What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Looking for information or a mentor on curing bulk amounts of medicine

positivevibesNJ

Greetings !
I am currently working for a medical dispensary and have recently been given the opportunity to start curing our medicine. Our harvest are very large anywhere from 50-100lbs of medicine. Normally with heavy patient demand we did not the time to cure, now with larger grows we do and I am looking for help. I understand the curing process and have done it on a small level. But I am looking for tips and tricks on how to handle and cure such a large amount. I have decided on using 5 gal buckets.

http://www.uline.com/BL_1296/Liquid-Screw-Top-Pails

They will hold anywhere from 2-3 lbs of medicine depending on strain and with 100 lb harvest that will make for about 50 buckets in the curing process at a time.

I was wondering if I am going to have to invest in 50 hygrogmeters or is there a machine that can test quickly than I can just purchase 1 or 2 of ?

Any information or links, or networking greatly appreciated ! :thank you:

Easy7

Veteran
If I were rich which I am certainly not and I could grow without fear which I also cannot....I would build a humidity controlled room to dry and cure in. Fancy wood walls and humidity control like with cigars or wine.

Buckets or 55 gallon steel drums are good too. Get something of the right size and the lid can pop off and get air in for the first month once a day.

Speed of green

30 gal+ Sterilite bins work well, depending on the flowers you can normally get 4-5 pounds in each tote.

i dry till the stems bend/snap 12-14 days and then buck everything down into 20-24" lengths flowers still on the stems, untrimmed & put them in the bins.

you can leave them in the bins until your trimmers get around to it about 1.5 months is the longest ive left them, since the lids arent air tight there is no need to burp them unless you put them in too wet.

keep the bins stacked up in a room with 50-55% humidity, check bins weekly for decay, i had a mouse die in a bin once.

you could do the same thing with trimmed flower although ive never tried it, although by the time my trimmers get to it its normally had a two week dry + two week cure.

check big lots or walmart for bins, normally they can be had for 2-3 dollars if you look around.

5 gal buckets could work, but i dont like the lids being air tight and they are kinda expensive plus you cant fit a ton of weight in them, but it could work if you have the time to monitor each bucket.

theJointedOne

Veteran
you want 45 hum, 65 temp, with air movement but not air blowing on plants,

master your dry skills and the cure comes so much eaasier

lizzy3

If I were rich which I am certainly not and I could grow without fear which I also cannot....I would build a humidity controlled room to dry and cure in. Fancy wood walls and humidity control like with cigars or wine.

Buckets or 55 gallon steel drums are good too. Get something of the right size and the lid can pop off and get air in for the first month once a day.

i think this would actually be the way to go!

i have had an obession with cigars for 20+ years and used to store my daily stuff in a good sized desk top humidor. spanish cedar and all.

i could only hold a qp or so of mixed bud seperated into cooking tins so was never in there long enough to see much.

if actually trying to do the best for big scale a walk in or closet style humidor like they use in cigar stores would work well. humidity, air flow and temp all controled pretty easily, even dyi.

could then just put the bud into wire bins or seal up in vac bags.

have done that in 50gal cooler for safe storage too.

Cadfael

Home De Pot has cheap 5 gal buckets ($3 ea) and then you can buy the twist top adaptations (on the home website) for 3 for $20.

I hope it helps.

Last edited:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Fuck, threads like this amaze me. You want to cure a box and have no idea how? Fuckin amazing. Best of luck...

Dude... We're all on the same team here. Sounds like he's in learning mode. (As we all are).

I've seen curing in Turkey bags, clear recycling garbage bags, and my favorite, Great Value Paper Yard Waste Bags -10 bags for $5! (too bad they don't open sideways :shucks: ). [Speed of green] Mentioned the 30 gal bins (walmart has them) and the bonus there is the stackability. I going that route next time.

EsterEssence

Veteran
I like the 30t gal totes I just add craft paper on the bottom and a layer on top, check them every couple weeks.

CrushnYuba

I cure larger amounts then that regularly. Ganja farmers are silly. They reinvent the wheel. I cure more like a tobacco farmer. On the line for most of it. Curing is just slowing down the drying process. I would just start out by taking the bulk of the moisture out at around 55% humidity, then raising it. No reason you can't do your entire cure in the drying room with enviroment control. It also prevents flat spots on buds.
Also, if you want to Get dialed, Get a good moisture meter. Hygrometers measure moisture in the air. You want to know the exact moisture in the bud. The triminator one is great because it self checks calibration but it is just a rebranded moisture meter for carpentry. You can Get then from hardware stores.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
How can you be put in charge of sumthin like drying a 100pack with no experience ... says everything bout today's game.... just wow, best advice I can give ya is cover your bases n Don't over think it. 50 buckets with meters , fuk no mang. Main most important really the only important thing is make sure your shit is perfect dry when binned if it's not your fucked basically no matter what ya do. get big bins n a climate controlled room, do not trim prior, this will cause the smell to fade much quicker.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
You build a room and don't use plastic bins or tubs or metal.

Even a garden shed can be turned into a drying room. A bit of plastic sheeting, a fan, ac unit and dehumidifier.

I've seen an old chicken coop turned into a temporary drying room. lol

CrushnYuba

Well that's the way to do it proper. Dry and cure on the line. Frame out a big room. 2 rooms is even better. Dry room and cure room.
Run cable across both rooms with turnbuckles. Buy a poop ton of dry cleaner wire hangers from a dry cleaner Supplyer. I use the 16" stronger ones. The 18" are a thinner guage. Boxes of 500 are like 40$ shipped.
When its dry, transfer to the cure room. If you get overflow, get wide but shallow cardboard boxes and stack them. Flip the whole box and open the other end to burp. Ta-da.

Then personaly i have it all bucked down off the stem. Being careful to never let get to dry. Then run it through a dry trim machine in an extremely dry room. Binned up and ready for touch up by hand!

Latest posts

Latest posts