What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

size Of donut screen for single 1k

Is the screen to tie the plants back to, or to go between the plants and bulb, protecting them from the bulb?

If the screen is to block the plants from touching the bulb, you'll probably want a diameter of 2-3ft, so you can get as close as 12-18", if you have plants narrow enough to fit that tight, that close to the bulb.

If you're going for 4-8 decent sized bushes, and want to tie the plants back to the screen, you may want a max diameter of about 8ft, to keep plants within 3-4ft of the bulb. If this is the case, your 9x9 may prove a little tight to work around in behind plants.

It depends on numbers / size of plants to a point. I believe a 1k will effectively penetrate about 4ft in general, so I personally wouldn't want the back sides of my plants farther away than that, but I wouldn't want them closer than 12 or 18" to the bulb either, to minimize heat stress.

Hopefully this helps some, but I'm sure there are folks around who can help with more info too... Good luck!

I am intending on tying the plants against the screen..i know with my horizontal scrogs id train(strain dependant) 2-3 weeks after 12/12 and let em go. plants would typically stretch minimal due to the slight train during flowering. i would end up with a sea 12-20ish inch colas with the light about 20-24 inches above canopy. I would start the light a little above 3ft and just let em stretch up to the light without moving.

betshtick

Doesnt 8x8 seem like a bit much for a 1k? I know some people would throw a 1k over a 4x4

It's about right if you want to have some room behind the plants to maneuver, which I always find helpful.

I run a vert room with bare 1k bulbs and to answer the OP, I'd go 12-14" diameter for your screen. I put 8 plants around each 1k, pots roughly 2' away from the center of the bulb. I don't use a screen myself, just steaks and vine clips and keep an eye on things throughout. However, I tie plants back as they start encroaching on that 1' zone around the bulb, any closer and they bleach/burn. Penetration seems to drop off faster than with a reflector (no surprise), so I keep the backs of the plants trimmed and tightly trained so nothing sticks back past 2-3' max from the bulb.

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
its best to be flexible during your shakedown runs , really just make screens for each pot so you can move as necesarry. building something permanent before knowing what the starin will do is no bueno
i can get my buds as little as 6 inches away from my cooltubes without burn but had to keep at least 12 -16 running bareback, it was harder to control temps bareback as well

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php