What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grow Tent OutGassing / Offgassing WARNING!!

neuroherb

Cheers thanks for the info on the panda stuff I don't use it myself, but have certainly had no issue with mylar. A friend used the silver mylar on his tank the way I do with the white and claimed to have some streaking in the silver side but not growth problem issues. No worries Shopvac better to ask than suffer and at least Mr Bongjangles has been able to give you an answer.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Hello peeps, just checking in the info and soaking up some info after being gone for a long time!

Thanks neuro for a great thread as always!
Shopppy!!!!!!!!!!! Bout time!!!!! :D :waves:

neuroherb

Alright so better late than never as they say is some pics of my Homebox test.

This is the Homebox XL version 4 as stated previously with the original white PE interior. The small amount of yellowing is purely from the fact they were in the last 2 weeks and as you can see from the drying rack the yield isn't to bad. These Mirre clones are direct taken from this one posted earlier that had suffered the toxic tent syndrome in a cheap one I got from an auction site.
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=1994695&postcount=13

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 18
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 24

neuroherb

And a couple more

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 22

Sunseeds

Hello all,

I just purchased a 4x4 sunhut and it has the bottom SILVER lining so I should be all set right? I put it all together and the bottom on with a friend as it was tight to stretch around, I was wondering how to get the full tent on, the directions were very short and not very informing, I'm sure I can figure it out I haven't really had time to mess with it other than put the poles together... but if anyone has any advice or suggestions to make it easier when I do get to it it'd be appreciated!

Thanks, peace & Love growwww on everyone :0)

treedup

Maybe I missed it in this thread, but I have a Hydrofarm Habitat that I bought about a year ago. Are there any known issues with those??

I seem to be having a serious issue with the yellowing and burning of all of my fan leaves and I can't figure out why.

Does anyone have any pics of what plants that went through an entire cycle in these toxic huts look like? My leaves are starting to curl at the end and become brittle like fingers closing. I have a SunHut white that I bought probably 6 months ago so I am assuming that the cause is the tent. My more experienced friend passed me some clones for my first grow and he found out he had a toxic tent so when they went kaput he figured it was because they had started in his hut. But from what I am reading here if you pull them form the hut they'll recover so that coupled with the no matter what I do they start to ugly the same makes me think the hut is the problem. Is SunHut still denying a problem and refusing to replace them? I'm a renter so I can't just build a room and I don;t know that I can afford another hut for awhile if these babies go tits up because of the hut.

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello all,

I just purchased a 4x4 sunhut and it has the bottom SILVER lining so I should be all set right? I put it all together and the bottom on with a friend as it was tight to stretch around, I was wondering how to get the full tent on, the directions were very short and not very informing, I'm sure I can figure it out I haven't really had time to mess with it other than put the poles together... but if anyone has any advice or suggestions to make it easier when I do get to it it'd be appreciated!

Thanks, peace & Love growwww on everyone :0)

Yeah, silver lining Sun Huts should be fine, as long as the floor part is silver too.

Here's a video of a Homebox being put together.. Should be similar to setting up a Sun Hut:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa1vKiGk13I

Maybe I missed it in this thread, but I have a Hydrofarm Habitat that I bought about a year ago. Are there any known issues with those??

I seem to be having a serious issue with the yellowing and burning of all of my fan leaves and I can't figure out why.

Definitely a major problem with the Habitat tents.. I myself got a bad Habitat tent as a replacement for a poisonous Hydrohut, here's a thread I started on it about a year ago, so right in the timeframe when you got it:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=81740

Ditch the Habitat tent for sure, and don't let them tell you that it is caused by a lack of airflow.. If I recall correctly, the Hydrofarm standard response is that you need to exchange the air in the tent insanely fast, but really they know the tents off-gas and the plants can only survive if the poison never has a chance to build up.

Does anyone have any pics of what plants that went through an entire cycle in these toxic huts look like? My leaves are starting to curl at the end and become brittle like fingers closing. I have a SunHut white that I bought probably 6 months ago so I am assuming that the cause is the tent. My more experienced friend passed me some clones for my first grow and he found out he had a toxic tent so when they went kaput he figured it was because they had started in his hut. But from what I am reading here if you pull them form the hut they'll recover so that coupled with the no matter what I do they start to ugly the same makes me think the hut is the problem. Is SunHut still denying a problem and refusing to replace them? I'm a renter so I can't just build a room and I don;t know that I can afford another hut for awhile if these babies go tits up because of the hut.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=65544

Lots of pics in that thread, and my seedling pics are a few posts pack in this thread.

Thinking it over, you're not going to find one person with pics of the same plants from seedling to flower, as growth is basically stopped in its tracks by the off-gassing.

I dunno what Sun Hut's official take is, but you might want to contact your retailer first (assuming you didn't get it off ebay or something,) as they will have prolly dealt with Sun Hut already when other customers brought them back. Who knows, they may be able to give you a replacement silver model or store credit right away and then deal with Sun Hut for you.

TheDude#1

Hey people,

I am new to the forum here and have been reading this thread as i have a grow tent and i am just about to put some ladies in to flower. As i have never used the tent before i dont know its one of the ones which could be affected, so i was just wondering what are the 1st symptoms of this and what do they progress to?
Thanks folks

shopvac

what do you guys think about metal duct insulation offgassing...the kinda meant to stick to solid metal ducting...its adhesive and has a rubbery typer material between the layers....and certainly stinks after putting it up....now im tempted to take it down.

I will be going back to the store and reading the package within a day or so to see what its made out of...I never even considered it till it started to stink up my room.

Outgassing or something else?

Outgassing or something else?

I bought a Sunhut last year the dreaded white PVC one but I don't know if it's the toxic one since this is only my second grow but since my much more experienced friend has been holding my hand through it all I am leaning that way. The first one was with some clones form a friend who found out he had a toxic hut a few weeks later. The clones shriveled up by the time they where done budding and produced next to nothing but my friend assumed it was because they started in his hut. I tested my soil PH and it was fine but my fertility was very low (all I could find locally/in a hurry was one of those soil meters) so I fertilized. Based on the info I have passed to my friend he thinks I have a hut issue. I am enclosing pictures of two leaves I plucked off to get a better picture of them. The plants are about a month old. Is this what toxic huts do to leaves? I don;t want to return the hut as the problem if I am screwing something else up. I'll try to get my buddy to do up an infirmary form for me. Thanks! :wallbash:

Attachments

• DSCF2017.jpg
    DSCF2017.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF2019.jpg
    DSCF2019.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF2018.jpg
    DSCF2018.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 22

neuroherb

Your leafs look burn't but don't have the typical yellowing. It is a SunHut white and PVC so is concerning. But I think you could also have some general nute burning going on as the leafs look green rather than yellow on the central vein.

You say the plants are a month old? if that is the largest leaf you have then they still seem small and maybe shouldn't be on a high nute concentrate. Clone or Seed?

If it were me I would bin the SunHut just to be sure but I would also watch and start a grow log thread to get some of the folk here a chance to help.

Buddog

Hey fellas.
I recently bought an eziTent. Supposed to be PE not PVC.
Here's what my healthy plants looked like after 6 days in it.
I've been growing for a long time using the small methods, nutes etc, and never seen anything like this.
Fist time I use a tent and this happens to my plants.
It kind of mimicks sulphur and iron deficiency, which I've never had personally but I've seen pics.
I'm sure this is a fine example of off gassing.
I've taken them out of the tent and the tent out the room.
Hoping they recover.
Any recommendations to aid recovery from this off gassing crap.

Attachments

• SSS Off Gassing.jpg
    SSS Off Gassing.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_3787.jpg
    100_3787.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 18

neuroherb

They are exhibiting the yellowing, but its not to far gone so should recover quickly if off gassing is at fault now you removed the tent.

TheDude#1

may have this problem!!!

may have this problem!!!

Hey guys,

Im looking for a bit of advice cos i think i may have this off-gassing problem. I am currently growing my 1st grow in a grow tent (it is silver lined in the inside, but does have a white floor part), i have been assured this tent has never had any problems but you never know! Anyway i had started my ladies in a different room for the veg/grow stage and have only just moved them into the tent to flower, they have been in the tent for just over a week now and are starting to show signs of what may be off-gassing! As they were fine b4 they went into the tent and i havent changed anything regarding feed etc i am unsure what the problem is but i really do think it is off-gassing! Do you think this may be due to the white floor part or the tent its self? Also the only thing i can think of which may be causing this is because where i am it is cold i have to run a small fan heater for 15 mins every 2-3 hours in the dark 12hr, so this would cause some temp and humidity flucuations, so dont know if this may be causing it or if it is because of the cold nights and warm days temps difference!!!
I will post a pic of what the leaves are looking like at the yellow part!!!
And if any of you guys can give me any hel or advice it would be highly appreciated!!!
So thanks again all!!!!!

Attachments

• Yellow Leaf (6).jpg
    Yellow Leaf (6).jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Yellow Leaf (4).jpg
    Yellow Leaf (4).jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Yellow Leaf (1).jpg
    Yellow Leaf (1).jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 20

neuroherb

There is a few folk around here know about the white floors and thats the problem. The silver tent skin should be ok just remove the floor and see if you can get it changed.

KingTitan

Just to be clear, the black and white panda poly they sell at hydro shops by the foot or roll is safe to use? I never smelled anything funky even on the first day I unwrapped it (bought it end of Feb 2009. i know what toxic vinyl smells like, my wife's new shower curtains need to be aired for a few days outside after removing from packaging)

shopvac

ok im definitly showing signs of offgassing...I will get pics up shortly but it looks exactly like this thread

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=103659

Im not using a tent and cant really think of anything that would be offgassing besides the duct insulation i tried to use and it stank so I took it out.

its a sealed room and it has me quite worried. :(