What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Would this 25 dollar pre-owned commercial 400W grow light do?

NorGreen

A new bulb will run me another 50, including shipping and taxes - total of $75

A magnetic ballast, bulb and a cheap tin sheet reflector - $150
A magnetic ballast, bulb and a decent reflector - £250

With 6 lights the totals are $450 vs. $750 vs. $1500

First indoor grow, will be growing organic, mostly for my own medicinal use, and others in need.. of course, a little extra in the pocket would be nice, but I wouldn't be growing organic if I was trying to make the most of it - at the same time, everybody wants to get more in return for their efforts..

How much difference in grams pr watt would you expect in a well tuned grow? Any difference to speak of with a less fine tuned grow?

If the $1500 lights performs significantly better, it's a no brainer when I "have the money" - that is to say, its doable.
Just a 5% increase gives me 120 grams extra.. that might just balance out the universe.
If as much as 10%, it's a no brainer to use a credit card even :D
....if the output is significantly higher, for grows that are less fine tuned..

A doobie for your thoughts :)

Uhm.. how do I upload photos?

NorGreen

DOH!

Attachments

• _480622178.jpg
    _480622178.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 8

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...don't worry about being on the wrong forum, one of the mods will move it.

...anyway, for $25.00 i might consider it so long as i could confirm that it worked, i assume the seller has a bulb so you can plug it in?

...i would maybe not consider it if i wasn't confident i could dismantle it and remote the ballast out of the fixture and the grow space, that ballast runs hot.

...if you're handy and/or you have some electrical experience or, you feel confident in your ability to follow fairly simple instructions, then this shouldn't be too difficult.

...btw, you're gonna need bulbs for any light you buy so don't count that as part of the fixture cost.

peace, bozo