What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Outdoor Strains for Mold Resistance

Treevly

Chem Kesey by Bodhi, this plant took 3 weeks of straight rain and shitty weather, not a spec of mold. Tight ass nugs too, both phenos I had, 0 mold, done middle october at over 51N... Next year will run it again for sure!

Buddah Watcha, if you don't mind my asking, how tall did that critter get and when did it finish, more or less?
Thanks very much.

gp7zx69

Veteran
i will be doing a seed run of ultra early love this year and will post some pics of some of the mold proof plants, and possibly a video. a couple i grew 2 years ago were impossibly mold proof, i couldn't get to them at harvest, left them thinking i wasn't going back, later i found them lying in the grass, the slugs had trimmed them for me but there still wasn't any mold.

Tynehead Tom

Chunk D Hashplant.
(F3 of Dr Atomic NL5 x Tom Hill Deep Chunk)
greenhouse worked at 52N (F2 and F3 selecting for deep chunk)
Test grows from BC, Oregon and northern Michigan all proved to be mold and insect resistant, strong robust plants with giant stems, thick branches and respectable yields. Finishing mid to late October.
Bag appeal and nose/flavor are all "worth sharing with your friends" ;)
picture.php

picture.php

Joey Bliss

Yeah landraces can show remarkable durability. It seems so strange to me to see a ganja plant alive outdoors in December when the days are under 9 hours. The one I grew last year, no idea what it's origins were, didn't show a single nanner either. It survived until January. I was surprised by the potency too. Even though it looked terrible and didn't smell too good it got me stoned.

I'm not surprised the Manipuri was the most mold resistant. Don't have facts to back it up. But it seems like the eastern Himalayas, Nagaland, Assam, Manipur, northern Burma and southern China, would be very wet in late flowering.

There was certainly quite a bit of boytritis but it didn't spread through the flowers. Landrace flowers are individual 'compartments'. Even when the flowers are large only certain segments rot and can be trimmed and removed. I've seen far too many dense buds ruined by a small amount of rot running up the central stalk. Even though only 20% of the bud it damaged it's worthless because there's no way to remove the moldy parts.

My biggest problem right now, after I've written off the moldy plants, is that the non-moldy ones have such extensive storm damage. Big waterlogged buds breaking stems. I have a 10 foot tall plant with almost no boytritis but there's so much water the top of the plant was hanging down almost to the ground. Must have weighed over 10 lbs. The damage this does to the THC production is terrible. The flowers are maturing rapidly but the potency is taking a bit hit from the structural damage. At least the weather has gotten cold, it's not going to help dry things out but it should halt the mold from spreading.

The Ancient OGs are showing amazing resistance. The plants have almost no boytritis, even the tops. The problem is that like a lot of stuff it still has a long way to go. The choice is to hack it in 4 days or let it go through a week or more of rain.

The good news is that mushroom season is coming early this year. I just hope this Alaskan weather trend doesn't bring an early frost. I'm calling this an Anti-Nino, wet cool conditions as opposed to dry or warm and wet.
The panic harvest memes in September are gold I must admit. But after 10 years in my spot I finally locked down what to grow n what not to grow. New Jerseys Septembers suck. 20 days or more of rain and 90% humidity at 88-93 degrees. It’s a battle every season but. I learned to let it ride.