was.. but until then..

xoox

Again, all this is negated by using a proxy. It's all about IP#s and if you hide yours you're safer than if you don't. Otherwise you are taking a bigger risk than necessary.

Skip

Veteran
Skip - one question - is there any plan to fix the hole in the https access? It was mentioned in the support thread. I went and checked yesterday and saw that the "Private Messages" link is still dropping to an un-secure link.
Where exactly are you seeing this link? The ones I check are all going to the right place. Is it the popup or what?

soulfly22583

Trust me.. I'm A Professional..
Veteran
skip - just noticed that the https hole I (and jones originally) told you about is fixed. Thanks bud! I do appreciate the security =)

D

dongle69

Thanks for bringing invisible mode back, icmag.
Did y'all have a change of heart and make it available to unpaid members again, or is it a glitch?
Either way, I can now stroke my own misguided ego again.
Thanks!

onahah

Ips

Ips

Are the ips saved forever?! i knew i should have been on a proxy.

I was actually using mozilla and the tor shit a while back ,but i got the info on how to set that up from another site. I just glanced at the stickies at the top of secrutity and didnt see anything about proxies or mozilla.

Im on both ie and moz, would anyone be able to give me a bit of a how to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts