What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mattis

insomniac_AU

Another senior member of Donald Trump’s administration is quitting.
Defence Secretary James Mattis, widely seen as a stabilising influence on Mr Trump, has announced he will resign on February 28, giving the President time to find and nominate a successor.
In his resignation letter, General Mattis told Mr Trump he had “the right to have a Secretary of Defence whose views are better aligned with yours”.

He cited disagreements with Mr Trump on the treatment of America’s allies - and its adversaries.
“While the US remains the indispensable nation in the free world, we cannot protect our interests or serve that role effectively without maintaining strong alliances and showing respect to those allies,” Gen Mattis said.

He pointedly mentioned the 74-nation coalition against Islamic State as an example of that principle at work.
Yesterday Mr Trump announced his decision to withdraw US forces from Syria and declared Islamic State had been defeated.
He was subsequently slammed by members of his own party, who called the decision a “betrayal” of America’s allies in the region, the Kurds.
Gen Mattis also implied Mr Trump had been too soft on Russia, whose influence in the Middle East will grow as a result of the withdrawal.
“I believe we must be resolute and unambiguous in our approach to those countries whose strategic interests are increasingly in tension with ours,” he said.
“It is clear that China and Russia, for example, want to shape a world consistent with their authoritarian model.
“That is why we must use all the tools of American power to provide for the common defence.
“My views on treating allies with respect and also being clear-eyed about both malign actors and strategic competitors are strongly held and informed by over four decades of immersion in these issues.”

Mr Trump has frequently been accused of being too friendly towards Russian President Vladimir Putin, particularly in response to Russia’s meddling in the 2016 presidential election.
His critics have also taken issue with his praise for North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un in the wake of their summit in Singapore.
Overnight North Korea said it would not denuclearise until the US eliminated its own “nuclear threat”, undermining Mr Trump’s claims he had secured a denuclearisation deal at the summit.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/wor...a/news-story/a9280c36528b33de756cf8af56697f75

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm sure some folks here will be quick to point out he's "retiring", NOT resigning, not upset. SOON we will start hearing that he's a traitor, snowflake, democrat, leader of the deep state, loves Mexican rapists, etc .... Let the machine start rolling! (While they still can)

Mengsk

You can see a fork or a split in the logic, or reasoning of military and law enforcement. Former military soldiers may enter into contract employment as mercenaries with private companies overseas. Former soldiers may also go into law enforcement or armed security here after serving military duty.

My rights as a citizen include not financially supporting any benefactors of combat. That is my choice. When someone says they support the troops that isn't necessarily a universal phrase or sentiment.

Armed forces have been involved in a large scale drug war or wars for decades including with cannabis. Refraining from weapons or standing up to any armed security or transport may be nearly if not just as difficult as staying away from the rest of the bad guys.

In other words I am not hiring security and I oppose being extorted or paying anyone armed for protection transportation or otherwise. Once again we have an interesting question of who is valuable in our world/society and for what reason.

The middle east may have areas of conflict due to international involvement including war for oil. A history of violence in that part of the world is public knowledge as far as I know.

This does not mean here in my part of the United States which has 300 million people that I want to have armed guards patrolling and burning fuel driving armoured trucks around. I boycott all of that my time effort or money is unable to support such.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Goddammit, where all the donny bois at? Can't wait to hear the daily spin! Your killin me making us wait!!!

Badfishy1

Retiring in Feb... mueller investigation ends in Feb... overhaul in gitmo... hello military tribunals *sips tea*

vta

Veteran
Mr Trump has frequently been accused of being too friendly towards Russian President Vladimir Putin, particularly in response to Russia’s meddling in the 2016 presidential election.
His critics have also taken issue with his praise for North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un i

What a shit show !

You guys make me laugh.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
He can shoot someone in time square and get away with it.

Now he can hand Syria over to his buddy Vladimir and Iran? Kurds loose. Nobody else wins.

Mattis refused to be the enabler and quit (not retiring). He's a patriot.

'Boogieman'

As a Trump supporter I think leaving is a bad idea, just like Iraq terrorists will gang back up and take power of certain parts again. Mattis is a good guy, but not everybody gets along with each other.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
He can shoot someone in time square and get away with it.

Now he can hand Syria over to his buddy Vladimir and Iran? Kurds loose. Nobody else wins.

Mattis refused to be the enabler and quit (not retiring). He's a patriot.

Actually the Turks. Rumour is the Pentagon approved the sale of missiles to Turkey on the same day, raising speculation they bought the right to slaughter Kurds again, as the last time they tried the SDF moved under the wing of American forces.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Actually the Turks. Rumour is the Pentagon approved the sale of missiles to Turkey on the same day, raising speculation they bought the right to slaughter Kurds again, as the last time they tried the SDF moved under the wing of American forces.

Yes. You're right.

Turkey should be more in line with NATO. Probably one of the top reasons Mattis wants to hang in Syria for some time.

Mattis was a strong pick that sailed thru confirmation and has done a solid job. But dont fool yourself he's an entrenched cog of the military industrial complex machine.

He's leaving due to differences of opinion, he wants endless war and expansion of military footprint. Trump wants us out of these pointless conflicts, I support that.

But you guys believe whatever MSN and cnn feed you, you all seem like real independent thinkers.

redlaser

Veteran
Mattis was a strong pick that sailed thru confirmation and has done a solid job. But dont fool yourself he's an entrenched cog of the military industrial complex machine.

He's leaving due to differences of opinion, he wants endless war and expansion of military footprint. Trump wants us out of these pointless conflicts, I support that.

But you guys believe whatever MSN and cnn feed you, you all seem like real independent thinkers.

Are you able to discuss any individual stories offered by MSN or CNN that you believe are incorrect?

Or are you discounting everything they say because because chump does it?

For instance, I think that Fox News routinely makes stuff up, but can also have broadcasters speaking truth that can be verified elsewhere.

I think that liberalism is a mental disorder. And most libs are simply blind followers, NPC's if you will. The exception being the leadership obama, clinton, pelosi.....bernie, they live lavish lives in ivory towers. All they do is program and push buttons.....making the NPC's do their bidding.

Were the folks here (I'll call you folks because I understand that NPC isn't a nice term, and I dont want to hurt swollen feels gland) so concerned about the Kurds when our jug eared pussy of a President was slithering around squawking about his red line?

Or did the concern come up after the liberal media put the issue into your empty heads?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bit of a laugh calling your opponents blind followers as you regurgitate a stream of catch phrases and cliches born on right wing platforms (a surprising number of which are fake news clickbait factories in Eastern Europe).