What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

URGENT QUESTION NEED HELP!! MITES!!

So I've done a couple neem oil baths for all my plants up to the day that I started flowering them... i sprayed them here and there until the third week of flower and now in week 6 one out of the six plants in there has mites with webs across the main colas....

MY QUESTION:

can i fully submerge these in my neem oil/ soap mixture at this point in flowering?

IT IS PRECISELY DAY 45 FLOWER

any help is much appreciated and the sooner the better cause one of my babies is in isolation

S

SeaMaiden

I would have been treating every three days, not this haphazard method you're outlining. Mite eggs hatch typically every three to five days, so hitting the plants every three days helps you break the lifecycle.

Use a mixture of 50/50 isopropyl alcohol to water sprayed on the plants every three days RELIGIOUSLY. Using 91% iso is better than the lower percentage iso. Raising humidity also 'disables' the mites, they really don't like high RH. Another very safe product you can use just as religiously is JMS Stylet oil, again applied every three days.

Neither product will cause problems at this point in flower, both are perfectly safe, and neither needs to be rinsed to prevent flavoring the buds.

thanks a lot for the feedback guys. Know some of you are shaking your heads and saying NOOB! and just leaving without a comment so thanks for the help

so SeaMaiden I gave them a neem oil bath last night cuase i was panicing and didnt know what to do... as a further preventative i think i will try out your water/alcohol method in a couple days when the mite eggs are supposed to hatch. That sound good?

mad librettist

Veteran
you need to read up on integrated pest management

what seamaiden said is great advice, but I will flesh it out a bit. sometimes, spraying every 3rd day won't work as well as spraying every 4th or even 5th day. Why? depends on the life cycle of the mite population IN YOUR GARDEN. The lifecycle will change with temperature and humidity.

humidity - as humidity goes down, mites are able to process more food, and breed more
heat - mites breed faster in warm temps

start with spraying neem under the leaves, not soaking. when you mix up your oil and water, start with your oil measured out and your soap, and just a cup or two of water. run that through a blender or hand blender. now you can add your emulsion to the rest of the water (warm please).

the day after you spray inspect a leaf you know had mites. if you see only eggs but no mites, it's time to start counting. Every day, you will inspect until those eggs hatch, and when they do you will make a note of how long it took. You want to spray after the eggs start to hatch, but before new adults start to lay. spray early or late, and they will be safely in their eggs where neem can't touch them.

now, using an electronic device that will remind you, set up calendar events for each day you will be spraying. Keep up the schedule based on their life cycle for at least 2 weeks after they disappear.

good luck! I'm trying lavender tea right now, with apparent success. Maybe come over to the organic forum and ask about the lav tea approach later in flower.

takkada

might tr this .

might tr this .

i use azatrol in a situation like yours , it kills the adult mites on contact then messes with the life cycle of the newly hatching eggs and its a systemic that is food safe.:dance013::dance013::dance013: i also add 1 or two mil of sm90 for a wetting agent . mites hate this stuff and it makes everthing stick better from the water retention. it can be sprayed every 5 days until harvest if needed . i would also take a sponge wet it in this solution and take the time to gently wip down the bottom of leaves to remove as many eggs as possible . repeat in 5 days as needed . im not saying my way is the best but it has worked before for me , good luck bro with what method you choose . and after your crop deffinatly clean room and take preventative mesures , peace.:thank you:

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://www.amazon.com/Monterey-Take-Down-Natural-Insectiside/dp/B0018C55Q8

^You need take down garden spray. safe till day before harvest. never spray with lights on.

41h8wFfZK7L._SY450_.jpg

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I would go with Azamax. Good until day of harvest. This stuff really works.

Good luck.

"Good until day of harvest"

For anyone who's interested in STELLAR class cannabis... you'll ignore this fruit grower advice.

You Cannot wash cannabis like fruit... therefore, following directions for a product designed for hard-skinned fruit and veggies... will ruin your cannabis.

Basically you screwed yourself. *sigh*

This is why I advocate people to have a steady maintenence regimen in their veg cab. I don't care if you have mites or not, you should be using azamax/azatrol or some other neem oil product as a soil drench or in your res.

Dose your gals at day of flower (NOT SPRAY) and they become anti-mite machines for 30 days. Dose them again about 3 weeks in and you'll get a super clean harvest at 60 days. With no mite issues.

This is also assuming that you have a "clean" room. This means smooth clean surfaces, no carpet, clothes, boxes of junk or other places that mites can hide/breed in.

Filter your air intakes.

Whatever you do... don't spray anything but water on your plants during flower... and even then you'll want 'CLEAN' water (less than 50ppm)

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

RetroGrow

Veteran
"Good until day of harvest"

For anyone who's interested in STELLAR class cannabis... you'll ignore this fruit grower advice.

You Cannot wash cannabis like fruit... therefore, following directions for a product designed for hard-skinned fruit and veggies... will ruin your cannabis.

Basically you screwed yourself.

Typical snarky response from the king of snarkiness. Sometimes I forget that only you produce "STELLAR" class cannabis. The rest of us smoke schwag. And, of course, you, with your heightened senses due to autism (albeit "high functioning) and only you can discern the difference.
My post came directly from General Hydroponics, maker of the product, who say, and I quote:"Can be applied the day of harvest". And, no, they are not talking about fruits or veggies, although it can be used there. They, as you might know, make products for cannabis, sold in hydro stores. And of course, I, as even you must know, don't recommend using it the day of harvest or anywhere close to that. Just noting that it's safe. Too bad your heightened senses don't work over the internet.
And, please, another Shrug. We can't get enough of those.

Last edited:

Granger2

Veteran
Mad Librettist has a good approach. Persistence is what counts.

I've had good luck with Azamax/trol, Spinosad, Insecticide Soap, pH'd water w/wetting agent. The key is that I don't spray, I dunk the plants. This gives 100% coverage and removes many mites and eggs. Though it's a PIA, if your plants are well staked, you can do this in late bloom if need be. I would only use pH'd water w/wetting agent past about week 3 of bloom.

For the mites I get [red spider mites], I hit them, then again in 36 hours. This knocks their numbers way back. That may be all you need to get them thru harvest with minimal mites. I always spray the floor, walls, door, bottoms and sides of the containers.

I try to keep from having problems in late bloom by prevention. Someone posted saying that watering/feeding with 1 teaspoon/gal of azadiractin monthly acts to repel mites without affecting taste/smell to humans. I've been doing this for 6 months and the mites haven't returned. In the past they were a recurring problem. Good luck. -granger

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Typical snarky response from the king of snarkiness. Sometimes I forget that only you produce "STELLAR" class cannabis. The rest of us smoke schwag. And, of course, you, with your heightened senses due to autism (albeit "high functioning) and only you can discern the difference.
My post came directly from General Hydroponics, maker of the product, who say, and I quote:"Can be applied the day of harvest". And, no, they are not talking about fruits or veggies, although it can be used there. They, as you might know, make products for cannabis, sold in hydro stores. And of course, I, as even you must know, don't recommend using it the day of harvest or anywhere close to that. Just noting that it's safe. Too bad your heightened senses don't work over the internet.
And, please, another Shrug. We can't get enough of those.

You're retarded. *shrug*
I really don't care what GH says. Facts are facts.

Even people who are NOT sensitive can taste sprays, used in even as little as 2 weeks into flowering.... just takes a bit of training.

Doesn't require my "super sensitive" palate that seems to piss you off so much.

Some folks are happy with mediocrity... I present the info for better. Take it or leave it.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

S

SeaMaiden

I've yet to hear a single complaint about odd flavors in my bud. I spray, sometimes right up until the day of harvest. I've even dunked harvested plants if I have a reason. The question is with what. When we're talking the two weeks prior to harvest, I limit the "what" to things like OxiDate and JMS Stylet oil. I've tried one other horticultural oil and it was AWFUL, so I hitched up mah britches and got the JMS. It's useful for so many things my garden can't do well without it.
thanks a lot for the feedback guys. Know some of you are shaking your heads and saying NOOB! and just leaving without a comment so thanks for the help

so SeaMaiden I gave them a neem oil bath last night cuase i was panicing and didnt know what to do... as a further preventative i think i will try out your water/alcohol method in a couple days when the mite eggs are supposed to hatch. That sound good?
Yeah, hey man, we've gotta do what we've gotta do. I think the iso mix will aid removal and reduction of whatever latent flavors or scents the neem may impart. And just remember, be PERSISTENT!

mad librettist

Veteran
how one prepares a neem spray is also crucial when using the raw stuff.

by simply using a blender or hand blender, you can create a much better emulsion, which means you can reduce the dosage from 1 oz per gallon to about a third of that. you'll also avoid globs of oil that burn

S

SeaMaiden

how one prepares a neem spray is also crucial when using the raw stuff.

by simply using a blender or hand blender, you can create a much better emulsion, which means you can reduce the dosage from 1 oz per gallon to about a third of that. you'll also avoid globs of oil that burn
Is this true of *any* neem preparation you may make, or only the raw product you're referring to? That's a very helpful suggestion, never would have thought that using something to help create the emulsion might allow one to use so much less product.

Thanks guys! Especially librettist and seamaiden.

So i made a mix of neem/iso/soap/water, blended it and put it in a spray bottle and sprayed ALL my plants.

However i have already dunked the infected plant in neem/soap/water 2 days ago and as advised looked for eggs in the areas they had previously been and found none.

So i decided Im not going to dunk the plant again but i will continue a spray regimen of Neem oil, isopropyl alcohol, soap, and water every four days or sooner if i notice hatched eggs.

As for this lavender tea... you water with it?? or is it a foliar spray??

S

SeaMaiden

Thanks guys! Especially librettist and seamaiden.

So i made a mix of neem/iso/soap/water, blended it and put it in a spray bottle and sprayed ALL my plants.

However i have already dunked the infected plant in neem/soap/water 2 days ago and as advised looked for eggs in the areas they had previously been and found none.

So i decided Im not going to dunk the plant again but i will continue a spray regimen of Neem oil, isopropyl alcohol, soap, and water every four days or sooner if i notice hatched eggs.

As for this lavender tea... you water with it?? or is it a foliar spray??
Foliar. I read of jaykush's lavender tea elsewhere, so I don't have the recipe with me, but it's pretty straightforward IIRC. Let me see if I can find it. Nope, but if you start with, say 1 cup of lavender flowers and let that steep in about a gallon of clean water for a day or two, you've got it started if not done. Needs an adjuvant, I use dish soap.

You could try watering with it, though. I've been reading of fascinating results using different types of flowers as extracts with which to feed, Camellia being another interesting one. Can't remember who did the experiment with his azaleas, but the results were quite noticeable.

Mighty Wash is by far the best I have ever seen or used. They also make a PM wash and a power wash product that is awesome as well. The Mighty Wash can be used all the way up to the day of harvest and it contains NO toxic chemicals of any kind at all.

This stuff is nothing short of amazing!!! Anyone who has not tried Mighty Wash should seriously give it a try...you will not be sorry!!

This stuff is ready to go right out of the bottle so all you need to do is shake it up and start spraying! No measuring or PH or anything needed.

The only thing even in Mighty Wash is a wetting agent (.0000001%). The other 99.99999% is what is called "Frequency Water". Not sure if you guys have read any about new studies being done with water these days but it turns out that water has "memory" and some other very amazing properties that can be manipulated. I know it sounds crazy and like hocus pocus stuff but I assure you it is all legit and many studies are finding amazing new properties.

I have actually duplicated some of these experiments or I would not believe it myself!!

Latest posts

Latest posts