What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Landraces . Will we ever smoke what we once had? If no is there a Way back?

romanoweed

Landraces . Will we ever smoke what we once had? If no is there possibly a Way to get them back?
So here i wana talk about breading from the Start on. Assume we would have a Strain: its breading History would have been perfect, so we would have the perfect Weed but at one point there we just imbread it too much or there was a contmination of wrong Genes, we made a mistake. What is actually the perfect Path? Whats the wrong one.
Also, are we running in the wrong Direction even as Seedhunters cause there is just to big of a seedcollection needed to generate some Hospitality for our Contaminated Seeds(like only from the BLANKEST untouched wild cnnabis we can fix) so would we rather use some further developed Landraces to fix things
Are there actually BLANK untouched wild Cannabis Strains that are strong or did it only become strong trough Human Breading to a certain Degree? I still dont know this. Like if old tribes brought it to become strong cause Selection .
What then is actually the Landrace Strain that we Talk ourselfs of or hear old Hippies talk? Whats the Best or goes in to the Direction of beeing the Best?
I wanna point your Attention to what goes into the Direction of beeing the Best ? Assumed the Path on that we went is a Selection of Blank/wild Cannabis so mathematically say it was picked up almost in a slight Circle arond one Center. And then this Result Was probably like outcrossed(just to a very small Degree, cause this would be modern Hybrids that are what we dont like) to an other regional stationary Species(Result of a Blank/wild Cannbis collected in a slight Circle)
So, trough wich Rhythms did these rare Milestones go , where are the Exemplares standing that we hould now in our hands . Or say it like : what is there what we dont own and what is to be Searched for to further Progress instead of rather selecting around with a to little nuber of owned Strains.?

thi.jpg
Cannabis Passion

Attachments

• thi.jpg
    thi.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 33

CannaZen

I'm not exactly sure where your going with this, Landraces/Cannabis have always mixing, even though Indica/Marijuana hybrids are being introduced into once virgin areas they will always be geographically unique.

Inbreeding can make the palette really quite narrow indeed, particularly in small plant populations, I think plant hormones make up quite a lump sum regarding taste. Outdoors, the larger the genotype the larger the unique adaptive expression the plant may take on in phenotype.

Something interesting, I've seen patterns in later growth related to nitrogen deficiencies in earlier growth, I believe that epigenetic may carry to seed plant experiences.

romanoweed

First, (not to confuse im talking about the Creation of Landrace-Strains) To my understanding: todays Breeders only use two or three Landrace-Strains as Source to generate their wanted Landrace-Strain, but how would you proceed if you work with a far bigger amount of landrace-Strains as Source, how can one calculate the summing up of many introduced Genes?

CannaZen

In spain most hybrids I've smoked which is just about everything has me scared paranoid. Hashplants sure from this one plant will have cbd thc ratios i'm telling just by by color and leafs expression thc cbd "hemp" heritage.

romanoweed

So that means the Hemp-Heritage/Rawnes/Landraceness wich was undeniable was not really fitting into its Cross, made with the Hashplant? Does i understand this right?

And No, I dont mean the crossing of such different Origins like say Southafrican Landrace with Middleamerican Landrace with Southasian, i mean it ONLY in a more Little Region like say Southafrica (summing up Southafrican Genes) cause otherwise that would be named Hybrid wich is NOT at all what i wanted to say.
Im speaking about the particular ways how a SINGLE/PURE powerful Landrace could be (or was) created out of its Region. And with Outcrossing i meant just a very little Outcrossing, just to do a little Jump / Step like 500miles/km apart , but definetly more than a Totally Regional Summing of Genes.

Yeah im just speaking about Forms , how to sum up many Genes.

CannaZen

Jesus. Epigenetics, it is virtually all plant-line successions in uniformity, growing as a single unit.

Cannabis genome isn't so much as a small circle around a single point as it is a unique isolate direct descent of present expression : uniformity.

Kingdom: Plantae Clade: Angiosperms Clade: Eudicots Clade: Rosids Order: Rosales Family: Cannabaceae Genus: Cannabis

Last edited:

CannaZen

I'm still trying to understand.

Breeding for beginners

MENDEL's first law is the principle of uniformity. It says that, if two plants that differ in just one trait are crossed, then the resulting hybrids will be uniform in the chosen trait. Depending on the traits is the uniform feature either one of the parents' traits (a dominant-recessive pair of characteristics) or it is intermediate.

MENDEL's second law is the principle of segregation. It states that the individuals of the F2 generation are not uniform, but that the traits segregate. Depending on a dominant-recessive crossing or an intermediate crossing are the resulting ratios 3:1 or 1:2:1. According to this principle hereditary traits are determined by discrete factors (now called genes) that occur in pairs, one of each pair being inherited from each parent. This concept of independent traits explains how a trait can persist from generation to generation without blending with other traits. It explains, too, how the trait can seemingly disappear and then reappear in a later generation. The principle of segregation was consequently of the utmost importance for understanding both genetics and evolution.

MENDEL's third law is also called the principle of independent assortment. It says that every trait is inherited independently of the others and it thus covers the case that new combinations of genes can arise, which were not existing before. We know today that this principle is just valid in the case of genes that are not coupled, i.e. that are not located at the same chromosome.
in 1866 that was to become the foundation of modern genetics. In contrast to his predecessors MENDEL was not interested in the problem of the sexuality of flowering plants and not in the delimitation of species and varieties, his interest was the numerical registration of the transmission of parental properties to the hybrids. He approached it in a completely new way that differed from those used before in three points:

oldchuck

Veteran
Nobody is going to be breeding landraces in this age of high science. Just think a minute about the word -- Land-Race. It means a plant variety of a species that develops on a particular piece of land with its own climate, own soils, own predators (including humans). If you introduce the species elsewhere, like in a greenhouse, it will no longer be a "landrace". The genes would change, try to adapt. Theoretically you could produce your own landrace on a few hundred acres but it I don't know how many generations that would take. Many.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
Nobody is going to be breeding landraces in this age of high science. Just think a minute about the word -- Land-Race. It means a plant variety of a species that develops on a particular piece of land with its own climate, own soils, own predators (including humans). If you introduce the species elsewhere, like in a greenhouse, it will no longer be a "landrace". The genes would change, try to adapt. Theoretically you could produce your own landrace on a few hundred acres but it I don't know how many generations that would take. Many.

this is a good point there oldchuck
in addition to the genetics, the landrace is also adapted to its native enviroment
a lot of what made them unique was the terroir, or the microclimate they were grown in
the volcanic soils of the islands, the rich soils of the jungles around the world, and the unique blend of temperatures and humidity all went into what we call the "classic landrace strains"

CannaZen

Hashplants were said to have originated from multi-purpose plants, CBD, THCV, CBDV, THC were grown together in the fields. There are 70's journals of the Cannabinoid content of hash from lebanon, pakistan, afghanistan. 1 2 1 ratios to be found where 1 part thc dominance, 2 parts 1:1, 1 part cbd dominance.

Last edited:
Can you give me a reason?

::EDIT::

Nevermind, 1 part brave. 3 parts fool.
I have no scientific explanation so this is purely opinion (dont hate me :) ) but i just feel it muds up the gene pool. I am also well aware lots of breeders/pollen checkers do this today but i am against the practice is all.

I grow fem and reg but only breed reg.

For anyone with Netflix the other night I watched an episode of a series called "Explained" about cannabis evolution and it's human intervention.

It talked about cannabis has evolved right a long side humans dating back thousands of years. And how humans have been altering this species ever since, and how humans and cannabis have evolved together basically.

It was actually a really informative show and touched on parts of cannabis breeding that you don't hear much about.

nice gonna have to check that out

Oregonism

Maybe there doesnt need a way back, especially with recent desegregation of sorts.

Humans for all purposes have segregated cannabis since before the chinese and in recent history by politicizing.
Now, we have more avenues to generate outliers from an environmental perspective.

Who also says that every single plant isnt capable of intersex and therefore makes it impossible to segregate out of the genome, although phenotypical expression could rely on environment/epigenetics. Would explain a lot in terms of genetic data coming out from phylos and kannapedia

romanoweed

right Cannazen increasing the Pallette could be an intresting Goal. But how would it increase more ? by crosssing Landraces nearer to each orther or wider .? Or, how far should we go, would there be a to much of the Palette, so we would end up in a Pulp ? And could we even reach out to the full Palette ?

CannaZen

Well I'm going to keep clones of my plants thats a start, right now i need to pop some more seeds in the next season to find a stud and more, Thats a start right there. With my plants there may be inbreed depression going on at some degree. At the same time they express a great amount of adaptation. Some of the leaves were very large and she then took on a bushier frame from atop earlier structure. I'm still learning, I'm still yet to see what may arise from future progeny. Leaf size may be related to allele frequency. Actually a few of the small wide leaves resembled half of a leaflet! like half the leaf is missing! It will take some work. I'm curious how future progeny may make up this loss.

You may see my album if your interested.

Last edited: